MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   Headers for g37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/193585-headers-for-g37.html)

G37HKS 04-18-2009 02:43 AM

Headers for g37

Hey guys im thinking about adding headers on my g37S 7AT and i got this link.. here http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...odel=G37%202DR

so guys what do u think? is it useful? or just useless talk? is it really add some hp?? btw dont care about the cash. so no need to say its expensive just please tell me what do u guys think about this headers. bcuz if u guys said its not good then ill remove it from my mind though.. and btw guys if u have any idia about if there is any better quality headers than stillen then plz link it to me and ill take care of cash :)

Thanks, Jam

aliiin 04-18-2009 02:54 AM

it will make your car louder and gain some HP... with a reflash + headers you'll gain more

sTiLLBaLLiN37 04-18-2009 03:15 AM

if money isnt a problem get the Impuls

G37HKS 04-18-2009 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by aliiin (Post 2606740)
it will make your car louder and gain some HP... with a reflash + headers you'll gain more

okey thanks :) but what is reflash?

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37 (Post 2606752)
if money isnt a problem get the Impuls

what is impuls and what it do? can u show me a link of it please :)

BradManUWF 04-18-2009 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by jjn07 (Post 2606760)
okey thanks :) but what is reflash?

what is impuls and what it do? can u show me a link of it please :)

Wow, def a new guy to the car scene. Ok, reflash is changing or "flashing" your car's computer that controls the engine management. This is done to adjust the air/fuel ratio along with various other things.

Impuls is a company that makes aftermarket parts/accessories for cars and is one of many. Go to www.froogle.com and type in G37 "insert part you're looking for here" and browse. I also suggest you browse the following sections just reading and learning things about your car and what's available for it.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...induction-309/
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-and-exhaust-328/

Here are some links to sites that carry parts for the G37:
http://www.hpautoworks.com/index.php...x&cPath=13_927
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/index.php
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...54215.67.132.1
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...s/Infiniti/G37
http://www.street-power.com/ing37pe.html
and course there's searching through eBay

terrycs 04-18-2009 10:41 AM

Has anyone beside the manufacturer actually quantified the added gains from headers? I ask because the car already has tubular headers from the factory. People can then decide if they are worth it.

BradManUWF 04-19-2009 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by terrycs (Post 2606855)
Has anyone beside the manufacturer actually quantified the added gains from headers? I ask because the car already has tubular headers from the factory. People can then decide if they are worth it.

Good question. Anybody? Bueller Bueller?

Ivoidwarranties 04-19-2009 09:34 AM

I've heard in the past that the stockies flow pretty decent and the aftermarket ones are just not a good bang for the buck. I haven't done this personally so I can't verify that.

SOLISIMO 04-19-2009 11:01 AM

Do a search, there are guys running headers with a tune and showing 20+ HP

G37Sam 04-19-2009 11:25 AM

neverbonestock is the only one I know off..

c@ciq got them shipped but not sure he installed them

SOLISIMO 04-19-2009 11:29 AM

How about AZG37 that sold them a long time ago, and the guy that did the reflash with technosquare making 350 hp to the wheels

DCook42 04-19-2009 11:54 PM

I've got the stillen headers installed... those, and CAI and Cat back have combined to make my car pull harder and sound more aggressive, especially at WOT.

Next week (I hope) the HFC's, Wheels, and springs will be put on (and a spoiler).

I haven't dyno'd my car, but it's something I'd like to do down the road when I get a tune or install the cobb AP and try the 2+ map, since it was designed for the airflow mods I've done.

So to answer your question, I can hear 'em, feel 'em, but I ain't got any numbers on 'em :cool: When I'm done with everything, I'll get some pix/vids up.

G37Sam 04-20-2009 12:04 AM

have a look at this dcook

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ml#post2607985

DCook42 04-20-2009 11:25 AM

I took at look at that link, which was pg.2, not sure what you're getting at Sam. Are you saying headers are worthless or good? Page 1 however opens with:

" ...My review No gains from headers and loss of Torque. Final report. " and a graph.

