Why was a Sedan your choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
+1

The worst was the GTO which the mechanism to slide the seat forward was motorized and extremely SLOW!!!! And people always got their belt loop caught on the seatbelt holder..getting strangled by the seatbelt itself was a diferent story.
I was seconds away from buying one of those in 04 as well when I bought my 2004 G35 Sedan!

The drive train and 70s muscle car era feeling 'notchy' manual shifter was intoxicating and it was hard to think after test driving that beast. That car had gobs of torque. I recall you could almost roast the tires in 3rd gear going up a hill!

Anyway, what brought me back to reality was the ridiculous pace at which the front seat went forward (pack a lunch) and that incredibly small trunk (recall there was a gas tank inside that was moved from its original position to meet US standards). I was picturing myself driving to the airport with a giant suitcase in the back seat of my 30k dollar car and how silly that would look

I still contemplate buying one to this day. I also loved the look of the Holden and think is was severely bashed by critics only because of the expectation set by calling it a "GTO".
Old 02-14-2014, 02:26 PM
SphyNxXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I recently had a kid and I was driving a Genesis Coupe at the time. It was useful for us to have another sedan to go places as a family but I wanted something sporty and fun. The G37 fit the bill and I have been a fan of the G35/G37 since they came out.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Count me in as another fan of the GTO from the last decade. Almost bought one, too, but I just couldn't rationalize the impracticality and crudeness of the car... even though those were the same qualities that made it cool.

Particularly in Cyclone Gray Metallic. So pretty...

Name:  gto3.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  111.2 KB
Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SphyNxXx
My wife and I recently had a kid and I was driving a Genesis Coupe at the time. It was useful for us to have another sedan to go places as a family but I wanted something sporty and fun. The G37 fit the bill and I have been a fan of the G35/G37 since they came out.
Ah, I remember those stages well:
  1. Dis the minivan
  2. Need a minivan
  3. Buy a minivan
  4. Love the minivan
  5. Sell the minivan
  6. Miss the minivan
  7. Dis the minivan

SphyNxXx, you need a minivan, you just don't know it yet.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LOL, I got the Sedan simply because I have 2 small kids. Keep in mind, I do try to keep them out of it and use the Wife's MDX for "family" related activities as much as possible.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorr
If i was alllowed to get a coupe i'd get a mustang gt. But i had to get a sedan or else my parents wont let me get a car
Best reason so far.

Mommy and daddy wouldn't let me get a coupe
Old 02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I was seconds away from buying one of those in 04 as well when I bought my 2004 G35 Sedan!

The drive train and 70s muscle car era feeling 'notchy' manual shifter was intoxicating and it was hard to think after test driving that beast. That car had gobs of torque. I recall you could almost roast the tires in 3rd gear going up a hill!

Anyway, what brought me back to reality was the ridiculous pace at which the front seat went forward (pack a lunch) and that incredibly small trunk (recall there was a gas tank inside that was moved from its original position to meet US standards). I was picturing myself driving to the airport with a giant suitcase in the back seat of my 30k dollar car and how silly that would look

I still contemplate buying one to this day. I also loved the look of the Holden and think is was severely bashed by critics only because of the expectation set by calling it a "GTO".
It did have gobs of torque...even in the '04 5.7L I had. That engine was amazing...you can tell it can take a beating and keep on ticking (pushrods might be "old school" but you just can't beat its durability and ability to make tons more power). Every mod you did to it..you can feel some sort of gain. I only installed the Lingenfelter RAM intake and it just opened up the upper end of the car and pulled like mad to redline and made that engine sing! A lot of people S/Ced them too....Oh and that trunk was pitiful! And with how thick the fronts seats were, you'd also be lucky to get a suitcase in the back seat (I was in the process of moving to my new place when I bought the GTO and couldn't even fit a few boxes in the back seat thru the middle fronts!)...I decided to get rid of her after I put 20K miles and went thru a set of tires in 10 months! She was tons of fun...but the 14-17mpg was killing me too! And this was the time when the gas prices started to climb...I also contemplated getting another GTO in the 6.0L guise..but they are hard to find in good condition and not beat on...then again the parts for that car..at least the LS1 engine and mechanicals are cheap and everywhere!

