Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Installed the exhaust a few days ago, took sound clips & will post pics tomorrow (hopefully I can figure out how to post the sound clips). I echo Deeprumbles' assessment regarding the fit, finish, and overall quality of the exhaust. The exhaust came packaged better than anything I've ever received (this may be the standard way to ship an exhaust since I've never bought one before, but still very impressed w/ the care in packaging). The flanges are very substantial and they mount up very true. No adjustment was necessary at all, everything centered up and the tips are the same distance from the bumper recesses as the stock tips.The welds are very good and the tips are solid, just a very nicely put together system. For $399 shipped I was expecting thinner walled tubing and not the perfect fit & quality finish that I ended up receiving. I wasn't expecting junk, but I just had lower expectations since the price was so low and there wasn't much history on this particular application.

I really like the deeper tone of the exhaust note, just a mellow rumble at idle and really opens up nicely as you get on the gas. It also passes the butt-dyno test, definitely feels more responsive. If anyone is on the fence w/ this exhaust I'd jump on this deal. Sure there are more complete "true" catbacks, this IS only from the Y pipe back, but it a lot of bang for the buck. Just about as much money as an intake, but you can enjoy the sound all the time
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I'm in for the pics, blnewt! Congrats on the mod. Now that you've got it on your car, can you double-check the tip-width, please?

And don't get too hung up on that "true catback" nonsense. You bought some nice, new mufflers for a decent price... go with that.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:04 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm in for the pics, blnewt! Congrats on the mod. Now that you've got it on your car, can you double-check the tip-width, please?

And don't get too hung up on that "true catback" nonsense. You bought some nice, new mufflers for a decent price... go with that.
Thanks! The tips are 4.5" OD so they definitely give the sedan a more aggressive look. I'll get those pics up this afternoon.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

As promised, hopefully I'll get those sound clips up too

Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I don't know diddly about welding, but that looks like pretty thorough manufacturing and materials. I think tips are a little bit too wide (for my taste is all), although they do look good. Perhaps the reason they seem so prominent is because the slash cut is barely perceptible, like 10*. If it were a 30* cut, that might do the trick for me.

OAN, look at you with the vinyl overlays on your tails and the partially debadged trunk. Looking good in black on black.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I don't know diddly about welding, but that looks like pretty thorough manufacturing and materials. I think tips are a little bit too wide (for my taste is all), although they do look good. Perhaps the reason they seem so prominent is because the slash cut is barely perceptible, like 10*. If it were a 30* cut, that might do the trick for me.

OAN, look at you with the vinyl overlays on your tails and the partially debadged trunk. Looking good in black on black.
Thanks, I'm very happy w/ the build quality and the tips cut looks about right from the sides IMO. The pipes are pretty big but fits well w/ the lowered stance, blacked out grill, lights, and trim. I think maybe they'd look overly aggressive on a stock G sedan however. I like the look of the overlays but I think I'll be painting the tails later on and also the headlights when I get brave enough to put something from my car into an oven, lol
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
I like the look of the overlays but I think I'll be painting the tails later on and also the headlights when I get brave enough to put something from my car into an oven, lol
Well, that's true. Overlays take a better picture than they actually look up close with your own eyeballs. It's always a personal call.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Well, that's true. Overlays take a better picture than they actually look up close with your own eyeballs. It's always a personal call.
Actually I like them better in person, they don't seem to photo as well, at least that's been my experience. I like the result, but the painted headlight housings really stand out. I may just leave the tails as is, they look pretty sweet at night
Old 03-22-2012, 03:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here's a couple sound clips, sorry for the crappy audio, it really doesn't pick up the idle tone much at all
G37 sound clip TopSpeed - YouTube

G37 sedan Top Speed exhaust - YouTube
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
looked like you got stuck for a minute there pulling into the driveway lol.

Can you get any sound clips from the interior, especially at normal driving speeds? Any drone?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by BLamb
looked like you got stuck for a minute there pulling into the driveway lol.

Can you get any sound clips from the interior, especially at normal driving speeds? Any drone?
LOL, it is a steep drive and I choked under the pressure of being filmed

I'll try to get a cabin sound clip for you in the next day or two. No drone that I can tell, just a deeper tone in the 2-3k range.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
You gotta admit, that was kind of funny in a Warner Bros. sort of way.

It must certainly be nice to be able to hear your car again (I miss that). How's it sound inside at cruising speed? IMO, the idea exhaust would be deep and rasp-less with the throttle, but relatively quiet when cruising at low idle.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Not bad. Looks like my Tanabe, but sounds a little bit louder.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM
qpham45

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
This really sounds good. i might look into these.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here's the interior sound clip, sorry for all the background noise, not sure what the hell caused all that
G37 Sedan top Speed Exhaust Interior Sound Clip -Youtube

Quick Reply: Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?