Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Why the AT7 is quicker than the MT6

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 03:38 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyG37
Laugh all you want.

I am not choosing a side. 30 years ago MT were superior to AT no questions asked. Now days there not even in the same category.

This isnt about preference its facts that manual transmissions ARE being phased out whether you like it or not.. MT might be fun and all but ill be the one laughing when were stuck in traffic and you guys have your hands full
This is very true. Even in F1 racing, the MT was phased out to sequential manual transmissions. If it's deemed by the fastest drivers on the planet (or those who govern their sport) that the clutch pedal/gear shifter was too slow, something tells you that there are some major flaws with this design.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 PM
AndyG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
If I had a MT I would argue fun and better connection with the car and real men drive standard. AT owners will argue speed, no third pedal in traffic, all the best performance cars have an auto, MT is dying breed. I have argued both sides ....but in the end performance is the most important. Of course all the sedans in the 1/4 mile seam to be faster, so I guess the AT sedan is the best performer. However, the coupe looks better...so its a never ending argument. With all of us defending our purchase... no winner? Or maybe ..were all winners ?..lets face it for the price/cost, performance, looks, interior, reliability. ...nothing beats a G.
/end of thread
Old 04-27-2016, 04:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Laugh all you want.

I am not choosing a side. 30 years ago MT were superior to AT no questions asked. Now days there not even in the same category.

This isnt about preference its facts that manual transmissions ARE being phased out whether you like it or not.. MT might be fun and all but ill be the one laughing when were stuck in traffic and you guys have your hands full
I was laughing at you referring to automated manual transmissions as the same thing as a traditional torque converter controlled auto.

Being stuck in traffic isn't a big deal. Do it every day. But I don't talk/text/eat/drink/read when I'm driving so it isn't that big of a deal
Old 04-27-2016, 04:25 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Automatic tranny != DCT

A Porsche doesn't have an auto. That is just nuts if you don't understand the difference.

And I hate being stuck in traffic in an auto. Drives me crazy. I much rather have a clutch pedal in traffic.

Last edited by jgronline; 04-28-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:44 PM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A computer controlled DCT is an automatic as far as I am concerned. Do some more research the latest and greatest performance cars are mainly autos. My dads Porsche has a DCT and it is smooth as butter.

Manufactures get better CAFE standards out of automatics and less and less people drive manuals. Look at the facts they are going to be phased out whether you like it or not.
DSG (or PDK in a Porsche) and a traditional 6/7/8 speed automatic are very much different setups.

Also, I am surprised to see people praising the 7 speed automatic in our cars. It's horrible. The trans is horrendously slow to down shift, the up-shifts are slow, and the manual control function reacts slowly. It's the one downside of an otherwise fantastic drivetrain.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:31 PM
jomama22
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Someone had said it here before and I think it rings true: the 7at in the g37 is good when either driving like a granny or like a bat out of hell. Anywhere in between and its a bag of tricks
Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by jason05gt
DSG (or PDK in a Porsche) and a traditional 6/7/8 speed automatic are very much different setups.

Also, I am surprised to see people praising the 7 speed automatic in our cars. It's horrible. The trans is horrendously slow to down shift, the up-shifts are slow, and the manual control function reacts slowly. It's the one downside of an otherwise fantastic drivetrain.
Torque Converter in AT vs a dual clutch...solid (frictional) medium vs liquid. Liquid is simply less efficient than solid medium for this purpose. However, the difference is unnoticeable unless your a track hound and an experienced drive which only 1% of this forum probably is. Making it a minor and unimportant difference between the AT and dual clutch trans.for our purpose as auto enthusiasts. Plus if that minor difference really matters to you then your probably in the wrong car...and you should own a GTR, M3 or Porche and then you can be one of the many fools who waste tons of money and drive a fast car slow instead of a slow car fast - which is much funner....( I only know this because I was once one of those fools)

Although the 7 speed in our cars has lag it can be reduced by resetting and relearning the ways of the led foot: Driving like crazy after reset, traction control off, DS mode, throttle controller, paddle shifter use ...reduces it significantly.

