Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Squealing noise from front axle over 30mph?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Squealing noise from front axle over 30mph?

I have a '09 G37x with ~73,000 miles on it that recently has started to squeal at speeds above 30-35mph. It's a very high pitch squeal that I can hear from inside the car with the music off or turned down. Accelerating does not change the pitch or help it at all. With the windows down it's quite a bit louder and sounds like it's coming from both sides of the front of the car. I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from though.

Has anyone experienced something similar or know what the issue might be? If helpful I can try and get a recording of it today or tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM
JayNIm
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm driving '12 G37 SA model, and it occur to me as well, whenever I drive low speed and turning around steering wheel (trying to park were worse).

Took it to dealership and told me that it was an 'easy fix' (what the tech guy said, while I drove with him, lol). Apparently it was the power steering issue, and mine specifically had to do with reservoir producing whining/squealing noise, and had to get that replaced.

I don't know if your warranty/cpo is still valid, but I was able to get mine fixed with no charge because of it.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Sounds very familiar. My power steering noise changed in pitch with engine rpm though. Sounded like a supercharger whine. I don't recall the tsb but it was replaced under the basic warranty.

I don't think this is the OP's issue as his doesn't change with rpm and just started after many thousands of miles. My guess is it's a pulley or other component starting to fail.

Maybe a recording will help identify?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Sounds very familiar. My power steering noise changed in pitch with engine rpm though. Sounded like a supercharger whine. I don't recall the tsb but it was replaced under the basic warranty.

I don't think this is the OP's issue as his doesn't change with rpm and just started after many thousands of miles. My guess is it's a pulley or other component starting to fail.

Maybe a recording will help identify?
Yes, I don't believe this is my issue as the noise does not change or go away with the change in rpm.

I did notice that it only seems to happen when I'm driving straight. If it starts squealing and I turn the wheels left or right as if I'm going around a corner then it stops until they're straight again.

I'll try to get a video of it soon. Hopefully you'll be able to hear it over any of the wind noise.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:56 PM
jabronis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100% Front wheel bearing. I know what you mean when you say it sounds like both wheels, but it is probably just 1 of them. I just had this happen to me w/ 44k on the car and I was going crazy trying to figure out what it was.

When I took it to the dealership the tech knew immediately what it was and mentioned it is very common among G37's. He had 6 G37's scheduled that day for wheel bearing replacements. It took the afternoon but when I got the car back it was night and day the difference.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jabronis
100% Front wheel bearing. I know what you mean when you say it sounds like both wheels, but it is probably just 1 of them. I just had this happen to me w/ 44k on the car and I was going crazy trying to figure out what it was.

When I took it to the dealership the tech knew immediately what it was and mentioned it is very common among G37's. He had 6 G37's scheduled that day for wheel bearing replacements. It took the afternoon but when I got the car back it was night and day the difference.
Oh okay, that would make sense then. I have to get some service done on it pretty soon so I'll probably have them check on that as well. Do you know how much that usually runs? I had a '06 maxima before this and the back wheel bearing was like $300 to replace. Not sure if that's average price or not though.