G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your G sedan handle?
My G is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven
16.28%
My G handles great for a sedan but could be better
53.49%
My G handles decent, there's things I would change.
20.93%
My G doesn't handle great, could be worse but many are better
9.30%
I think my G handles terrible, I would change most things if I could
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Sedan owners with sports car experience, how does.your G handle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkhlmnn
Wow that is very disappointing, I mean I know it is a BMW and I had an idea about the sub frame but didnt know it was the high of maintenance and costs.

How are your Tein coils compared to stock and also your M3 setup? Have you replaced any notable bushings on the G?
It doesn't have to be terrible for maintenance, but it can be. I had mine less than two years and did not have any big issues. The more I read the BMW forums though, I kept thinking the damn thing was going to explode at any minute.

It's all about perspective. As far as 10-15yr. old M cars go it is not bad. I sometimes think about a V8 M3 (E92), but it is highly recommended to spend $2,500+ to replace the crankshaft bearings because the tolerances are junk from the factory. A little erie considering that is a $20k motor...

Fortunately, the Tein coilovers ride very similar to stock on regular roads, but definitely handle better when it gets twisty and are great on the track. I would say the Tein basis coilovers actually ride better than the stock E46 M3 suspension over big bumps.

The only bushings I have replaced are the ones for the sway bars when I replaced those. Then again, my car only has about 23,500 miles so everything is still pretty fresh.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
It doesn't have to be terrible for maintenance, but it can be. I had mine less than two years and did not have any big issues. The more I read the BMW forums though, I kept thinking the damn thing was going to explode at any minute.

It's all about perspective. As far as 10-15yr. old M cars go it is not bad. I sometimes think about a V8 M3 (E92), but it is highly recommended to spend $2,500+ to replace the crankshaft bearings because the tolerances are junk from the factory. A little erie considering that is a $20k motor...

Fortunately, the Tein coilovers ride very similar to stock on regular roads, but definitely handle better when it gets twisty and are great on the track. I would say the Tein basis coilovers actually ride better than the stock E46 M3 suspension over big bumps.

The only bushings I have replaced are the ones for the sway bars when I replaced those. Then again, my car only has about 23,500 miles so everything is still pretty fresh.
Well as much as I love the E46 M3 I would hate to have something like that as a DD and be a ticking time bomb for issues. That is why I have a 10 year Infiniti instead of an e46 330i or B6 S4 that I wanted when I bought my car.

How is the adjustability on the coilovers and would would you compare the coils to sway bars in terms of handling improvements? I currently have 370z nismo front springs and OEM rear sport springs, Alutec strut brace, KYB struts/shocks, and eibach sways set to medium and the ride is somewhat rough and bouncy, yet there is still more body roll in turns than I want
Old 09-14-2016, 09:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The Tein Basis are only adjustable for height and that is really all you need unless you are building a dedicated track rat. The coilovers make a much larger difference than sway bars in terms of ride and handling and also lower the center of gravity.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:16 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkhlmnn
Well as much as I love the E46 M3 I would hate to have something like that as a DD and be a ticking time bomb for issues. That is why I have a 10 year Infiniti instead of an e46 330i or B6 S4 that I wanted when I bought my car.

How is the adjustability on the coilovers and would would you compare the coils to sway bars in terms of handling improvements? I currently have 370z nismo front springs and OEM rear sport springs, Alutec strut brace, KYB struts/shocks, and eibach sways set to medium and the ride is somewhat rough and bouncy, yet there is still more body roll in turns than I want
Sway bars are the best bang for your buck suspension mod. However a quality set of shocks/coilovers are the biggest game changer in how your car handles (well, maybe 2nd behind tires).

I don't know how good KYB shocks are. I have Koni yellows on OEM springs(softest settings all around). It's like driving a different car. Ride is much more refined. Attacking those turns in canyon roads feels more calm and alot less "on the edge". No sacrifice in ride comfort. I also have eibach sways and love them. But there's no way you can compare the improvement of a shocks/coilovers vs swaybars.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:08 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Koni doesn't list a sedan application. Did you use the coupe parts? Have part numbers? Stock springs all around right? Did anything change in terms of ride height?
Old 09-19-2016, 05:47 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^Koni doesn't list a sedan application. Did you use the coupe parts? Have part numbers? Stock springs all around right? Did anything change in terms of ride height?
You can Koni Yellow with a lowering spring such as Swift or Tanabe. Your car will probably handle reallllly well. Coupe and Sedan use the same suspension for RWD. Koni just doesn't make an AWD application.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Correct in that there is no Koni p/n for the sedan, but the coupe (which is the same p/n as the 370) fit. Just pay attention to the lower spring perch, if you mount it upside down, as some have done, it will raise the front height.

I've been on Koni Yellows and swift springs for ~3 years. Love the combo
Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
My car is fully stock as far as height goes. I have no desire to drop/lower it. At some point, the stock S shocks will wear out and need replacement. It's good to have options lined up ahead of time.

Post #19 suggests he is running stock springs (height), so it sounds like it should all work correctly.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by antirice
Sway bars are the best bang for your buck suspension mod. However a quality set of shocks/coilovers are the biggest game changer in how your car handles (well, maybe 2nd behind tires).

