Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:44 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
This whole thread makes this install / setup seem even more complicated than just reading through the install guide already did.
Looking forward to your impressions of the process and the end result, Rochester.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (01-31-2016)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
This whole thread makes this install / setup seem even more complicated than just reading through the install guide already did.
Yeah. I'm feeling very intimidated by the whole thing. Following (or not following) this discussion isn't exactly helping with that.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
This is one of those things that will make sense once you get your hands dirty. I had a very hard time visualizing what each part does just from the instructions. Each component's role will be clearer after installation.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Okay so the 2nd visit to the shop was much better than the first. The owner was there, much more knowledgeable than the tech, and he explained everything. I already had a better idea of it all from this discussion, as well as getting under there and figuring things out.

The switches - pretty easy to adjust, and totally understandable once you see them. Jsolo, thanks for the pointers.

MC rod - not much adjustment there which was a bit disappointing. I was hoping to get the friction/engagement point closer to the floor. I'm at about 1.5" which is lower than stock but still not "perfect" in my opinion.

AFP setting - I now have it set at 100%. 0% may be "stock" in terms of the abruptness of the friction/engagement, but it makes the clutch pedal pressure far too firm. At 100%, the clutch firmness is about like stock, but it's the easiest to modulate the clutch. The instructions say start at 70%, but I drove it like that for a couple days, then tried it at 80%, 90%, and 100% - and 100% is easier and more enjoyable to me. All of my shifts now are smooth and easy. Downshifting is even fun in this car, where before it wasn't.

Anyway, so the shop adjusted the switches to account for my adjustment to 100% AFP. the MC rod is as far out as it can get, so my friction/engagement point is as low as it's going to get. There are definitely limitations to this mod, but it is still FAR superior to the stock clutch pedal.

Rochester I'm really looking forward to your opinion of this once you get it installed and tested.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
Rochester I'm really looking forward to your opinion of this once you get it installed and tested.
Next weekend.

I have this irrational fear that everything is going to be taken apart and half-installed, and we're going to run out of time, or something causes us to stop and put the OEM pedal back on. Or worse yet, we're going to be so in-the-bag that we screw it up.

Stupid old-man anxiety.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
You'll be fine. It's actually a lot more straight forward than I thought. The pictures aren't a whole lot of help - once you get in there and start taking things apart it will make much more sense.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:50 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
looking forward to install review/details and a user review of the RJM. i know there are many glowing reports like "if you only do one mod, this is it", but most of those reviews are from folks who either hated the stock setup or had actual functional issues with shifting or clutch take-up.

i've been on the fence with this mod for years. mainly because i don't have a real problem with the stock setup. no lurching shifts, no issues with hill starts, no rough or notchy shift action (although that would be a gearbox issue), no pedal chatter, etc. is the OE setup the smoothest? no, of course not. my hondas and mazdas were much better from a smoothness and feel point of view, as were a few BMWs i've driven. is it the worst? not at all. that prize goes to my volkswagens and older 5.0 mustangs i've driven.

that being said, i would see the value of this mod IF it made noticeable improvements to clutch operation and shift smoothness that would help other drivers - and of course i would have to appreciate the difference too. on the rare occasion that my wife drives my car (say, if i've had a few), she always complains about the gearbox and she has problems with hill starts and lurching 1st and 2nd gear engagement. and she has stalled it which she never did on any of her cars. she's always driven honda manuals so i agree this is a tough transition.

Rochester - help me make up my mind! ha ha. no pressure, just honest feedback would be great since i recall you not being too troubled with the OE setup.

NOTE - my CSC and MC have both been replaced under warranty (CSC), and i've replaced the clutch and flywheel assembly with newer set with only 5k miles (i'm at 45k miles overall). all OE parts. so part of me likes the claim that the RJM helps CSC longevity. they claim to eliminate the CSC failure issue. this is of value to me, but maybe not enough value on it's own. i want 'gains'!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Rochester - help me make up my mind! ha ha. no pressure, just honest feedback would be great since i recall you not being too troubled with the OE setup.
Not too troubled, although jsolo's spring made a big difference to me.

Install planned for this weekend. Wish me luck!

Originally Posted by canucklehead
my CSC and MC have both been replaced under warranty
Damn-n-n-n. Your CSC, too, eh? Mine failed and was replaced at 18K miles. Since then, every time I get in the car I think to myself, "Is the CSC going to fail again?"

Every. Single. Time.

Makes me sad.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 PM
TunerMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Next weekend.

I have this irrational fear that everything is going to be taken apart and half-installed, and we're going to run out of time, or something causes us to stop and put the OEM pedal back on. Or worse yet, we're going to be so in-the-bag that we screw it up.

Stupid old-man anxiety.
Sounds perfect
Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Detail
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Good luck. I did mine in about 2 hours without removing the seat. If you've ever changed a master cylinder, you'll be right at home.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TunerMax
Sounds perfect
Canadians.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:49 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
subed

i guess i should have moved this up the list.. just have the spring but its still annoying.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:18 PM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly

I ordered the spring yesterday. Looking forward to a better feeling clutch pedal.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Thirty_Seven

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Subbed for y'alls results and opinions. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and he just shipped it a day ago. I'm pretty excited. Pairing it with a TWM short shifter as well.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by pledes23
I ordered the spring yesterday. Looking forward to a better feeling clutch pedal.
I would have given you mine at the meet-up next month.

Originally Posted by Thirty_Seven
Pairing it with a TWM short shifter as well.

That's awesome. Start a thread! I will absolutely follow that.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-24-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly