Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying 2012 G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:56 AM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S

If you're worried about mpg then this isn't the car for you. Buy a Camry and pay my salary for a quarter of the year.
I used to have old Camry v6 3.0l and i was getting lower mpg than G37
Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael440
but I'm reading many negative comments
I've read that there is a lot of rattling noise
I also watched YouTube vid with guy complaining
I watched a couple of clips on YouTube where guy who was reviewing that car and he was complaining
No offense, Michael, but I'm done with you. There were a few serious responses here that you could have leveraged into valuable research, and from people who know this car really well. But this predisposition of yours to counter with vague references from Some Guy on YouTube is just LOL lame. You need to actually drive these cars.

Good luck with your next Camry.

/unsub
Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rochester
No offense, Michael, but I'm done with you. There were a few serious responses here that you could have leveraged into valuable research, and from people who know this car really well. But this predisposition of yours to counter with vague references from Some Guy on YouTube is just LOL lame. You need to actually drive these cars.

Good luck with your next Camry.

/unsub
Perfect.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Michael440

I didn't mean to upset you. All your comments about G37 are very valuable to me and all of you guys answered my questions. I had just concerns about a few
things that I read online or watches on YouTube, thats all.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:28 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about buying used 2013 G37 Sedan (RWD) early next year but I'm reading many negative comments regarding transmission and paint.
Pure hearsay

Is there any true that transmission of G37 is very sluggish and sometimes is searching for the right gear?
Mine goes into the exact gear that I put it in.
Never sluggish

Also, it puzzles me when I read that some people get only 12mpg in the city, and average only 17mpg or so. If that's the case I could go for M3 which will be more expensive but will give me similar MPG and better performance.
My current car gets 18 city / 21 combined / 26 Highway
I get excellent mileage.
MPG depends how you drive, temperature, humidity, tire pressure etc.

I'm on my second G and have been very happy.
My previous 06 G35 gave me 171796 happy miles

Telcoman
Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
What other cars are you debating Michael? I may have some valuable input.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Michael440

This is very helpful info AroundTheG37, thank you.

I was thinking about 2012 Acura TL and 2014 Lexus IS250. But I crossed those cars out. I don't like exterior and interior of TL and the fact it's FWD. While I really like styling and interior of IS250 it's pretty slow car unless I would go for 350 but they are pretty pricy.

I think I will go for G37. My friend is trying to convince me to get M3. He is saying I will be getting same mpg on G37 as M3, but I know he's BSing me. He has M3 and he's happy with it. He has over 50k miles on it and he didn't have any major problems with it except for power windows which wasn't expensive to fix, run flat tires that are nightmare. The only expensive repair was when he hit brick of ice in the winter but that was his fault.
I actually really like exterior and interior of Q50 but again, don't get mad guys, I read online that they don't drive as well as G37. Also Q50 has run-flat tires I know I can change them but still.
Why do you guys think infiniti decided to put run flat tires?

I was about to test drive G37 last weekend but they had only AWD so I didn't do it since I want RWD car. I'm guessing driving experience would be slightly different.

Last edited by Michael440; 11-11-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:01 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
I was about to test drive G37 last weekend but they had only AWD so I didn't do it since I want RWD car. I'm guessing driving experience would be slightly different.
FYI, don't confuse a G37X with a Subaru or any other full-time AWD vehicle. G37X is RWD unless it detects slip, then some power gets transferred to the front.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Man, you're all over the place. Fuel economy. Punishing ride. G37 Journey. M3.

When it comes to G37 S, while I love tight and stiff suspension, I read S ride is very punishing.
My friend is trying to convince me to get M3.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Michael440

Originally Posted by GAWD
FYI, don't confuse a G37X with a Subaru or any other full-time AWD vehicle. G37X is RWD unless it detects slip, then some power gets transferred to the front.

Yes, that's a good point. I think G37x weigh slightly more.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Michael440

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Man, you're all over the place. Fuel economy. Punishing ride. G37 Journey. M3.

Yeah it's a little all over the place but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about g37 from you guys.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:45 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Yeah it's a little all over the place but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about g37 from you guys.
I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I did some slight research, but didn't need to do much. I was looking for something in the low $20Ks with good performance, and RWD or AWD.

I ended up with the G37x (been craving AWD since I got rid of my 1995 Eclipse GSX). Lexus and BMW were close otpions...as was the Cadillac CTS and Lincolm MKS. I even thought about the Dodge Charger. Every car I drove was AWD capable.

The Cadillac makes more interior noise than the G37...my left leg resting on the door would squeek and the instrument clusted creaked when I touched it. The fit and finish on that car made me laugh considering what it sells for new.

None of the others offered as much performance and luxury for the money. The Infinitis seem to depreciate well, and you can save a lot of money.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 PM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm the owner of a 2010 G37s Anniversary Edition with the sports package, 4 wheel steering, etc. and the ride is not punishing, and IMHO makes for fun and spirited driving. It's actually a lot of fun to drive when you go after some twisties and grab some curves, but can also be nice and composed on the hwy when needed. As far as gas mileage, don't buy this car if you are looking for a fuel miser, this car isn't it. However, I commute 110 miles daily, and i'm averaging 25-26mpg, which is very good for a car like this. I had my 7AT updated with the TSB notification regarding the tranny issue, and haven't had any issues with the tranny since, that was 2 yrs ago. I heard a lot of wind noise in the rear of the car and took back to the dealer and found out the window seals were bad and needed replacement, no issues since replacement by dealer, at no cost. i had an annoying rattle that i thought was coming from the dashboard, but later determined that it was my sunglasses i stored in the overhead sunglass holder. Once I put a velvet liner in the sunglass holder, no more rattle or noise. Overall, this is a fun car to own, and I've enjoyed my G experience. I have the Graphite Shadow exterior with the monaco red leather interior, that's a very nice color combination. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Michael440

Red leather interior looks really nice. It's hard to get that combination on used car market.

Actually Mpg is not a deal breaker as my current car probably gets same or even worst than g37. But low or mid teens seems quite bad for this in this car market even for 3.7l engine. I guess it's something I have compromise.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I've watched the video, on Youtube, of the guy you are talking about. To answer your question, what exactly are you looking for in your car? If you want pure performance ofcourse the M3 would be a better decision, but that would be more expensive as well. If you want an economy car, get a prius or something. The G will give you all-round performance and luxury but don't expect it to be better than pure performance cars.

Also about the 7AT. Yes the transmission isn't one of the best. Suppose you're cruising on the highway at 60 mph in 7th gear and you just stomp on the gas the car will first shift to 5th then to 4th then to 3rd.

About the rattles my car has 7500 miles and there is no rattle coming from the dash, but the passenger side door rattles like hell. Although that's because an idiot backed into me so I had to get that door fixed.

Recently I've been getting very bad fuel economy, but that's because I have only been driving around in town, the car is quite highly modified, and I do accelerate quite aggressively. However, when the car was stock I used to get 20-22 mpg combined.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Razorr; 11-12-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying 2012 G37 Sedan