So must be that's what you're referring to...?

Either way, don't matter now! I'm not going to uninstall them! If headers don't do anything, then the increase in power I feel must be from the CAI or the exhaust, or a little bit from each. Who knows dude. My goals are simple and modest in the grand scheme of things: throw on some bolt-ons, some wheels and springs, tint, and maybe a cobb and be done with it!! In a few more weeks my goals will be met, and I'll be grinning from ear to ear :coolio:.

My car will probably never meet a track, but you'll see me smoking people on the Merrit Pkwy lol. Knowing me, I wouldn't bother with a track unless I had FI - not that the car's not capable, but that's just me.

SOLISIMO 04-20-2009 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by dcook42 (Post 2608209)
I took at look at that link, which was pg.2, not sure what you're getting at Sam. Are you saying headers are worthless or good? Page 1 however opens with:

" ...My review No gains from headers and loss of Torque. Final report. " and a graph.

So must be that's what you're referring to...?

Either way, don't matter now! I'm not going to uninstall them! If headers don't do anything, than I the increase in power I feel must be from the CAI or the exhaust, or a little bit from each. Who knows dude. My goals are simple and modest in the grand scheme of things: throw on some bolt-ons, some wheels and springs, tint, and maybe a cobb and be done with it!! In a few more weeks my goals will be met, and I'll be grinning from ear to ear :coolio:.

My car will probably never meet a track, but you'll see me smoking people on the Merrit Pkwy lol. Knowing me, I wouldn't bother with a track unless I had FI - not that the car's not capable, but that's just me.

Please dont waist your money on the cobb

DCook42 04-20-2009 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO (Post 2608212)
Please dont waist your money on the cobb

Yeah we'll see about that vs. a custom tune...

Regarding headers though, if I had the means here's what I would like to see:
1 - stock car - dyno it. Install headers, then dyno it again.
Since if you're doing headers, you're probably doing other stuff too... so then,
2 - install your cai, cats, cat-back, or whatever you want on your "final build" - dyno it. Install headers, dyno it again.
Then, if you're really curious, remove the headers from your "final build".
3 - with your "final build" and stock headers, get a custom tune - dyno it. Install headers, get another custom tune - dyno it.

Now we can really draw some conclusions. We would *assume* that your custom tuned car with all mods and headers should put up the best numbers. If the numbers were equal to, or greater (or even a little less) with stock headers, then we can say aftermarket headers aren't worth it. I wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case.

I'm not tryin to defend headers here, but I hope they do something positive since I did spring for 'em. True apples to apples comparisons would be ideal, but that's alot of dyno runs and def outside the scope of what i'm tryin to do.

SOLISIMO 04-20-2009 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by dcook42 (Post 2608222)
Yeah we'll see about that vs. a custom tune...

Regarding headers though, if I had the means here's what I would like to see:
1 - stock car - dyno it. Install headers, then dyno it again.
Since if you're doing headers, you're probably doing other stuff too... so then,
2 - install your cai, cats, cat-back, or whatever you want on your "final build" - dyno it. Install headers, dyno it again.
Then, if you're really curious, remove the headers from your "final build".
3 - with your "final build" and stock headers, get a custom tune - dyno it. Install headers, get another custom tune - dyno it.

Now we can really draw some conclusions. We would *assume* that your custom tuned car with all mods and headers should put up the best numbers. If the numbers were equal to, or greater (or even a little less) with stock headers, then we can say aftermarket headers aren't worth it. I wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case.

I'm not tryin to defend headers here, but I hope they do something positive since I did spring for 'em. True apples to apples comparisons would be ideal, but that's alot of dyno runs and def outside the scope of what i'm tryin to do.

Ill stand behind you on the headers, but remember right now stillen is the only one in the game. Do a search for my header thread, some insiders say other companies will be out soon

christian655321 04-20-2009 01:17 PM

IMO save your money, I have come to believe that NA mods just prolong the inevitable and the gains you feel are minimal. You can save yourself some time and money just go FI and call it a day.

