General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 AM
Jabayon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring question

A rat managed to get under my hood and bite thru some wiring. It bit thru the purple and green wire as shown in the picture. I need help identifying what the wires it by thru are for. Please and thank you.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:34 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
damn man lol. i would just get some same gauge wire and solder them back together. are u avoiding turning the car on? cus that would probably be a good idea.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:52 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts
Wow, that's an amazing amount of damage!

Rather than spend your energy trying to figure out which wire is for what - BEFORE YOU START THE CAR - I'd recommend that you disconnect the battery, carefully peel back that conduit further, open the battery compartment, and inspect the wires one-by-one in that group. There is even a further shielded group within that harness (near the top of the 2nd pic) that have been exposed and possibly shorted.

Any wires you find that have been broken or exposed need to be spliced or replaced with a short piece of similar gauge wire (never smaller than what you're replacing - bigger gauge is ok). Don't worry about matching the color with any short piece you put in, just so on either end they connect to the right wire.

You may also be able to pull the wires, for instance the broken purple one, back into the battery compartment to make an easier splice point

If you've already run the car it's very likely you've blown a fuse or two. So after doing the splicing you'll need to check fuses all around.

If you really need to know you can check service manuals here:
Infiniti G35 / G37 Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub
But tracing wires by harness and color is surprisingly difficult so that's why I say just repair the damage (or have a pro do it) and then find out if everything is functional.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:53 PM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
damn man lol. i would just get some same gauge wire and solder them back together. are u avoiding turning the car on? cus that would probably be a good idea.
beat me to it, same story in fewer words.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Jabayon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I've already been driving the car prior to finding out what happened. The car also started to overheat so I took it to the dealership for servicing since my oil change was due anyways.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:37 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Hope it doesn't cost you both arms and legs. Possible your auto insurance could assist... "vandalism by rat"? Also very possible your overheating is related to one of those wires - fan control, temp sensors, etc...