Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Beginning Custom Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Many pics will be taken for sure. I wish my buddy Joe was home from CO - he always took pictures for me while I paid him in beer and food to help me with my projects. He's half the reason I made good DIYs lol. I guess I'll get a substitute to shoot pictures for me.

I actually searched a few junk yards for some totaled Infiniti sedans so I could swipe the headlights from them. VERY hard to find. That way I wouldn't be left without a useless car just sitting in my garage. Then I could always mod those and sell them to someone (at their spec, and my capabilities).

ninjitsui1 - I like your idea of the gunmetal shrouds...... You have my brain turning. I'm wondering what black housings will look like with graphite shadow color-matched shrouds.... I'm envisioning it being too much, but at the same time it may look cool.

On a very side note - what are most people doing? Matte black or gloss black housings? I'm still up in the air about that also.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Many pics will be taken for sure. I wish my buddy Joe was home from CO - he always took pictures for me while I paid him in beer and food to help me with my projects. He's half the reason I made good DIYs lol. I guess I'll get a substitute to shoot pictures for me. I actually searched a few junk yards for some totaled Infiniti sedans so I could swipe the headlights from them. VERY hard to find. That way I wouldn't be left without a useless car just sitting in my garage. Then I could always mod those and sell them to someone (at their spec, and my capabilities). ninjitsui1 - I like your idea of the gunmetal shrouds...... You have my brain turning. I'm wondering what black housings will look like with graphite shadow color-matched shrouds.... I'm envisioning it being too much, but at the same time it may look cool. On a very side note - what are most people doing? Matte black or gloss black housings? I'm still up in the air about that also.
My 2012 housings are already black chrome, with regular chrome shrouds. I don't have the time to leave these open to cure for several days. I might revisit this for painting purposes late in the year. For now, I'm looking to make the physical changes.

Are you going to be wearing gloves when handling your lenses? I'm wary of fingerprints, so I plan on putting on a pair of gloves and replacing the lens last after fiddling about with the angel eyes.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by ninjitsui1
Just wanted to echo that I'm in the process of getting everything together to mod my headlights. Will be blacking out the housing, gunmetal for the shrouds, adding led orb rings, and swapping to sti-r lenses. I didn't think to black out the reflector with niteshades but I might be opting to do that now! My original thought was to cut a slit and run a white led strip for functionality, but wasn't sure if this was legal. Probably more legal than a complete black out of the reflector though. Can you guys confirm what size (mm) the ring should be around the low beam projector shroud should be? I'm also really curious about "converting" the city light shroud to fit another set of halos, I'd love to see pics of this! But for now, I'm content with just a pair of halos. One last question, I wanted to run my led rings to 3-way switch that can turn on upon ignition (DRLs), always on (just the halos), or completely off. Does anyone have insight on the wire setup to do that? Subscribed, can't wait to see some pics.
The coupe lens is 2.5 inches OD so I bought a 72mm ring to fit around that. The sedan lens is 3", so I'd estimate about 80mm for a ring that will fit around it.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoFightNguyen:
ninjitsui1 (12-19-2013), tai01 (11-29-2014)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
My 2012 housings are already black chrome, with regular chrome shrouds. I don't have the time to leave these open to cure for several days. I might revisit this for painting purposes late in the year. For now, I'm looking to make the physical changes.

Are you going to be wearing gloves when handling your lenses? I'm wary of fingerprints, so I plan on putting on a pair of gloves and replacing the lens last after fiddling about with the angel eyes.
I use gloves on anything I do - mechanical work, electrical work, etc. I'm just used to working with a covering on my hands. For stuff like this, I use powered gloves. Also I like nitrile better than latex gloves. The nitrile gloves have a softer feel to them when I'm working on things.

For this purpose though, non-powered is what you need. I'd get a box of these just to have.
Amazon.com - Dynarex Black Nitrile Exam Gloves, Heavy-Duty, Powder Free, Large, Box/100 Amazon.com - Dynarex Black Nitrile Exam Gloves, Heavy-Duty, Powder Free, Large, Box/100
The following users liked this post:
GoFightNguyen (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjitsui1
Just wanted to echo that I'm in the process of getting everything together to mod my headlights. Will be blacking out the housing, gunmetal for the shrouds, adding led orb rings, and swapping to sti-r lenses.

I didn't think to black out the reflector with niteshades but I might be opting to do that now! My original thought was to cut a slit and run a white led strip for functionality, but wasn't sure if this was legal. Probably more legal than a complete black out of the reflector though.

Can you guys confirm what size (mm) the ring should be around the low beam projector shroud should be? I'm also really curious about "converting" the city light shroud to fit another set of halos, I'd love to see pics of this! But for now, I'm content with just a pair of halos.

One last question, I wanted to run my led rings to 3-way switch that can turn on upon ignition (DRLs), always on (just the halos), or completely off. Does anyone have insight on the wire setup to do that?

