Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, while I'm not involved in your negotiations, they don't owe you a pair of paddle shifters. Good luck, though! Maybe you should remove the steering column cover, find the wires, and show them how it's done. Install the paddles in their parking lot.

Don't expect a difference in shifting, though. It's the same electronics the manual (stick) shifter uses.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:04 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Almatti
But he called today to say that The Paddle Shifters are not an Option - in other words, Infinti is not willing to add the PShifters because, despite the "blog" entries as he put it, they will Not Work on My car??? He confirmed with Infiniti Engineers. Is this BS or Not??
An authorized Infiniti dealer cannot install parts on your car that are not made for your model. There are mod shops for that. They look at your Vin#, and if the vin is not mated to that specific part, they will not put it on. I went through this with my Sway bar from an S coupe. I wanted to put one on my sedan. I wanted to order it from Infiniti and do it there, and they didn't let me do either. And my arguments of "well...this is an Infiniti part that I'm installing on an Infiniti...what's the difference?" and "But I'll pay you!" had no effect. I had to do it elswere. Might as well.... saved a bunch of money.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
Sorry, I should searched more carefully before my previous post...

squal17 has a 2010 G37x sedan and installed paddle shifters.

simpson_G37X has a 2010 G37x coupe and installed paddle shifters.

Guess its time to call BS on that Infiniti DM who said I can't be done!
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
It is BS, unless your G is not pre-wired. It may not be worth the expense to get it wired if it's not already. I think they're just trying to avoid installing a pair for you.

Remove the screws under the steering column and have a look. Again, those connectors can be hidden (wrapped in tape) and tucked in, you may have to dig them out if there, but most likely are there.
squal and simpson did it on G37Xs. Tinsley, why would my car not be pre-wired? Also, the DM told me that when operating the PShifters, it is similiar to the manula Mode, in that, after downshifting with the Paddles in D Mode, the car does NOT return to D mode after the Momentary paddle shift. I think that is BS as well.... Can you guys confirm what I think it does: use of the Paddles is momentary in either D or Ds mode and then returns to that program !!! I would imagine that in Manual Mode, using the Paddles is the same as using the console shifter: it wouls tay in the gear selected unless the user hits the Paddles or the shifter to change the gear?? Right?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
An authorized Infiniti dealer cannot install parts on your car that are not made for your model. There are mod shops for that. They look at your Vin#, and if the vin is not mated to that specific part, they will not put it on. I went through this with my Sway bar from an S coupe. I wanted to put one on my sedan. I wanted to order it from Infiniti and do it there, and they didn't let me do either. And my arguments of "well...this is an Infiniti part that I'm installing on an Infiniti...what's the difference?" and "But I'll pay you!" had no effect. I had to do it elswere. Might as well.... saved a bunch of money.
BLKG37X: I beleive that is part of their argument, but the DM is quoted as saying, he checked with Infinti engineers. The Paddle Shifters won't work!! And as you can see from this thread - memebers say it DOES...It is BS, b/c I WANT THEM TO PAY FOR IT....as a consideration to TRY them pursuant to my dissatisfaction claim about the driveability with the 7AT. (I'm sure you have seen my posts on those Tranny Threads...I know I've seen yours too..
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
squal and simpson did it on G37Xs.
I don't think either has an Xs... check their sigs.
Paddle shifters come from the factory with the 2010 Xs package.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
photoalexd

squal and simpson did it on G37Xs. Tinsley, why would my car not be pre-wired? Also, the DM told me that when operating the PShifters, it is similiar to the manula Mode, in that, after downshifting with the Paddles in D Mode, the car does NOT return to D mode after the Momentary paddle shift. I think that is BS as well.... Can you guys confirm what I think it does: use of the Paddles is momentary in either D or Ds mode and then returns to that program !!! I would imagine that in Manual Mode, using the Paddles is the same as using the console shifter: it wouls tay in the gear selected unless the user hits the Paddles or the shifter to change the gear?? Right?
Almatti,

I do have G37x '10 with prem and navi just like yours and I installed paddle shifters about 1 year ago without any problems on it. The car was pre-wired and I'm pretty sure yours is pre-wired as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM
BLKG37X

BLKG37X: I beleive that is part of their argument, but the DM is quoted as saying, he checked with Infinti engineers. The Paddle Shifters won't work!! And as you can see from this thread - memebers say it DOES...It is BS, b/c I WANT THEM TO PAY FOR IT....as a consideration to TRY them pursuant to my dissatisfaction claim about the driveability with the 7AT. (I'm sure you have seen my posts on those Tranny Threads...I know I've seen yours too..
He probably didn't even ask anyone. Probably went out back for a smoke and came back saying that he asked around and it can't be done.

I doubt they will pay for anything, even if they are aware of the 7AT issues. I want the paddles too, just want to make sure it's wired. I think it would improve my driving experience. I would particularly enjoy to be able to downshift quick and not having to take my hands off the wheel and go for the shifter. Also I like that it goes back to D after a little while like some people say it does.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM
hadokenuh

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
He probably didn't even ask anyone. Probably went out back for a smoke and came back saying that he asked around and it can't be done.
^^ This!

I've learned not to trust anyone at the dealership besides the receptionists.

