MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Body Interior Exterior Lighting (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting-314/)
-   -   2011 foglight retrofit thread (https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting/214863-2011-foglight-retrofit-thread.html)

myk1013 11-23-2010 01:03 PM

2011 foglight retrofit thread

Ok, so now we've seen pics of the non "S" 2011 G's with the '08-'10 sport bumper with foglights in the faux vents. It's good news for us '08 -'10 S guys who want to do a retrofit into our bumpers.

Let's all use this thread to help each other out.
I really want to do this mod. And I want to do it right.

Things we need to find info on... maybe we can have Kenny "da mayor" help us get some answers for these.

1) 2011 OEM Fog light assembly ###, Price??
2) How to deal with the washer fluid reservoir issue?
3) Wiring..... where to tap the foglight's power source, etc... (keep in mind they are seperated in the 2011 headlight assembly)
4) seperate switch options. (so we can turn the fogs on without the headlights on)

That's all I can think of right now...

Mazaki 11-23-2010 06:07 PM

For the 2011, are there still fogs in the headlight assembly? Because retrofitting would be the simple matter of striping a wire and tapping in, really, if that is the case.

Black Betty 11-23-2010 06:22 PM

Photos of the new foglights yo speak of.

To wire them, you should simply splice into the existing wiring to the current fog lights, it will be controlled by the existing switch on the stalk. To control them separately without headlights having to be on , you simply need to tap into the wire for the parking lights (I think).

Mazaki 11-23-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 3007544)
Photos of the new foglights yo speak of.

To wire them, you should simply splice into the existing wiring to the current fog lights, it will be controlled by the existing switch on the stalk. To control them separately without headlights having to be on , you simply need to tap into the wire for the parking lights (I think).

Yup, that's correct. If you want them on with the parkings, wire into the parkings. However, you would always have them on when your headlights are on. Which might be bad if cops in your town have something against fogs.

I'd splice into the current fogs. It'd look kinda neat actually, to have four fog lights come on when you flick the switch. :JAMIN: Then you could aim your headlight ones a bit higher, and you'll have some nice coverage.

Betty, here's pics of the new fogs, for sport and non-sport. They ditched the old non-sport bumper, and now the sport bumper from 2008-2010 is gonna be the non-sport for 2011. The new sport bumper for 2011 looks mean, to be honest. The new non-sport fogs should snap right into the place of the side vents.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...g37-coupe.html

oreoleo 11-23-2010 06:52 PM

The new headlights, what's in place of the fogs? DRLs? are they powerful?

Gee37S 11-23-2010 08:17 PM

I know in Canada the 08-10 fogs are used for DRL. My guess is that instead of making a new headlight for the 11+ they will just use the old fogs as DRL...

CryofMankind 11-23-2010 10:55 PM

Does anyone know if the 2011 still has fog lights with the Intelligent Cruise Control sensor??

Black Betty 11-23-2010 11:56 PM

Not impressed, I'll pass. They don't look like they were designed along with the car, they look like they were added on as an afterthought. And the chrome is godawful.

The ICC sensor is completely separate from the fogs, they have nothing to do with one another. You can still see the ICC cutout in the center of the grill in some of the photos.

speedracer g37 11-24-2010 12:09 AM

the fog bracket may be the only thing that would look good plasti-dipped.

myk1013 11-24-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 3007732)
Not impressed, I'll pass. They don't look like they were designed along with the car, they look like they were added on as an afterthought. And the chrome is godawful.

YEah, I know what you mean BB. My plan is to plasti dip the chrome trim.

Tapping it into the existing foglight wires would be my last choice. I really want it to run independently.

Looks like the foglight housing protrudes out of the faux vent grill, so maybe they're still using the same previous washer fluid reservoir tank behind it.

1SiCkG 12-01-2010 01:41 AM

the problem isnt wiring or covering the chrome the 2011 bumper itself is basically made to have the fogs just slide into it.... on the 08-10 it would need a custom bracket to sit inside of... thats where you should start off the ideas..... subscribed been wanting to do this mod for a while cant quite figure it all out...

clownshoes 12-01-2010 11:58 AM

Good Point! If the fogs protrues out of the vent, then the washer reservior is mute. We need some G37 '11 pics behind the front facia to see whats back there. I will try this weekend.

J37S 12-01-2010 11:59 AM

maybe the m35 sport fogs will fit? it has its own chrome ring

da mayor 12-01-2010 12:44 PM

obviously since im a finance manager now, my time is very limited in playing around with some cars we have. I think the best thing to do for a fog light is really to just get a blank Nissan switch and mount it in one of the open slots by the intelligent key slot...

im sure its a smaller reservoir tank.

its just me but i still cant believe its the same freaking bumper.

1SiCkG 12-01-2010 01:03 PM

True but fitment is key not wiring