Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone broke in to both my infiniti's - opened the doors without keys

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM
moteel

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stratos
Nobody is camping for codes, at least not in the cases where they just open the doors and steal the stuff inside but otherwise leave the car alone.

This article explains what is actually going on:
Thieves using a $17 device to break into cars with keyless systems

And these are some of the stuff you can use to prevent this from happening(quick searched faraday box):https://www.google.com/search?q=fara...y+box&tbm=shop

Basically, if you kept any silver bags that most hard drives come in, those will do nicely.
I read a similar piece on the Jalopnik or CNET site. I believe they siad that they can pickup a signal upto 50 ft away. I read that a small box lined with aluminum foil would work, so I use a static bag and the box.
Anyone knows how to test if this works?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 PM
madjack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, put the fob in the box/bag in your pocket. Walk up to the car and press the button on the handle.

When I did this, it would not open unless I had my pocket right up against the handle.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Hey, if you ever catch this guy let me know. The dealership wants $150 to program a spare key and if this guy can do it for less he doesn't need to be jacking stuff from cars anymore.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:23 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
Hey, if you ever catch this guy let me know. The dealership wants $150 to program a spare key and if this guy can do it for less he doesn't need to be jacking stuff from cars anymore.
lmao!!

$150 seems high. Are you providing the FOB or they are? in my case, i had a spare programmed where i provided the FOB and they charged me something like $70.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
The tollway ships their transponders wrapped in foil to prevent the units from being triggered during shipment. I wonder if the same would work for the key fobs used here.

.TESTING..................
Just tested this out. It works!!! Or more precisely, the transponder does not work when wrapped in foil, even when right next to the car. Problem solved. I suppose if you're in a neighborhood where this type of theft is occurring, the inconvenience is cheaper than loss of a car or its contents.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, that sucks. I live in a so-so neighborhood where my G37x is parked on the street. Would disabling the auto-unlock-when-pressing-the-door-handle-button feature take care of this?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by wlmmn
Man, that sucks. I live in a so-so neighborhood where my G37x is parked on the street. Would disabling the auto-unlock-when-pressing-the-door-handle-button feature take care of this?
If what they are saying is correct on how it works, disabling the door handle button should stop this.