MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   New camber kit, still have negative camber (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/260973-new-camber-kit-still-have-negative-camber.html)

hizzle101 08-25-2014 01:49 PM

New camber kit, still have negative camber

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys i just installed the SPC camber kit set, and am not happy with the results, before the kit i had about 3degrees camber, now with the new kit its at the same place.. the guy alligning the car said this is the max in the rear and to tell my wife to get me life insurance because this is not safe at all?? i thought to myself this isnt a nice thing to say to a customer but i didn't say anything at all and just let him finish his work.. attached is a copy of the report. anything im missing? and also im lowered on H&R's

GoFightNguyen 08-25-2014 02:07 PM

Wow, that is very odd. H&R springs do have a VERY deep drop, but I think you should be able to do better than that with the camber kit. IIRC, factory spec in the back is -1.8ish.

Why is one toe + camber and the other -?

Who installed the camber kit? Can you verify that they maxed out the camber arms in the rear? Take a pic of where the turnbuckle sleeve is.

ChinkyChoy 08-25-2014 02:09 PM

did you widen the holes when you put the bolts in the rear?

also -3 degrees of camber isnt even that bad... just make sure they are the same

make sure your toe is in spec it will help your tires last a little longer

hizzle101 08-25-2014 02:11 PM

i didn't do the installation, i took it to the shop for installation, then they're alignment machine blew a breaker so they suggested i took the car to Just Tires..

What do you mean turnbuckle sleeve?

blnewt 08-25-2014 02:17 PM

That shop is either incompetent, didn't use the rear toe kit, or used the rear toe kit without elongating the slot. Those kits will allow you to easily get in spec if everything is installed properly. They've probably never done one of those toe kits before, or are just lazy.

hizzle101 08-25-2014 02:20 PM

it's a pretty well known shop? they have worked on a bunch of g's in the past and should be a good shop, my assumption is that their alignment machine was down so i had to go to a regular allignment shop and maybe thats the reason because they're not used to alligning these types of cars? im pretty certain the shop that installed them should be competent.

HoldmyMouse 08-25-2014 03:20 PM

Dumb question but was it a full kit (front A arm and rear arm)? Front seems ok but no way you will be in the -3* with camber arm in the rear. Take pictures of kit on car.

hizzle101 08-25-2014 03:36 PM

i can take pictures in a bit, yeah its a full kit, with from a arm and rear arms, for $499, spent 150 for installation and 65 for alignment. the whole point of this is to save my tires! and i feel 3 degrees will wear it out!

GoFightNguyen 08-25-2014 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by hizzle101 (Post 3816079)
i can take pictures in a bit, yeah its a full kit, with from a arm and rear arms, for $499, spent 150 for installation and 65 for alignment. the whole point of this is to save my tires! and i feel 3 degrees will wear it out!

150 for installation?!

That's your issue. No way they drilled out the slots for the toe bolts. That in itself takes an hour. My install took 4+ hours for Ron Bergenholtz to install and adjust.

hizzle101 08-25-2014 04:03 PM

yeah i don't think they drilled out the slots for the toe bolts..

algeee37s 08-25-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen (Post 3816087)
150 for installation?!

That's your issue. No way they drilled out the slots for the toe bolts. That in itself takes an hour. My install took 4+ hours for Ron Bergenholtz to install and adjust.

My installation also took about 4-5 hours, he did springs and camber and then the alignment 2 weeks later.

Originally Posted by hizzle101 (Post 3816079)

I see your in LA so if you need the guy that did mine, he's very thorough, I can give it to you, PM me.

hizzle101 08-25-2014 04:10 PM

i called them up and told them the situation, he said he installed everything including the new bolts, he did not widen the hole in the rear, the process took about 3 hours in total. how much would it be for your installation in la?

blnewt 08-25-2014 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by hizzle101 (Post 3816101)
i called them up and told them the situation, he said he installed everything including the new bolts, he did not widen the hole in the rear, the process took about 3 hours in total. how much would it be for your installation in la?

Yep, problem almost solved, if they didn't widen the toe slot there's no way they're getting that camber down while keeping toe in spec. Widen the slot, and realign and you should be good!
And if they've done a lot of lowered Gs but didn't widen the toe slot then that would fall into the incompetent or lazy category :(

GoFightNguyen 08-25-2014 04:54 PM

Labor in LA is $50 an hour? That is nuts. Going hourly rate here in Houston is ~100.

Black Betty 08-25-2014 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen (Post 3816126)
Labor in LA is $50 an hour? That is nuts. Going hourly rate here in Houston is ~100.

That's too high for an independent shop and too low for a dealership. Where are you paying that?