Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Is that a flux capacitor? Has it been converted to run on garbage?

Not that I'm disparaging New Jersey. I wouldn't do that.
But New Jersey is the "Garden State." Don't feel bad, I live in "America's Dairyland" so I got to spend 10 minutes with a power washer on my wheel wells this morning so my car does not smell like cow manure (subtly linking the previous BTTF pic). Went for a country drive yesterday in search of twisty roads and came across a small section of road where the farmer also sprayed the road with his manure spreader. Woke up this morning to a very rank smelling garage.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Went for a country drive yesterday in search of twisty roads and came across a small section of road where the farmer also sprayed the road with his manure spreader. Woke up this morning to a very rank smelling garage.

One of the things about my Vossens that I really dislike, is the way road dirt from rainy days can make a ring of sludge just inside the lip. It's a PITA because that ring goes completely around the rim, *behind* the spokes.

Whatever the physics principle is making this happen, it rather sucks. So either I keep my wheels clean all the freaking time, or if I let them go, I have to spend a knuckle-busting effort on all four. I can only properly wax them once a year, when taking them off for winter.

And while I love the look of that deep recessed lip, it's really difficult to clean all the bay back. Not to mention how hard it is to properly reach the valve stem... which I just did. Really sucks.

Now that I've ranted my First World Problems... LOL
Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Switched to Winter Mode over the weekend even though it was in the mid 60's

OEM wheels cleared the BBK with 20mm spacers:

Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts

One of the things about my Vossens that I really dislike, is the way road dirt from rainy days can make a ring of sludge just inside the lip. It's a PITA because that ring goes completely around the rim, *behind* the spokes.

Whatever the physics principle is making this happen, it rather sucks. So either I keep my wheels clean all the freaking time, or if I let them go, I have to spend a knuckle-busting effort on all four. I can only properly wax them once a year, when taking them off for winter.

And while I love the look of that deep recessed lip, it's really difficult to clean all the bay back. Not to mention how hard it is to properly reach the valve stem... which I just did. Really sucks.

1st world problems for sure, but styled wheels can be a real pain to keep clean. We just got my wife a new Murano in October and got extremely lucky that it came from the other dealer with chrome rims, even though it was not supposed to.

The wheels look great, but chrome is usually impossible to keep clean. I have tried wax in the past, but never noticed much of a difference. Anyway, they have a wheel protectant in the shop made by auto armor that I thought I would try.

It works amazingly well so far. I have not had to clean the rims in almost 2 months?!? and to say I am a bit of a perfectionist is a huge understatement. Not sure if you can find the Auto Armor wheel protectant or something similar at a dealership or autoparts store, but this stuff really works.

Just be glad you did not paint your wheels white like one of my co-workers. Yikes that would suck to try to keep clean.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts

I have 5 spokes and no inner lip, and Im still on all fours trying to get them clean. I feel your pain....
Old 11-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
I have 5 spokes and no inner lip, and Im still on all fours trying to get them clean. I feel your pain....
5 spokes sounds like a dream to clean.

Here's a pic from early last year... knuckle-busters. The lips covers 4/5 of the inner rim, and since it's so visually integral to the overall rim design, it has to stay clean, just like the spokes.

Again, I know this is a rant about something that is otherwise a win. Guess I had a little more rant in me.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

See, im an optimist, I always try to look at the brighter side of things lol. Arent you glad you didnt go with these? hahaha.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
These here? Those look like a breeze to clean... [edit]

No, wait, I found your newbie thread. Hmm, you should start a progress thread.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:43 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Actually not a breeze John since his 5 spokes are split hence giving 10 spokes to clean around.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Actually not a breeze John since his 5 spokes are split hence giving 10 spokes to clean around.
Perhaps.

For a number of years, I was intending to someday buy the Vossen CV3. Part of the reasoning was that they would be easy to clean. In the end, they just looked too common and too aggressive (IMO).

Anyway, lessons learned for next car or next wheels, I suppose.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Seeing Rochester's wheel on the dining room table immediately brought to mind:

'You know you're a car-nut when...'

Sean
Old 11-30-2015, 03:40 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID
Seeing Rochester's wheel on the dining room table immediately brought to mind:

'You know you're a car-nut when...'

Sean
Yeah, my forgestars are too pretty right now to be sitting in the dusty ol garage. I think I'll find a way to get them into the house and displayed for eye candy until someone buys them.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

They're not that bad. The split a wider than a finger so I can get right in there.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:38 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

So this is happening right now... And my diode dynamics tail as turn just arrived

Edit:
Done. Cant wait till my new oil filter cap, and radiator cap cover arrive.

Last edited by hexotic; 11-30-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice work Hex! Keep it up over in your new build thread
And if you want a different name for your thread shoot me a PM
https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ss-thread.html

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread