Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Radiator Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:48 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
BB procedure....

1) Drain coolant (drain **** is on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side).
2) Remove 2 bolts holding the overflow reservoir.
3) Remove overflow reservoir. Replace 2 small hoses connected to reservoir by squeezing clips with pliers and sliding them away from the ends. Remove and replace hoses, putting clips back in place on the new hoses.
4) Remove upper an lower radiator hoses by squeezing clips at the ends with pliers and sliding them away from the ends. Replace with new hoses and put clips back into place.
5) Refill system with 50% coolant/50% distilled water. You can adjust the ratio to less coolant depending on your climate if you like. System capacity is about 10.5 quarts including overflow reservoir.
a) Refill reservoir tank to MAX line with 50/50 solution
b) Remove driver side intake box to access air relief plug on the back side of the radiator at the top. Remove the air relief plug.
c) Remove engine cover. Remove another air relief plug on top of the heater hose that runs behind the driver side TB and beside the brake reservoir box
d) Replace the drain **** on the bottom of the radiator. SLOWLY refill the radiator with the 50/50 solution. When the coolant begins to come out of the open air relief hole in the radiator, stop filling and replace the plug. Continue filling SLOWLY until it begins to come out of the open air relief hole on the heater hose. Stop and replace the plug and the radiator cap. Rinse overflowed coolant off of the engine (it has a strong smell if it is left on the hot engine). Run the car up to operating temperature and check for leaks. Continue to run for 10 minutes and then shut it off and let it cool. Remove radiator cap and check level. If it's low, remove air relief plug on the heater hose and slowly refill until it flows out. Replace plug. Do this until the level doesn't drop. If you refill very slowly, you won't have air trapped in the system and you wont have to top it off more than once if at all.

Some of us do our own maintenance

Edit: Never claimed an hour did I? Maybe 2....? I'd take as long as needed before handing the dealership $665($700-$35 oil change. See, I did read it)to do something as simple as replacing hoses...There's a dozen how-tos for replacing coolant bypass hoses; or deleting them.

Last edited by RMB5190; 03-09-2018 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GeezerB (03-09-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Джон
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I took my intakes off today Takes about 5 minutes

I had a shop here change all four rotors and brake pads. I supplied the parts. They charged me 200 usd. I feel that's fair 700$ for radiator hoses is straight up robbery. That dealer should be reported for fraud
Old 03-11-2018, 02:07 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Джон
I took my intakes off today Takes about 5 minutes

I had a shop here change all four rotors and brake pads. I supplied the parts. They charged me 200 usd. I feel that's fair 700$ for radiator hoses is straight up robbery. That dealer should be reported for fraud
Just for peace of mind, I called the next closest dealer & they quoted me the same price. Must be where I live penalty?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Doesn't matter dealer location. All of them will rob you the moment they get. You're not the first, certainly won't be the last.

Finding a reliable indy mechanic is a PITA but they're worth their weight in gold if you can find one that you trust.