Almatti - I'd just recommend you to install the paddle shifters at your expense (~250$) and enjoy the car. You'll be more happy than you are right now fighting your local dealership.

If you are in DS, and use the shifters, it will stay whatever gear you select. If you are in D, it will go back after a couple of seconds. So when you are cruising and want to pass, just tap the left once (it will drop to 5 from 7, yes 5 NOT 6) and gun it. If you want to have more fun, tap it twice (it will drop to 4). This will essentially eliminate most of the hesitation.
The following users liked this post:
andylegend (04-18-2017)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 PM
BuzzLY37

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
The modification for this DIY that allows you to install the paddle shifters without removing the steering wheel is on page 20 of the thread.

DIY: Installing Sport paddles - Page 20 - G35Driver

1. Steering position all the way out and up.
2. remove lower trim from the steering column
3. turn steering wheel to the left, and remove the screw on the right column trim this is the screw behind the steering wheel. This seems to be a little hard to do, but just pull a little, and it will pop right out. This might be the hardest part, but don't get scared. You wont mess anything up.
4. Turn steering wheel to the right and remove the left screw. then Remove the trim on the left. (If you have the electric telescoping wheel, then you would need to unplug the telescoping ****. fairly simple)
5. Plug the paddles in and put the new trim in place.

I've got a set of paddle shifters on order so I'll be doing this mod myself soon.
is it possible for you to take some pictures when you install? lol im a visual person.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 PM
DadsTaxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you guys confirm what I think it does: use of the Paddles is momentary in either D or Ds mode and then returns to that program !!! I would imagine that in Manual Mode, using the Paddles is the same as using the console shifter: it wouls tay in the gear selected unless the user hits the Paddles or the shifter to change the gear?? Right?
Found this in page 5-14 of the 2010 Manual:

When you pull the paddle shifter while in the D (Drive) position, the transmission will shift to the upper or lower range temporarily. The trans- mission will automatically return to the D (Drive) position after a short period of time. If you want to return to the D (Drive) position manually, pull and hold the paddle shifter for about 1.5 sec- onds.

Unfortunately I can't verify this as I don't have the paddle shifters, but looking to add them.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 PM
TinsleyC

As for being pre-wired or not, I am only going on what folks say in the forums. Some have said they've looked and they are not, others have gone as far as saying that all are, or at least those with at least the Premium package. I would bet that if you're driving a Journey / Premium you are pre-wired. Maybe even so on just a plain Journey.

I can confirm the action of the paddles. When driving in D)rive, if you pull the left paddle, it will downshift and a numbered gear will display on the dashboard. If the tranny is in 7th (as it would be going 45 MPH or so on a flat road), it will drop to 5th gear. If you are in any other gear, it will drop one gear (unless the gear drop will result in a redline condition). This is all the same behavior as when pulling the stick back once while in DS mode.

When driving in D)rive, if you are driving steadily and not accelerating and you pull the right paddle to upshift, the gear you are in will display on the dash. For example, you're going 45 MPH on a flat road and you pull the right paddle, 7 will appear on the dash. However, if you are accelerating in D and pull the right shifter, it may upshift to the next higher gear if you're at a high enough RPM to do so. The number of the new gear will show on the dash, and it'll remain in that gear until you either shift up again, downshift with the left paddle, slow down enough for it to downshift automatically (still showing the numbered gear), or you drive steadily and it will revert back to D)rive.

In both cases, after the car "settles down" and you maintain a steady speed, the car will revert back to D)rive mode. This is different from using the stick shifter, where once you shift in DS mode, it remains in a numbered gear.

If you are in DS mode and you use the paddles, it will go into a numbered gear and will remain in a numbered gear until you shift the shifter to D)rive.

Likewise, if you are in DS mode and have already changed to a numbered gear with the shifter, using the paddles will shift gears but it will remain in a numbered gear and will not revert to D)rive.

Finally, if you are in D)rive and use the paddles and are now in a numbered gear, and before it has a chance to settle down and revert back to D)rive, you pop the shifter to DS mode, it will remain in a numbered gear.

Maybe this is where the guy was confused. But after typing all that I can see why!

In a nutshell, you have it correct.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 07-28-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by DadsTaxi
If you want to return to the D (Drive) position manually, pull and hold the paddle shifter for about 1.5 seconds.

Unfortunately I can't verify this as I don't have the paddle shifters, but looking to add them.
Cool! I have to try that!

I wonder if that means I can pull and hold the left paddle once to downshift and then go back into D mode all in one pull?

Last edited by TinsleyC; 07-28-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 AM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Cool! I have to try that!

I wonder if that means I can pull and hold the left paddle once to downshift and then go back into D mode all in one pull?
^ You will. Also, all G37 Journey sedans come pre-wired, PERIOD....sport, non-sport, navi, non-navi, x, non-x.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 AM
GXXXV X

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is awesome i definitely have to purchase a kit
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Originally Posted by BuzzLY37
is it possible for you to take some pictures when you install? lol im a visual person.
Sure, I'll do my best to take and post some pics of the install. UPS says my parts are going to be delivered this Monday, but it may be a few weeks before I get to install the paddles. Its been so hot here in Louisville this summer, and I'm not lucky enough to own, or know someone with, an airconditioned garage.

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters