Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help What Flash drive or SD reader do I get for my 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
What Flash drive or SD reader do I get for my 2010?

Reading through the search for a while and couldnt get a straight answer. I have a 2010 sedan with GPS, bluetooth, and the USB port under the arm rest.

In my old car I had the aftermarket cd player with the SD card slot which was very nice because I copied files from my computer real easy and could control the song titles right on the display itself.

I was wondering what flash/thumb drive should I get to do the same thing or could I use a USB SD card reader? Will the songs show up on the gps screen?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Reading through the search for a while and couldnt get a straight answer. I have a 2010 sedan with GPS, bluetooth, and the USB port under the arm rest.

In my old car I had the aftermarket cd player with the SD card slot which was very nice because I copied files from my computer real easy and could control the song titles right on the display itself.

I was wondering what flash/thumb drive should I get to do the same thing or could I use a USB SD card reader? Will the songs show up on the gps screen?
get an old iPod or iPhone to leave in the center console.

the benefit is easier navigation around your music collection, being able to select playlists, and album art.

if you have an Android phone, GROM makes a USB cable that allows integration with an Android device so it acts like an iPod/iPhone.
Compare GROM Car Audio Integration Kits

again, you could use your current phone, or just load an old one up with music and leave it in the center console as a dedicated music player.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 AM
AARONHL
Registered Member

I was trying to not use an iphone or other device. I hate using itunes...and putting music on a flash drive or sd card through windows explorer is way easier. Also no additional wires or something to charge.

So are you saying a thumb/flash drive will not work? I guess I will give it a try
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
I use a 64gb SanDisk Cruzer Glide thumb drive for my music and video (don't ask) and have had no issues at all. I just leave in the console and forget it. No wires, no chargers, no more of Apple's iNonsense.

Any thumb drive should work as long as it is formatted to FAT32 (exFAT did not work for me). I would imagine that a microSD card would work just as well but I can not say for certain.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

You are a smart man ..I will stop at Staples on my way home from work tonight and give it a try Thank you
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Picked up a Lexar 64gb thumb drive at Staples on my way home from work...It was already formatted to FAT32 so took 2 minutes to put several albums on it and it worked great in the car!! Thanks again!!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:43 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
No problem. I am glad you got it sorted.