Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
^Yes, very interested in hearing your review and impressions of the car.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Awesome thank you for the review! and thank you for comparing it to the sedan! Just makes my choice between a new S4 and the 3.0t that much harder!

Originally Posted by taltek

Great review and accurate. My lease is up on my current 2013 37x. After 2 G's (2007 G35x, 2013 G37x) I really wanted something different. I drove the new 2017 A4 a few times wanting to love the ride as much as I did all the tech Audi has put into the new models.. it's pretty quick and has that great dual clutch auto, but it's just way too soft and numb. I drove a Red Sport (w/o) DAS last weekend and found my next ride. I pick her up tomorrow night. It's an awd Majestic White Red Sport w/Premium Plus.
That's really interesting to hear that you thought that way about the steering I would have thought it would have been the other way around but as twin said in his post there was an update in the steering. Guess I m going to have to go take a closer look since the S4 and the 3.0t are priced pretty similar
Old 05-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Great review and accurate. My lease is up on my current 2013 37x. After 2 G's (2007 G35x, 2013 G37x) I really wanted something different. I drove the new 2017 A4 a few times wanting to love the ride as much as I did all the tech Audi has put into the new models.. it's pretty quick and has that great dual clutch auto, but it's just way too soft and numb. I drove a Red Sport (w/o) DAS last weekend and found my next ride. I pick her up tomorrow night. It's an awd Majestic White Red Sport w/Premium Plus.
Man I am jealous, that is an awesome Q50! Waiting to hear an in-depth review on this girl!
Old 05-10-2016, 02:09 PM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
Awesome thank you for the review! and thank you for comparing it to the sedan! Just makes my choice between a new S4 and the 3.0t that much harder!

That's really interesting to hear that you thought that way about the steering I would have thought it would have been the other way around but as twin said in his post there was an update in the steering. Guess I m going to have to go take a closer look since the S4 and the 3.0t are priced pretty similar
I am thinking about both a 335/340i and S4 as my next car. The Germans do interiors and fit/finish so much better. My G37 has a lot of hard plastics and I wasn't overly impressed with the Q50 loaners that I've had. Plus both cars will likely have higher resale values.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:14 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I might go look at one Saturday, my dealer has a few of them,
Old 05-10-2016, 02:20 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
When in doubt, bleeder valves to cheat an extra couple psi.
I don't think they will work. Everything seems to point to the ECU using impeller speed feedback instead of pressure feedback to control the wastegate. Maybe it uses both, but I would not be surprised if it threw a CEL or went into limp mode if the impeller speed/boost pressure were mismatched.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 PM
taltek

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
^Yes, very interested in hearing your review and impressions of the car.
Added a few more quick cell phone pics. Sorry for the garbage cans in the view. Need to order splash guards.

I have a good clear highway route to/from work. I wont push it (too) hard during the early miles, but it definitely takes off even with 3/4 pedal. The hard run flats will have to go. They make the car a bit "twitchy" at the normal flow of 80mph, though not in any unsafe way. Just needs a little more attention. The steering feel in the G will never be simulated in any of these new generations of computer manipulated systems. I don't have DAS..just cant get past the notion of no mechanical connection to the wheels (i know the fail-safe engages a connection, but still). The steering is a bit over boosted and there is less road feel in the wheel. Perhaps DAS can increase the weight, but I don't see how it can transmit road feedback without the connection.

Trans is a definite step up from by 7at in the G. Shifts are faster and firm. No delayed downshifts at all. I found myself in standard mode on the highway to soften the ride and Sport/Sport+ on the local roads to enjoy the quick shifts and tighter suspension. Love the paddle shifters.

Regarding the engine tap.. I believe that is the direct injection system. My previous GTI and my neighbors newer BMW's turbo's 4's sounded identical at idle.

I'm still messing with all the technology in the car. The first text message the car "read" for me was awesome. Stereo seems good, still need to tweak it to my taste. There are two additional Bose system settings beyond the G's driver stage.

Feel free to ask any questions or for any particular pics.
Attached Thumbnails First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive-20160510_190127.jpg   First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive-20160510_191402.jpg   First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive-20160510_193219.jpg   First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive-20160510_193256.jpg   First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive-20160510_193236.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by taltek:
dragion (05-11-2016), twin_snails (06-06-2021)
Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jason05gt
I am thinking about both a 335/340i and S4 as my next car. The Germans do interiors and fit/finish so much better. My G37 has a lot of hard plastics and I wasn't overly impressed with the Q50 loaners that I've had. Plus both cars will likely have higher resale values.
The vinyl leather-like material in the base loaners isn't that nice, which is what kept me out of a base model. Can't comment on the Germans as I haven't been in one in years.

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I might go look at one Saturday, my dealer has a few of them,
I think you'll enjoy it!

Originally Posted by brizey
I don't think they will work. Everything seems to point to the ECU using impeller speed feedback instead of pressure feedback to control the wastegate. Maybe it uses both, but I would not be surprised if it threw a CEL or went into limp mode if the impeller speed/boost pressure were mismatched.
I wouldn't be surprised if it used impeller and boost pressure either. I remember back when the GT-R came out that initially, it was thought that it wasn't going to be easy to mod, but thankfully, that wasn't the case.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:06 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Added a few more quick cell phone pics. Sorry for the garbage cans in the view. Need to order splash guards.

I have a good clear highway route to/from work. I wont push it (too) hard during the early miles, but it definitely takes off even with 3/4 pedal. The hard run flats will have to go. They make the car a bit "twitchy" at the normal flow of 80mph, though not in any unsafe way. Just needs a little more attention. The steering feel in the G will never be simulated in any of these new generations of computer manipulated systems. I don't have DAS..just cant get past the notion of no mechanical connection to the wheels (i know the fail-safe engages a connection, but still). The steering is a bit over boosted and there is less road feel in the wheel. Perhaps DAS can increase the weight, but I don't see how it can transmit road feedback without the connection.