One_Legged_G37s 04-20-2009 09:04 PM

Ok.... well if FI is the only way to go, can the Stock engine handle a twin setup???

aliiin 04-20-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by One_Legged_G37s (Post 2608725)
Ok.... well if FI is the only way to go, can the Stock engine handle a twin setup???

apparently the VQ's are very responsive to FI... GTM i think got an auto g37 making 455 whp 338 ft/lb torque at 5 psi on 91 octane fuel... pretty good imo

oOmikeyboy 04-20-2009 09:11 PM

Yep, the VQ's take FI nicely. The only problem is some of us dont really have 15k cash in hand, ready to put down on a turbo kit, without taking out some kind of loan. The down time on a turbo kit installation is too wide, ranging from 2-3weeks to MONTHS.

On the other hand, its quite common for us to come across a few hundred here and there, or maybe 1500-2000 for an exhaust, etc. This is why you see people buying headers, intake, and stuff like that.

The point i'm trying to make is that N/A mods, while don't really make a difference, are much more affordable than going TT. Thats without looking at it from a "total cost" perspective.

G37HKS 04-21-2009 10:12 AM

hold hold hold it guys.. so u people are telling me that g37 full stock already have headers from the company??

eeeeew it must be weak headers then

oOmikeyboy 04-21-2009 10:17 AM

Huh? All cars come with headers stock. Aftermarket headers are supposed to increase airflow through the exhaust, thus creating power.

christian655321 04-21-2009 10:46 AM

from reading your replies , I think you should have a look at the modding 101 thread. This will help you to understand the benefit of different NA mods and how they work.

labor on installing the Headers is going to cost you probably just as much as the headers themselves. If money is no object for you, then go FI. The other route is to do all the NA engine mods and have a small hp\torque gain in comparision.

C@ciQ 04-21-2009 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jjn07 (Post 2609073)
hold hold hold it guys.. so u people are telling me that g37 full stock already have headers from the company??

eeeeew it must be weak headers then

Bro have you ever had a car before or even sat on one,lol. You need to go back to your big wheel or power wheels.:bowrofl::bowrofl:. just joking

MaxToTheG37 04-21-2009 01:19 PM

JJ, I think since money is not an option you hire me to be your advisor and ill answer your PMs with valuable information on what mods to do and not do....

Speaking of that... C@ciQ ... you owe me some $$$

C@ciQ 04-22-2009 09:57 PM

Ha ha. Paypal or money order?

C@ciQ 04-23-2009 02:31 AM

Just being noisy lol:
http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaus...id-dyno-2.html

G37Sam 04-23-2009 03:25 AM

so you're not the only one with that issue eh? more reason to keep stock headers!

C@ciQ 04-23-2009 03:38 AM

It all came to last word of tuning...we have to see.

C@ciQ 04-23-2009 03:43 AM

Still is almost 50 hp over my numbers. Same engine, similar mods and he's running over 310hp. Makes no sense to me. There is no better explanation for the difference on dynos.

G37Rider92649 04-23-2009 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by G37Sam (Post 2611252)
so you're not the only one with that issue eh? more reason to keep stock headers!

what issue??

G37Sam 04-23-2009 03:58 AM

What's even funnier is that you got UR pulley too and still they're making different numbers.. could it be their ECU's react different to mods than our cars or is it also same ECU?

G37Sam 04-23-2009 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by G37Rider92649 (Post 2611299)
what issue??

minimal/almost zero gains for so much $$$ spent :dunno:

C@ciQ 04-23-2009 04:03 AM

I havent install the pulley yet.

G37Sam 04-23-2009 04:05 AM

^ so what are they doing on your signature lol

C@ciQ 04-23-2009 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by G37Sam (Post 2611314)
^ so what are they doing on your signature lol

We run out of time that day of the headers install but dont worry Sam it will be there this weekend.;)

G37Sam 04-23-2009 04:13 AM

keep them coming bro :biggthumpup:

G37Rider92649 04-23-2009 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by G37Sam (Post 2611304)
minimal/almost zero gains for so much $$$ spent :dunno:

for stillen headers?

