What's the deal with these coils?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What's the deal with these coils?

So someone I know is offering me some Tein Type Flex coils with only 10k miles for $600. I looked em up and these go for $1900. Do you guys know about them? Are these solid? I'd expect them to be for that price.. Are these very performance oriented like I've heard, and as a result, is ride quality poor? Can they go low? (couldn't find height range on product listings) All in all, would $600 for these be a steal?

Here they are
https://www.stillen.com/tein-type-fl...p92-6uas4.html

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Tein has made it confusing, there's the Type Flex, which are EDFC compatible, and like the link shows, they are much higher cost. Then there's the Flex Z coilovers which are a much cheaper setup, basically an adjustable version of the Basis Z coils, and these can be found new for around $800. TEIN Flex Z Coilovers Infiniti G37 Coupe/Sedan (2008-2014) VSP92-C1AS3
The flex Zs have softer spring rates, and are more of a daily driver set.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Tein has made it confusing, there's the Type Flex, which are EDFC compatible, and like the link shows, they are much higher cost. Then there's the Flex Z coilovers which are a much cheaper setup, basically an adjustable version of the Basis Z coils, and these can be found new for around $800. TEIN Flex Z Coilovers Infiniti G37 Coupe/Sedan (2008-2014) VSP92-C1AS3
The flex Zs have softer spring rates, and are more of a daily driver set.
Correct. The ones he has are the type flex. I'm sure the flex z are more geared towards daily driving but are you saying the type flex would be poor in that aspect? The listing says they are a good mix of both performance and comfort, but they might just be saying that. All in all, are they worth their high retail price? Is $600 for them a steal?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Used coilovers can be a great deal or can be a problem depending on how reliable the seller is. The Type Flex have stiffer spring rates so the ride, even at the softer settings, will still be quite firm but that's the sacrifice you have to make for a performance oriented setup. If you want to maintain your softer OEM ride the lower spring rates on the Flex Z would be a better choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
akiradavis (02-24-2017), HotSawce (02-19-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:45 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Looked into this closely. Tein has cut production costs on the Flex Z by not allowing them to be rebuildable. They are the same design as the Flex minus that. On top, they made some changes that make it more "street drivable" on compression rebound.

I also have seen that the Flex are not the better than the Z on the street due to not having that rebound modification. If track - flex. Street driving, do the Z. I will be doing the Flex Z whenever I get around to it.

Good luck!