Last edited by 10Gee37exeS; 02-14-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Byron Sexton

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
sadly infiniti didn't come out with an IPL Sedan....If they did I would have gotten that.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Count me in as another fan of the GTO from the last decade. Almost bought one, too, but I just couldn't rationalize the impracticality and crudeness of the car... even though those were the same qualities that made it cool.

Particularly in Cyclone Gray Metallic. So pretty...

The car was pure muscle car..there was absolutely nothing "high tech" or creature comforty in it! It was basically a 'Vette with back seats....not even the option of a sun/moonroof. I should've waitied for the 6.0L, but my e36 M3 (which was also a sedan, or saloon as the Germans called it) was having an extended-warranty-just-expired-at-100K-miles crisis and I panicked and sold her and bought the '04 GTO 5.7L. They had a cool limited color that I wasnted called Brazen Orange Metallic. Mine was boring Quicksilver Metallic on Black.

Last edited by 10Gee37exeS; 02-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
i went for the sedan for many of the above posted rationale - except for the mommy 'n daddy one.

i also love the sleeper aspect of the 6MT sedan. people are always blown away with the performance, handling and the fact that it's a stick. the coupe is what drew me to the G lineup back in '04, but after driving both i opted for the sedan 6MT. i was coming from a Mazda MX6 coupe (student car) and while i loved how smooth that car was, it turned me off coupes for the foreseeable future. the wide doors, restricted backseat access, and body flex due to no B-pillar was too much to live through again.

while the sedan doesn't sound as sexy as the coupe or look quite as flashy, 4 doors does have its advantages. my '04 6MT sedan had reclining rear seats which were a hit with friends. i was ticked to learn those were dropped '07+. a sedan draws less attention from insurers, thieves and cops which is great. sedans are lighter - i went to the strip back in '06 with a 6MT coupe buddy and beat him each time by ~2/10s. my car was about 105lbs lighter if memory serves. all that extra chassis reinforcing adds on the pounds!

now that i have a little one the 4 doors are handy for the rare occasion when the car seat is in my ride. shoes off though, of course! someone earlier mentioned their seat backs taking a beating. removing shoes is a simple solution.

and don't forget the rear armrest "secret" storage compartment...isn't that reason enough?

Last edited by canucklehead; 02-14-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had a G coupe, but at 6' 6" I just couldn't get comfortable. I wanted a similar sporty feel with a little more room, so the sedan was the logical choice.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:48 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I was "this" close to buying a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as my commuter when my 04 Acura TSX required too much in repair costs. The Acura was a great car and had 150K when I traded it in, but it needed a new AC compressor, new windshield, and was beginning to burn oil. Prior to the car needing too much, it was perfect- reasonably fun to drive. Economical to own (I consistently got 29-32 MPG) and not in everybody's driveway.

I always wanted a Jeep and was going to get a loaded red Rubicon to replace the TSX. Leather, Nav, black soft top, etc. I'm not really a SUV guy and really love cars so the thought of owning 3 SUV's (QX56, Q7, and the Jeep) wasn't entirely appealing. But the thought of the Jeep always sitting in my garage, top down, waiting for me was awesome. Unfortunately the JK that my Jeep dealer trucked in was the wrong color red and I wasn't throwing 40K down on something I didn't love. I was looking at buying in June and Jeep was already transiting into the '14s and I didn't want to wait. There wasn't another color or JK equipped the way I wanted it so I moved on.

That led me to reopen the search and I quickly honed in on either a G or Audi S4. I loved many parts of the S4 but the back seat was too tight for my 3 kids. The G was perfect and represented a logical step up from my TSX. Fun to drive, way more power, but still economical, especially in terms of entry price. I was going to buy a new one, but my Infiniti dealer had a xS that they were looking to move. They offered a great deal on the G and took my TSX off my hands for way more than I expected. End of story.

It's funny b/c the G has become my "go to" vehicle. I look to drive it way more than the QX or Q7. I have dreams about stuffing the VQ into the Miata
Old 02-14-2014, 05:49 PM
mkmcfrlnd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen guys. In the interest of fairness... Even though I'm 34 with a wife and two kids, both of my parents like and approve of my G37x sedan!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Best reason so far.

Mommy and daddy wouldn't let me get a coupe
Well when they are buying you the car you don't have much of an option do you?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Assuming you're on the level, Razorr, it's probably best not to bring that up again.

Either way, it's certainly bad form to complain about the INFINITI your parents bought for you. Just is, man.

Quick Reply: Why was a Sedan your choice?