Subscribed, can't wait to see some pics.
My DRLs are wired to turn on/off w/ a dash switch anytime the ignition is on, it's an 09 but the wiring should be similar.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...in-bumper.html
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
connoisseurr (12-19-2013), ninjitsui1 (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Many pics will be taken for sure. I wish my buddy Joe was home from CO - he always took pictures for me while I paid him in beer and food to help me with my projects. He's half the reason I made good DIYs lol. I guess I'll get a substitute to shoot pictures for me.

I actually searched a few junk yards for some totaled Infiniti sedans so I could swipe the headlights from them. VERY hard to find. That way I wouldn't be left without a useless car just sitting in my garage. Then I could always mod those and sell them to someone (at their spec, and my capabilities).

ninjitsui1 - I like your idea of the gunmetal shrouds...... You have my brain turning. I'm wondering what black housings will look like with graphite shadow color-matched shrouds.... I'm envisioning it being too much, but at the same time it may look cool.

On a very side note - what are most people doing? Matte black or gloss black housings? I'm still up in the air about that also.
I used matte black, mainly because Matte paint seems to bond better to shiny surfaces, but still looks
Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I used matte black, mainly because Matte paint seems to bond better to shiny surfaces, but still looks

I used matte on the reflector, and semi-gloss on the shrouds.

I was uber paranoid about the prep - I sanded all the chrome off, washed, used prep spray, and washed again, and the paint adhered perfectly.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I've always has issue painting over chrome - problems with paint chipping off. I second the removal of the chrome and properly prepping the surface before applying your paint coat(s).

Brad I like your idea of using a switch to control the DRLs. I will definitely be going this route now. I have an open switch spot located near my Key Port - I'll find an OE switch for it. I've since reworked my wiring diagram to run off an open port in the fusebox that is 12v hot. It will be very simple to run a wire up to that open button on my lower dash.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM
ninjitsui1

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm loving this thread and the quick responses! Thanks for the input guys! I have to personally thank Brad as I think he's helped me on at least 4 of my projects directly and indirectly though his DIY's.

I think I'll be going a sem-gloss black and matte dark gunmetal. This is to add some contrast instead of an all black headlight but still keep it sleek. I considered going paint matched shrouds but I don't know if the slate blue would really pop all that much or be noticeable. What grit do you guys recommend to sand down the chrome? And would you primer before you paint?

Fyi, I'm getting my led rings from here, Automotive LED Lights & Kits - Luce Produkt Innovations. I want the additional light output that I hear CCFL rings lack in comparison and I hear they last longer. It looks like they have 80 and 81 mm rings, I'm emailing them to confirm what they recommend for sizing. I believe these are the same rings 180nyc uses. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention this, but please let me know and I can edit it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by ninjitsui1:
blnewt (12-20-2013), tai01 (11-29-2014)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I would recommend 80 or 100 to remove the chrome finish, a 150 to level out that rough sanding, and then a 220 to finish it off. I would prime and then hit it with some more 220 and you should be good to go for paint. Just make sure your surface is 100% CLEAN before you apply paint. Wash it off, then hit it with some isopropyl alcohol.

I've actually created a small paint booth for doing jobs like this. In the past, I've used two extra large rolling closet covers, but now clear plastic tarp and make myself a small room, with ventilation of course. Just helps to keep dirt and debris from getting in your paint.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 PM
JPSBLACKG37

Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
I would recommend 80 or 100 to remove the chrome finish, a 150 to level out that rough sanding, and then a 220 to finish it off. I would prime and then hit it with some more 220 and you should be good to go for paint. Just make sure your surface is 100% CLEAN before you apply paint. Wash it off, then hit it with some isopropyl alcohol.

I've actually created a small paint booth for doing jobs like this. In the past, I've used two extra large rolling closet covers, but now clear plastic tarp and make myself a small room, with ventilation of course. Just helps to keep dirt and debris from getting in your paint.

Umm...... You realize the housings are.... Plastic right....... Not chrome..... You 80 grit that **** and you will effectively ruin them......

Please don't attempt any of which you are saying. You are not ready for this project. ( take my advice bc I paint cars for a living )
Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 PM
JPSBLACKG37

Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
Simply clean them...wax and grease remover... And adhesion promote, then paint. Done. Headlights are sealed the stuff won't peel.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Yes...... I think I would know this. I've done many many many headlight jobs before and this has always been my effective way of removing the chrome paint and prepping the housings. I'm not removing ALL the chrome with the 80 grit, I'm simply roughing the surface of it. The 150 will come through and do the job nicely then. I'm not trying to start a pissing war with you here, just elaborating on my my techniques.

I may not paint cars for a living, but I have a common knowledge of painting techniques and procedures. I also have the knowledge of painting a car myself and wouldn't use this method on the exterior of a vehicle. With that being said, I really don't care to take your advice, but thanks for the input.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

I'm in the middle of the headlight modification. Here's a teaser for you.

Beginning Custom Headlights-image-3557734385.jpg
Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Done with the mods, too tired to install tonight, I'll finish tomorrow.

Beginning Custom Headlights-image-723523296.jpg

Quick Reply: Beginning Custom Headlights