General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Limp Mode after batter replacement? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:39 PM
skillaa14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp Mode after battery replacement? Help?

Hello,

I have a TT G37. I haven't really got to drive it that much in the winter, but recently my battery was dying quicker and would frequently need a jump (I try to start every 2 days to keep from dying). Anyhow, my battery just flat out died, so I replaced my current battery when an Optima Red Top, easy quick installation. Car started up quick. Went for a quick drive when the car just stalled out at the light. I turned it back on and ignored it. The car would hit 2000-2500 RPM and keep revving out and car would barely move. I pulled over, and try to get moving again to see if it would happen again and it surely did. I'm reading up that this is 'limp mode'. Any ideas of how to fix this or go about this? I wouldn't want to reset ECU as i'm tuned on UpRev and wouldn't want to interfere with that. I don't think a battery change would cause an ECU reset, cause if it somehow did, that would explain the rough idle and limp mode. Anyone with any suggestions/info would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: I have a 2008 G37S 6MT with 58K miles
Also Maf sensors along with cam sensors were changed not long ago at a shop

Last edited by skillaa14; 01-28-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Are your cables clamped down fully making good contact on the battery?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:55 PM
skillaa14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Are your cables clamped down fully making good contact on the battery?
Hey, yeah from what I see the cables are clamped tight. But come to mention it, the negative it def on nice and tight, but the positive seemed to have some very light wiggle room. The terminal itself seems like its weak and rusty. I might get a replacement and see if this works. The car was running fine with my previous battery. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by skillaa14
Hey, yeah from what I see the cables are clamped tight. But come to mention it, the negative it def on nice and tight, but the positive seemed to have some very light wiggle room. The terminal itself seems like its weak and rusty. I might get a replacement and see if this works. The car was running fine with my previous battery. Thanks for the suggestion!
Definitely could be that then. Get some battery cleaner get both posts and clamps clean and make sure they're fully clamped on.