Sponsored By:

New G37 Owner! :) - Few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Subway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G37 Owner! :) - Few questions.

Hey guys!

On Friday, something unfortunate happened to my 02 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI. As I was ironically pulling out of a car dealership that was off of the highway, I started getting up to speed and my tranny started slipping, and then all of a sudden I had lost all power. This was the final nail on the coffin!

The next day, I was going to a dealership that had a 2013 Golf R & I saw a nice looking newer GTI at a dealership closer to my house, so I decided to check it out. I wasn't fond of it due to the wolfsburg premium interior package, didn't like the irish vibe it gave me haha. I wondered what other cars this dealership had so I turned around and right at the front of the lot was a gorgeous G37xS. I checked it out & then looked at others cars like A4, C350, 338i, ect. I kept on finding myself back at the G37. I had decided to call it a day and left the dealership and went home. All night, the only thought that could go through my head was that sexy G37 coupe...

That next day, I went up to the dealership at 9AM and purchased myself a 2012 Graphite Shadow G37xS w/ 42K miles on it

With that being said I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you other G owners.

1) I LOVE the luxurious & sporty look of the G37. And may I add I have some slight "tasteful ricer tendencies," however I look on instagram and I see all of these modded G37s and I just think that they ruined it!! So, my question for you guys is what are some tasteful exterior mods to add to the wonderful aesthetics that this car already has?

2) I'm looking to purchase a K&N intake, sway bars and a strut bar within the next few weeks. I'm looking to do cheaper mods first and more expensive mods later such as headers/catback exhaust & maybe in a year or two throw a small turbo on it. What is a good order in which to mod out my car? Feel free to make the list as long as you want, or to let me know what you've done to your car & what order it was done in.

Tl;dr
Bonneville SSEI **** the bed
Saw a G37 at the dealership
Put a ring on her and fell in love for life
Need advice for mods on the car in two aspects..
Exterior: While trying to maintain the sleek, sporty & luxurious look.
Performance: Trying to go from least expensive to most expensive & what order I should do things in. Purchasing a K&N intake, sway bars and a strut bar within the next few weeks.

In advance, thanks for reading my story/rant about obtaining the new love of my life!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
check out the picture threads on this forum to get some ideas...
imo.. all the g needs is a front lip.. wheels and lowered and call it a day..
as far as mods.. depending on what your end result will be should determine the route you want to take..
for example.. I wouldnt bother with a ported mani or intake if you plan on going supercharger... or dump the header ideas if you planned on goin turbo... etc etc..

Last edited by micafd3s; 03-27-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Congrats on finding what seems to be your ideal car, and glad you found us too!
Mica gives good advice^^^
Enjoy that new ride!
The following users liked this post:
micafd3s (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Subway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by micafd3s
check out the picture threads on this forum to get some ideas...
imo.. all the g needs is a front lip.. wheels and lowered and call it a day..
as far as mods.. depending on what your end result will be should determine the route you want to take..
for example.. I wouldnt bother with a ported mani or intake if you plan on going supercharger... or dump the header ideas if you planned on goin turbo... etc etc..
I'll check that section out And that's exactly what I was thinking, getting the windows tinted & car undercoated/rust proofed ect on Wednesday, probably going to tint head lights & maybe tail lights, then add the lip and maybe a few other small tweaks.

In terms of performance, Supercharger/Turbo is the end goal in a few years, I'm just trying to do what I can with it being naturally aspirated
Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by blnewt
Congrats on finding what seems to be your ideal car, and glad you found us too!
Mica gives good advice^^^
Enjoy that new ride!
Indeed I did! Thanks man
Old 03-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Subway
getting the windows tinted & car undercoated/rust proofed ect on Wednesday
As you claimed elsewhere, you live in Rochester, NY, so in all likelihood you're heading out to the Tint Shop on West Henrietta road. They do good work, IMO.

However, if your car is registered here in New York (highly likely), then know that the tint you're having installed today will cause you to fail next year's NYS Inspection. As of Jan 1, 2017, Inspection Stations in NY are required to test car windows for light throughput which is out-of-spec. Since the glass in our cars are tinted at 75% from the factory, and New York tint laws have a minimum throughput of 70%... Too bad for you, son.

For your car, this constraint applies to the windshield, and all four pieces of glass on the sides. The rear window doesn't matter for some reason. Neither do the back-door glass on SUV's and cars that pretend to be SUV's. Slather black paint over the rear window, if you're so inclined. Stupid law.

Well, heads-up, Subway. And welcome to the forum.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Plethora of information on the site. If you plan on going FI don't waste your time with bolt-ons. You have the right idea with suspension and handling upgrades as you mentioned.

As a 7AT you will want to build that transmission if FI is a serious consideration. Level 10 located below you in NJ seems to be the best. Take it in stages and know what you want from the car before pulling the trigger on anything.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Great choice and congrats on your new car!

Some tasteful aesthetics that aren't too ricey, from least expensive to most, debadging and leaving just the Infiniti logo (If that's your thing), custom exhaust tips, roof spoiler, slight drop with springs (or if you wanna go big coilovers), autoxskits v1 & v2 diffuser (V2 is a lil aggressive though), front lip, ipl spoiler, ipl sideskirts, then if you are going all out, carbon fiber parts/wrapping your car. You may need a SPC camber kit depending on how much you drop your car if you care about even tirewear.
My list of mods (in order)
-debadge rear except logo
-custom axleback w/o mufflers
-FI resonated test pipes (I deeply regret this setup with no mufflers)
-Stillen Gen3 intakes (bought used on forum)
-245 Ventus V12 fronts, 285 Michelin PSS rear
-V1 carbon fiber diffuser (bought used on forum)
Now I'm deciding on whether I should drop it or port my manifold and get an ecutek tune. All in all my car looks very stock, except that it is obnoxiously loud and my neighbors hate me haha