Originally Posted by efuseakay
Are you guys on ssforums.com?
Yes, i am.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:08 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Saw a malibu on the road today with some wheels and drop. Didn't look too shabby.
A bit of a poser move IMO. Anyone who says they can't tell the difference between the Malibu and the SS needs to turn in their 'car guy' card ASAP.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:01 PM
SmokyQ_xS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Are you guys on ssforums.com?
I am, yes. Lots of good info there.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:06 PM
SmokyQ_xS

Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea
Consumer Reports rated the Conti's as "poor" in the the snow.
I did notice that. They get mostly good reviews for snow performance on most of the forums threads I've seen them mentioned on though, so not sure at this point. The newer version is out now but doesn't look like they have the correct rear size for the SS, also no reviews yet of snow performance.

I've got a few months to think about it and do some more research, though
Old 07-15-2015, 08:30 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SmokyQ_xS
I did notice that. They get mostly good reviews for snow performance on most of the forums threads I've seen them mentioned on though, so not sure at this point. The newer version is out now but doesn't look like they have the correct rear size for the SS, also no reviews yet of snow performance.

I've got a few months to think about it and do some more research, though
Yeah I thought about switching to a UHP all - season tire. I have the Goodyear F1 asymmetrical UHP A/S on my G. There are a lot of replacement choices for the SS's 19's. Michelin pilot super sports come in that size I think.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:18 PM
SmokyQ_xS

Yeah I thought about switching to a UHP all - season tire. I have the Goodyear F1 asymmetrical UHP A/S on my G. There are a lot of replacement choices for the SS's 19's. Michelin pilot super sports come in that size I think.
How do you like the Goodyears? They are one of the options for the SS I was considering.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
A bit of a poser move IMO. Anyone who says they can't tell the difference between the Malibu and the SS needs to turn in their 'car guy' card ASAP.
Been in the car game a long time chief and I'm willing to bet I know a good deal more about performance oriented cars than others so you can take that "car guy" comment and .....................

With that said, is the SS a malibu? Of course not (but you have to admit, they do look similar). All I was saying is it looked better in person than the photos and that was actually a compliment since I'm sure the SS looks better in person as well (so take that for what it's worth). No need to get defensive because you have one hell of a car there and like I said before, enjoy.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:27 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SmokyQ_xS
How do you like the Goodyears? They are one of the options for the SS I was considering.
I like them alot. They are good in the rain, quiet on the highway, and have an aggressive stance or look about them. My first choice was the Pirelli P Zero Nero UHP A/S but they were a bit more dough.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 AM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Been in the car game a long time chief and I'm willing to bet I know a good deal more about performance oriented cars than others so you can take that "car guy" comment and .....................

With that said, is the SS a malibu? Of course not (but you have to admit, they do look similar). All I was saying is it looked better in person than the photos and that was actually a compliment since I'm sure the SS looks better in person as well (so take that for what it's worth). No need to get defensive because you have one hell of a car there and like I said before, enjoy.
You misunderstood. That wasn't directed at you. You obviously are not part of that crowd since you identified the car you saw as a Malibu. It was just a general comment - no need to get defensive - wasn't meant for you.

Thanks on the car tho - i still enjoy looking at my G everytime i look out the window. Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
AroundTheG37 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:02 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
All this V8 talk is making me think about the SRT8 challenger i didn't buy.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:24 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
All this V8 talk is making me think about the SRT8 challenger i didn't buy.
Not 4 doors and pretty much a straight line car but still loads of fun. Do it! LOL.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 PM
ToeKnee Sea
Registered Member

Not 4 doors and pretty much a straight line car but still loads of fun. Do it! LOL.
Just dont get a Charger. It was rated third on the list of cars owners trade in after one year of ownership (Buick regal #1).
Old 07-16-2015, 01:51 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Just dont get a Charger. It was rated third on the list of cars owners trade in after one year of ownership (Buick regal #1).
Also the fact it doesn't come with a manual trans makes it a big nope.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:48 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Also the fact it doesn't come with a manual trans makes it a big nope.
Which is a shame you can get a R/T or SRT8 Challenger with a MT. I'd rock a 6MT SRT8 Charger.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:41 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
For those that own or test drove this car, what do you think about the steering? I test drove one today (an auto!@#). It seemed to handle pretty well between the drive modes. However, even in sport mode, the steering felt very light and numb compared to the G37(S). I'm sure it's something i'd get used to but was one of the few things that stuck out to me. Maybe the tires were over inflated.

Aside from that, space wise was very nice inside. Enough room in the back for adults and a decent sized trunk. The auto version is a double wammy. You pay $1300 for a gas guzzler tax and $1xxx for the automatic trans. Manual saves you at least $2500 . Fit and finish seemed like typical chevy. For a car in this price bracket I expected a bit more soft touch materials, less plastic.

What'd I love to see is a ats-v drive line in one of these. Probably won't happen as it would be a direct competitor to the caddy. Which btw is over $60K nicely equipped. At the end of the day, the G37s (sedan) holds its own pretty well I think. Not a member of the 400HP club, but does very well in most other respects.

Appearance wise it's an awesome sleeper car. From a distance to the lay person looks just like a malibu. Chrome wheels.. Eh.. Satin darker wheels would look nicer I think. It does ride on 19" bridgestone re050a.

@efuseakay Don't get hung up on awd. The rwd g is perfectly capable of snow driving with winter tires here in chicago. Remember the blizzard we had on 2011 or '12. I was out that afternoon in my camaro (with winter tires). Didn't get stuck at all. Ground clearance on both cars (g and camaro) becomes an issue long before traction.

Edit: One other question, I couldn't find the button to open the trunk outside. Does this car not have that feature?

Last edited by JSolo; 08-01-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: BYE, bye G37, Hello SS