G37HKS 04-25-2009 02:51 AM

haha omg you guys are funny :P:P i asked you guys about headers bcuz i couldnt make my mind up i was confused in putting or no.. and now looool u guys made me more confused arrrrg

IS STILLEN HEADERS ADD SOME HP OR POWER OR ETC??? YES OR NO??

SOLISIMO 04-25-2009 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by jjn07 (Post 2613088)
haha omg you guys are funny :P:P i asked you guys about headers bcuz i couldnt make my mind up i was confused in putting or no.. and now looool u guys made me more confused arrrrg

IS STILLEN HEADERS ADD SOME HP OR POWER OR ETC??? YES OR NO??

Yes you will see gains BUT your car will need to be tuned to see maximum gains. Over on the 370Z forums guys are seeing mad gains and feel them too. PM on who has the best price on the headers, Ive been shopping around:cool:

tlon19 04-27-2009 11:51 PM

yeah dude,the hearders the main reason i made that much power

yacoub 04-30-2009 06:01 PM

^^^ hey nice numbers for bolt-ons! 350 at the wheels is sweet.

561g37 05-01-2009 07:15 AM

got 2 b careful wen installing them tho the o2 sensors are really hard 2 get off the shop i took mine 2 couldnt and i had 2 spend 850 to get new ones

dannbla 05-01-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 561g37 (Post 2618370)
got 2 b careful wen installing them tho the o2 sensors are really hard 2 get off the shop i took mine 2 couldnt and i had 2 spend 850 to get new ones

Damn 850 just for the sensors

C@ciQ 05-01-2009 09:53 PM

It all depends on who is doing the job and the circumstances. I had my O2 sensors removed first for my HFCs and later for my headers. Results: Until this day no SES or CEL.

RickyBobby 11-12-2015 12:08 PM

I've always had this question. Isn't flashing the ECU just basically loading on a pre-loaded map with whatever mods are present at the time? If you want full on engine management to where you customize it with the dyno tune, that's something different and what would be a good one? I need flashpro for my TSX, not sure of the G37 equivalent as I just bought the car a few days ago.

Originally Posted by BradManUWF (Post 2606789)
Wow, def a new guy to the car scene. Ok, reflash is changing or "flashing" your car's computer that controls the engine management. This is done to adjust the air/fuel ratio along with various other things.

Impuls is a company that makes aftermarket parts/accessories for cars and is one of many. Go to www.froogle.com and type in G37 "insert part you're looking for here" and browse. I also suggest you browse the following sections just reading and learning things about your car and what's available for it.

Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction - MyG37
Intake and Exhaust - MyG37

Here are some links to sites that carry parts for the G37:
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/index.php
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...54215.67.132.1
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...s/Infiniti/G37
http://www.street-power.com/ing37pe.html
and course there's searching through eBay

JM Auto Racing 11-12-2015 01:30 PM

don't forget jmautosports.com :-)

R3M1NGTON 12-27-2015 07:32 PM

Still wondering if people have good comparison numbers for the different headers out there.

ANMVQ 12-28-2015 07:35 AM

Depends on the car tho, If you have a AWD sedan the only headers for you are Stillen or knock offs. :( I tried Momentum s( Z1) and the driver side didn't fit. Primary tube hit the motor mount. Just bought Stillens.

chuckie311 12-28-2015 05:37 PM

rock auto is the place to get sensors i picked up 2 for under 250 shipped

Originally Posted by dannbla (Post 2618924)
Damn 850 just for the sensors

Shayan Rajan 08-25-2017 04:54 AM

Headers worth it?