I don't know how good KYB shocks are. I have Koni yellows on OEM springs(softest settings all around). It's like driving a different car. Ride is much more refined. Attacking those turns in canyon roads feels more calm and alot less "on the edge". No sacrifice in ride comfort. I also have eibach sways and love them. But there's no way you can compare the improvement of a shocks/coilovers vs swaybars.
Do the Koni's still have adjustable dampening? If so is it on the bottom or side of the rear shocks? I am surprised to hear you say there is no sacrifice in ride comfort. My Tein Basis are very similar to stock, but there is one new road in town that the seams are not right and it is slightly bouncy. (drives exactly like a new Miata)

I had Koni yellows on a Subaru WRX for a while and really liked the ability to switch from street to track mode by turning the tabs on the top. Might be an idea for a future mod. I suppose you are only limited to your handling ability by the springs you run.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yes, the Konis are still adjustable.

The rears have a window at the top of the shock body that you use an Allen wrench in. They are very difficult to adjust on the car.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:43 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Yea, the rear ones seem a bit of a hassle to adjust. For me I don't take my car to the track so I'll just leave them at factory shipped setting(softest all around).

But don't let the softest setting fool you though, it's still noticeably stiffer than the stock sport shocks on my sedan.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yes, the Konis are still adjustable.

The rears have a window at the top of the shock body that you use an Allen wrench in. They are very difficult to adjust on the car.
Well that sounds terrible. On my WRX they were relatively easy to adjust and on top, but I wondered about that with this car since there is no access from the top.

Originally Posted by antirice
Yea, the rear ones seem a bit of a hassle to adjust. For me I don't take my car to the track so I'll just leave them at factory shipped setting(softest all around).

But don't let the softest setting fool you though, it's still noticeably stiffer than the stock sport shocks on my sedan.
Now I'm confused. You mentioned earlier that there is "no sacrifice in ride comfort," but now you say they are noticeably stiffer than stock. Care to elaborate a bit?
Old 09-19-2016, 06:49 PM
SurreyG

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I was surprised by the results of the G37S on track too compared to my older cars. In all fairness the 370Z probably would have had the same lap times or better if the tires I have now were available then. Tires are also a small factor with the STI and it should have done better with the AWD on the small technical track, but it still understeered a bit and I replaced every bushing on that car and was running 275's at all 4 corners?!? The steering was also not nearly as sharp on the STI as it was on the Evo or G37S. (Replaced that bushing too)

The E46 M3 is a fantastic car and I often find myself still looking for a nice clean example. It handles exceptionally well, sounds great, loves to rev, and looks awesome. It also stays cool on the track. I was running the Michelin Pilot Cup Sport tires that everyone on this site as well as the BMW forums swears by. Yes, the are decent on the street and ok on the track, but nowhere near competitive anymore. Very old design and compound. The other issue is the brakes.

So here are the bad things about the M3: The brakes are not really up to track duty so plan on spending lots on a big brake kit. You are also best to hire a welder to weld in a reinforcement kit to the rear subframe because it will crack. After that you will need to get the Dr. Vanos kit so your engine does not grenade. If you plan to keep the car a while, learn how to replace the valve shims. Get used to $18/qt. oil and $1,500 or $2,500 every year or two for regular maintenance... if nothing else breaks first. Replace both front seats or at least the driver seat because it has a million adjustments and none of them are comfortable. You will also want to replace the shift linkage with one from a diesel 3 series and get a ZHP shift ****.

If you budget for front brakes, front seats, subframe reinforcement, Dr. Vanos kit, shift kit, and learn how to do the valve shims, the E46 M3 is not a bad car and relatively cheap right now. However, the G37S can be had for about the same price and you don't need to spend as much on parts or maintenance, it is more reliable, and about 10 years newer.
Great write up. It's good to see someone on here who has experience driving many other cars that are considered great handling and accelerating cars. My buddy owns a E46 M3 and yeah it's a great car, no doubt about it especially in it's time, but he is spending countless hours and dollars just to keep it running. I have done some spirited driving with him and he's not able to lose me on any straight stretches or corners. My only mods are Swift Springs, G37S rear sway bar swap out (I drive a 37xS), 245/40/19 aftermarket wheels, and recently installed ARK Exhaust. I can easily take him off the line in a drag race because of the flawless launches with the AWD and have no problems at all keeping up with him in the twisties.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Well that sounds terrible. On my WRX they were relatively easy to adjust and on top, but I wondered about that with this car since there is no access from the top.
It is terrible, if you want to adjust them on a regular basis. I've adjusted them once, right after the install, so it's a moot point for me. I'm somewhere around one full rotation on the fronts, and one left-to-right sweep on the rears, and they are plenty stiff.

Now I'm confused. You mentioned earlier that there is "no sacrifice in ride comfort," but now you say they are noticeably stiffer than stock. Care to elaborate a bit?
I can kind of understand where that comes from. On good roads they still over a very compliant stock like ride. However, hit a sharp bump and they have a definitely harsher response, at least paired with Swift springs. Fortunately for me, I'm in the south where we have pretty good roads.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Alcaponed

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Having driven many sports cars, I would say one thing missing is the feeling of lightness. Compared to an RX8 for example, the G feels pretty heavy in comparison. My car only has sways, better tires (Super Sports) and brakes in terms of performance upgrades and it drives really well FOR A SEDAN. For a sports car, it just lacks that lightning fast response you get from more dedicated sports cars, but the G still impresses me with how well it goes with a couple minor upgrades to the handling. The G is relatively easy to improve handling-wise, but at least in its stock form it isn't that great. With the factory tires i was disappointed the first time I took it to a proper road because of the understeer and general poor handling, but just switching to good tires improved things dramatically. Also consider that it's a pretty old car now, and compared to more modern stuff it is quite archaic, but I do like the simplicity of it compared to a BMW or an Audi.