Trans is a definite step up from by 7at in the G. Shifts are faster and firm. No delayed downshifts at all. I found myself in standard mode on the highway to soften the ride and Sport/Sport+ on the local roads to enjoy the quick shifts and tighter suspension. Love the paddle shifters.

Regarding the engine tap.. I believe that is the direct injection system. My previous GTI and my neighbors newer BMW's turbo's 4's sounded identical at idle.

I'm still messing with all the technology in the car. The first text message the car "read" for me was awesome. Stereo seems good, still need to tweak it to my taste. There are two additional Bose system settings beyond the G's driver stage.

Feel free to ask any questions or for any particular pics.
Thanks for the great review and impressions so far! And congratulations on a gorgeous car! Are you on the infinitiq50.org forum? Definitely want to keep up with your mods and if you have plans for the new Q.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:48 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Amazing write-up!! You've definitely piqued my interest, but I would love to see a comparison to an EcuTek tuned G37xS 7AT. I'm just about to finish up with Sebastian, and my car is a different animal altogether. I'm beyond happy with the progress and, being that she's paid off, in no hurry to jump back into car payments. I'll check my local dealer to see if I can schedule a test drive.

In any case, I'm very appreciative of your feedback!! Many thanks!!

Last edited by ShuuraRG; 05-11-2016 at 06:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (05-12-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:35 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
great photos and reviews, thanks! i'll be heading to my local dealer soon to check out the RS400. all we seem to have locally is the RS 400 or the base 2.0T models, no 300hp versions. i am told that supply of RS400 are very limited with my dealers only getting 5-6 each this year. prices are ~$60k CAD for the RS400 and ~$47k for 2.0T. i'm guessing the 300hp versions will be ~$53k CAD. or you can get a '15 3.7 for $40k, same body etc.

i will say i am a bit confused with Infiniti's strategy these days. the carry-over coupe/verts are MY'15 units - presumably to clear out remaining supplies. we'll be getting the new Q60 coupe as a MY'17 sometime later this year. at the same time, Infiniti is now releasing the MY'16 Q50 sedan half a year into 2016 calendar year, and only some of the model range is available. why not just wait a couple more months and launch the model line as a MY'17?

i also wonder how long until the Q50 undergoes the cosmetic knife for a mid-cycle refresh. Infiniti has a history of staggering powertrain and cosmetic refreshes that really mixes up the models and is confusing. i know that i'm not going to get a 6MT Q50 sedan anytime soon (which is a problem and may force me to an Audi/BMW, booo), but my thought would be if i wanted to stay Infiniti to wait for the cosmetic refresh updates that will surely follow in a year or two to match the powertrain updates.

consider the G/Q sedan since 2003:

2003: new rear drive sedan with "260hp" (yeah, right) 3.5L, doggy-door trunk lid
2003.5: cosmetic update to trunk lid (no more doggy door), 6MT Aero model now available
2004: AWD available
2005: mid-cycle refresh with cosmetic and interior changes, now rated at 280hp, 6MT comes with rev-up 298hp
2006: carry over from 2005 (only year so far of no changes)
2007: new body style, new interior, new 306hp engine, still called G35
2008: carry over from 2007
2009: mid-cycle powertrain refresh, now called G37, using '08 coupe's 3.7L, similar body/interior as '08 sedan (except for trunk spoiler on S models). this model only available for one year between '08 G35 and refreshed '10 model.
2010: mid-cycle cosmetic refresh with new front/rear bumpers and minor interior changes
2011-2013: essentially unchanged as we await the Q50 (i am intentionally ignoring the G25 model)
2014: new body style & interior for Q50 model, Q40 model line limited to certain models. all models use carry-over powertrain.
half-way through 2016: mid-cycle powertrain refresh with 2l & 3l turbos, carry-over body & interior (for most part), plenty of 3.7L Q50's still available
2017: cosmetic refresh? carry over from MY'16? this would align with what Infiniti did after MY'09.
2018: cosmetic refresh almost a certainty???
Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Found this video on YouTube today. Pretty nice footage of the cars take off ability, even if the guy has no clue how to feather the throttle.

twin_snails (05-12-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I'm thinking the 3.0tt should be mod friendly. Looking at the added complications of twin turbos and added cost of like $10K all for 72 more hp? Do you think they were looking to future proof in this motor starting at only 300 / 400hp? Maybe a Rouge / IPL 3.0tt model next?
twin_snails (05-12-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
I do surely believe that this VR family is very over built. You got to remember, this is a REPLACEMENT for the legendary work horse VQ. This is the engine that Infinite will rest it's shoulders on. Like the GM 3000 series, the LS series, the Honda J, B, D, Etc.

The originally VR38 was in crackable and untunable for the first what, 6 months? Now you can drop $4000 in Bolton's and get a good boost in power. This is a modular engine design just like I predicted last year when I broke the news that we were getting a new engine family.

I bet its the same one that is in that LMGTR, the Q80 concept and so on. Probably be in the next road going GTR as well.
twin_snails (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 12:47 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
So my good friend is a foreman at an Infiniti Dealership. He recently did his training on the engine, and according to him, it has incredible potential. Its actually more advanced than the current GTR motor in some ways. It is really detuned, you can actually bring it up quite a bit in power with the stock setup, just by changing the calibration. I need to spend some more time talking to him, get more insight.
The following 2 users liked this post by hexotic:
2GoRNot2G (05-14-2016), twin_snails (05-12-2016)