I have 2013 G37x 7AT. So far, I have a dc short ram intake, hks hi power mufflers, a megan racing y pipe, and Kinetix hfcs. Considering getting aftermarket headers to improve my performance and sound. How much louder does it make your car? How much faster? What's a good company that's not too expensive? Are headers worth it? And lastly, can you install it yourself, and if you cant, how much does it cost for a shop?

zer099 08-25-2017 10:09 AM

How much louder does it make your car? I noticed a tonal change, not a volume change. Car sounded a tad deeper, especially on cold startup.

How much faster? Hard to say as I didn't get just headers and a tune but also addressed my intake plenums and TBs.

What's a good company that's not too expensive? As a AWD own I believe your only option is Stillen. All the others either have not be tested on a AWD or are proven to not fit without impacting something.

Are headers worth it? This is only going to get you an opinionated answers. I personally feel it is. It has gains. Dollar to HP I imagine it would not be bad if it wasn't for the install cost.

And lastly, can you install it yourself, and if you cant, how much does it cost for a shop? You can. You may wish you didn't, but you can. If your cat bolts or seized, you can't get to the exhaust bolts easily, or you do not feel good dropping the steering linkage and reattaching it without buggering it up I would talk to a few shops about doing it. If you are a hardcore DIYer with a large allotment of tools and a free weekend, go for it.

If you search a little bit more there are a few write-up and reviews of headers on the VQ and on the AWD VQ. I would go over the the 370z forum as well and search; a few write-up there as well including some before and after dyno sheets. Good luck!

chuckie311 08-25-2017 03:02 PM

read my thread below i did a before and after dyno with just headers and then tuned

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...er-thread.html

just remember every dyno is different and every car is different you might see higher or lower gains..

Originally Posted by Shayan Rajan (Post 4154259)
I have 2013 G37x 7AT. So far, I have a dc short ram intake, hks hi power mufflers, a megan racing y pipe, and Kinetix hfcs. Considering getting aftermarket headers to improve my performance and sound. How much louder does it make your car? How much faster? What's a good company that's not too expensive? Are headers worth it? And lastly, can you install it yourself, and if you cant, how much does it cost for a shop?

Mattlorentzoe 12-18-2017 10:38 AM

Seems stillen has discontinued their headers????

not on the website and a lot of other vendors say discontinued...

ive has nothing but issues for the last year in relation to hard right turns with the stillen ceramic headers. Stillen headers are a joke, glad to see nobody else is going to get stuck with that crap. Should of just bought a quality header from a quality company. O well, win some loose some.

zer099 12-18-2017 02:15 PM

Ya, if the discontinued it its for the best. They were hit and miss. I am more than happy I didn't have issues. That said the merge collector internal welds were sloppy as F*. I spent a good couple hours on each header cleaning them up with a grinding and sanding bits to promote good flow.

MerakiAutoworks 12-21-2017 01:59 PM

Get PPE headers. They're the best.. Contact us for pricing!

-Josh

Ryan V 03-07-2018 02:43 PM

Does anyone know If putting headers in is something I can do in my garage?

zer099 03-07-2018 03:31 PM

If by garage you mean fully stocked garage with a compliment of impacts, cutting and welding tools, and a lift or pit for ease of access; then yes. Sarcasm aside, if you are a competent wrencher, have a day and all the tools it could be done, but it is not an easy job, especially if you have any rust or the like on those bolts and nuts. The removal of the steering joint is enough to scare most away from this job.

If you just read any of this and even the littlest voice in the back of your head said "maybe I should pony up the $600ish dollars in labor to not have my car ripped apart in my garage for a week, blood on my hands, and feel slightly defeated" then just save the little more for labor, call around and find a shop that will do it for you. If you have a secondary car, feel up to the fun, and don't car if it takes longer than one day then go for it. I have read of at least two guys that claimed to have done it in like 4 hours, which is awesome, but read a ton more talking about the horror of seized nuts and tight situations.

Eric_p05 03-23-2018 10:51 PM

What headers did you install on your 37 bro?

Originally Posted by tlon19 (Post 2615233)
yeah dude,the hearders the main reason i made that much power