Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Coolant leak towards rear of engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 11:04 PM
2EFNFAST
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak towards rear of engine

2012 g37 sedan - i found coolant pissing out from between where the coolant pipe on the rear driver side of the car meets that metal crossover tube that runs along the back of the engine - the connection leaking is this one from this old thread i found:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...lant-leak.html

According to the part's diagram it's an o-ring connection, so I I think all I have to do is unbolt the two pieces, pull the coolant tube out of the crossover tube, put a new o-ring on it and bolt it together?

It seems like that's all there is to it, but the threads I can find on the topic, like the one I linked above, all start talking about dropping the transmission and replacing all of the parts (coolant pipe and crossover tube) .... I'm not sure if it's just shops trying to make work, or there's something I'm overlooking in what i think should be an easy repair....

Old 04-27-2024, 02:49 AM
2EFNFAST
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turned out to be pretty straightforward, but a SOB because space is at a premium - if that coolant log on the back of the engine ever leaks I can see why the transmission has to come out to replace it.

Unbolt the coolant pipe from the coolant log and then unbolt the mounting bracket from the block. When you remove the coolant pipe you'll find it'll get hung up 3/4 of the way out because the bend in the mounting bracket bashes into another bracket. What I ended up doing was bending the mounting bracket a little bit with a screwdriver, then was able to remove the cooling pipe. When you push the coolant pipe back in make sure it's a straight push and not at angle, otherwise you'll roll the o-ring and be cursing (good thing I bought 2 o-rings just incase)