However the MT also has the lag, but on top of that has the human variable ....the driver MT owner shifting lag. So twice the lag.

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 04-27-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:11 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you want a more performance version of the G37, you should have bought the true "S" model. The bigger brakes make a tremendous difference. Also has a quicker steering ratio. The trans is unfortunately not much better.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
If I wanted to wait three months for a new 2011 6MT sedan to come from Japan, I would own one. Instead, I was anxious to get out of my Miata due to August heat and settled for a 7AT. I regret the decision, I dislike everything about the transmission except for reliability. Even manual shifting is lacking. Not a fan of sequential transmissions on the street, especially slow-shifting transmissions.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I drove every model of this car when combining coupe/sedan models. I felt the xS model with the paddles was decent. quick, predictable, etc. but I give zero ****s if the 6MT is slower, I would never consider owning anything but. Yes, MTs are being phased out. Anyone arguing against that clearly isn't paying attention. It breaks my heart but by the time my current vehicle is dead hopefully I can afford a true sports car with a clutch and not be doomed to hate driving for eternity.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:29 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
I bought a 2007 Miata last year with a 6MT. It's incredibly fun. I can floor that damn thing and I'm not way over the speed limit in a few seconds like with my G. The gear ratios of the Miata make it such that 4th gear in the 6AT is your 1:1 while 5th gear in the 6MT is 1:1.

The automatic revs much lower on the highway and is more fuel efficient. That being said, I'd have a hard time going with the automatic. It's just too much fun driving that car.

On the other hand, the Infiniti represents luxury-performance. It would be hard for me to put a manual in this car as it's role for me is different than it is for some others.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
Torque Converter in AT vs a dual clutch...solid (frictional) medium vs liquid. Liquid is simply less efficient than solid medium for this purpose. However, the difference is unnoticeable unless your a track hound and an experienced drive which only 1% of this forum probably is. Making it a minor and unimportant difference between the AT and dual clutch trans.for our purpose as auto enthusiasts. Plus if that minor difference really matters to you then your probably in the wrong car...and you should own a GTR, M3 or Porche and then you can be one of the many fools who waste tons of money and drive a fast car slow instead of a slow car fast - which is much funner....( I only know this because I was once one of those fools)

Although the 7 speed in our cars has lag it can be reduced by resetting and relearning the ways of the led foot: Driving like crazy after reset, traction control off, DS mode, throttle controller, paddle shifter use ...reduces it significantly.

However the MT also has the lag, but on top of that has the human variable ....the driver MT owner shifting lag. So twice the lag.

I guess I am a 1%er. The difference is quite noticeable in everyday driving. DSG’s shift faster, which enthusiasts (this forum) will notice. Plus most DSG transmissions also incorporate launch control functionality, but that’s also trickling into modern torque converter transmissions.

I’ve reset the ECU and drive the car hard. Our 7AT is a poor transmission and Infiniti having to release multiple TSB’s is proof of that. They still haven’t gotten it right. Even in reviews of the brand new Q50S Red Sport the transmission was mentioned as a negative.

My manual transmission in my other car has zero lag. It does what I tell it to do, which is the polar opposite of most automatic transmissions. Plus there’s no better feeling than accomplishing a hard launch or that perfect heal toe downshift before entering a corner (the 7AT doesn't rev match well either).
Old 04-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Let's also not forget how easy it is to make exhaust music by clutching and blipping the throttle.

Everyone drives an auto these days, it's nothing special. But when bitches see those 3 pedals they know that guy can work a stick. It's a real panty dropper.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:28 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I have the luxary to drive a 7AT and 6MT G37S on a daily basis. The 7AT, I can definitely feel the difference in 1st gear torque. However, the inherent lag in throttle input is also very noticeable between our cars.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:31 PM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Let's also not forget how easy it is to make exhaust music by clutching and blipping the throttle.

Everyone drives an auto these days, it's nothing special. But when bitches see those 3 pedals they know that guy can work a stick. It's a real panty dropper.
I have had many manuals -never had any chick care about it.

Quick Reply: Why the AT7 is quicker than the MT6