G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions: Q50 Red Sport 400 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:45 AM
taltek

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review and accurate. My lease is up on my current 2013 37x. After 2 G's (2007 G35x, 2013 G37x) I really wanted something different. I drove the new 2017 A4 a few times wanting to love the ride as much as I did all the tech Audi has put into the new models.. it's pretty quick and has that great dual clutch auto, but it's just way too soft and numb. I drove a Red Sport (w/o) DAS last weekend and found my next ride. I pick her up tomorrow night. It's an awd Majestic White Red Sport w/Premium Plus.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (05-09-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by taltek

Great review and accurate. My lease is up on my current 2013 37x. After 2 G's (2007 G35x, 2013 G37x) I really wanted something different. I drove the new 2017 A4 a few times wanting to love the ride as much as I did all the tech Audi has put into the new models.. it's pretty quick and has that great dual clutch auto, but it's just way too soft and numb. I drove a Red Sport (w/o) DAS last weekend and found my next ride. I pick her up tomorrow night. It's an awd Majestic White Red Sport w/Premium Plus.
Congrats on a beautiful car and be sure to keep us updated once you get some windshield time in...
Old 05-08-2016, 04:23 PM
SoFlo
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the review. Quick question.. so the Eau Rouge concept was named after the infamous section of the Belgian F1 circuit (and not because it was red)... why is this thing now called the 'Red Sport' when it clearly comes in different colors? I hope it's not because of that shiny red S badge.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:22 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
2016 Q50 in blue, also has the rear deck spoiler.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFlo
Thanks for the review. Quick question.. so the Eau Rouge concept was named after the infamous section of the Belgian F1 circuit (and not because it was red)... why is this thing now called the 'Red Sport' when it clearly comes in different colors? I hope it's not because of that shiny red S badge.
The "red" is indeed referring to the color of the S badge. Red S means it's the 400hp version. I believe the hybrid version has a blue S.

Last edited by JUMBO PALACE; 05-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.
SoFlo (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Thanks for the review. Not sure I'm sold on the DAS. Real test would be driving some technical roads - canyon or otherwise. The power down low is nice.

Visually, looks similar to a q50. Prefer the flowing lines of the g37 over the more rigid appearance of the q50. This of course is personal preference.

$55K is close to 60K, which may open up other options (ats v comes to mind).
twin_snails (06-06-2021)
Old 05-09-2016, 01:23 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
So I was building a 2016 Q50 RS400 on Infiniti's website, I saw this:

===================================
Direct Adaptive Steering®
Not Available with:

Stone Leather / Kacchu Aluminum

Requires:

Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport [$2,250]
Driver Assistance Package [$2,250]
Maple Wood Accent Package [$400]
Infiniti Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates [$440]

====================================

That kinda sucks for ppl that don't care about the Driver Assistance Package, wood trim and illumniated kick plates, but wanted the DAS.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
This was such a great and amazing write up twin! Thank you so much for this man!
twin_snails (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 01:42 PM
SoFlo
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
The "red" is indeed referring to the color of the S badge. Red S means it's the 400hp version. I believe the hybrid version has a blue S.
meh.. can we at least get some red leather seats?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:27 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Wow, very impressive review there Twin, I guess your user name was just in waiting for this particular model, lol.

What was the sticker on that one BTW.
Thanks Brad! Yes, my username was very much chosen with the intent of going twin turbo. Obviously I haven't gotten there yet...and at this current juncture, I'm very much torn over which way to go.

I've currently got an absolutely smoking deal worked on a 2015 Q50S with DAS and NAV.

Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
When in doubt, bleeder valves to cheat an extra couple psi.
There is that!

Originally Posted by eljoker
I'm guessing it was about 55k based in the options be said.
That is true...it was right about 55k because it did not have the Driver Assistance package with the Lane Keep, Forward Emergency Braking, etc. Man I'm getting the names confused between '15 and '16 on the packages.

Originally Posted by taltek

Congrats on your new purchase! Did you wind up leasing this one?

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Thanks for the review. Not sure I'm sold on the DAS. Real test would be driving some technical roads - canyon or otherwise. The power down low is nice.

Visually, looks similar to a q50. Prefer the flowing lines of the g37 over the more rigid appearance of the q50. This of course is personal preference.

$55K is close to 60K, which may open up other options (ats v comes to mind).
No problem. I would recommend driving the '16 model's revised DAS. I had my reservations especially with the road feel and responsiveness. The power down low is definitely nice.

I can respect that. I love the design myself with the strong shoulder lines and contours.

That is true. Personally I don't think I could ever go German (electrical issues seem to abound) or Cadillac but that's my personal preference.

Originally Posted by antirice
So I was building a 2016 Q50 RS400 on Infiniti's website, I saw this:

===================================
Direct Adaptive Steering®
Not Available with:

Stone Leather / Kacchu Aluminum

Requires:

Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport [$2,250]
Driver Assistance Package [$2,250]
Maple Wood Accent Package [$400]
Infiniti Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates [$440]

====================================

That kinda sucks for ppl that don't care about the Driver Assistance Package, wood trim and illumniated kick plates, but wanted the DAS.
That is true. However, over time and once the car has been out for a while, I think you'll start to see other options become available. The salesman told me that they're only offering the DAS with the Maple Wood trim because they're building the decked out ones first.

Originally Posted by kennyz424
This was such a great and amazing write up twin! Thank you so much for this man!
No problem Kenny! It was fun and when I was offered a test drive it was as simple as saying, "Shut up and pencil me into your schedule for that test drive!" LOL.

Last edited by twin_snails; 05-09-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:49 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
well $hit, i had planned to keep my car until it just blew up and or partially disintegrated ...and then would have to tow the remaining parts in to the dealership as my trade ...but now...thanks man...

hehehe joking, that is an awesome write up twinsnails and if things were different i would be hard pressed and seriously considering, but i haven't even started to mod this one ...so
Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Great review, thank you.
twin_snails (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
well $hit, i had planned to keep my car until it just blew up and or partially disintegrated ...and then would have to tow the remaining parts in to the dealership as my trade ...but now...thanks man...

hehehe joking, that is an awesome write up twinsnails and if things were different i would be hard pressed and seriously considering, but i haven't even started to mod this one ...so
Yikes what happened with your car? Hopefully nothing too serious there. Are you still in the '11 G Sedan listed in your signature?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Great review, thank you.
No problem sir, and thank you!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I added an edit to the original post review. I'll post it here for ease of reading.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I asked to see under the hood while the engine was running. He popped the hood and the first thing I noticed was a rather surprising amount of valve ticking at idle. It makes our VQ37's sound completely silent. You don't hear it much with the hood down or the windows up, but I felt it was notable to add to the review.

Last edited by twin_snails; 05-10-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:17 PM
taltek

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rennies5
Congrats on a beautiful car and be sure to keep us updated once you get some windshield time in...
Thanks. Picked it up tonight. I'll try to get some time to grab some decent pics of the various fun parts before I go away next week.
twin_snails (05-09-2016)