Sponsored By:

Oil change every 3 months or 3k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:08 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil change every 3 months or 3k miles?

Do you guys change your Oil every 3 months or 3k miles? i don't really drive my g37 and it passed 3 months already but i'm thinking to wait until 3k miles to do the oil change. Is it ok or the warranty will void? Do you guys think the dealer will blame on that if i need some warranty work done?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2010, 10:25 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't take this personally, but....RTFM
Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G37SBS
Do you guys change your Oil every 3 months or 3k miles? i don't really drive my g37 and it passed 3 months already but i'm thinking to wait until 3k miles to do the oil change. Is it ok or the warranty will void? Do you guys think the dealer will blame on that if i need some warranty work done?

Thanks
Change oil/oil filter per the your owner's manual schedule 1 or 2 and you will be fine....
SCHEDULE 1 (Every 3,750 miles or
3 months, whichever comes first)
Schedule 1 features the same 3,750-mile
service intervals as Premium Maintenance;
however, with Schedule 1 fewer maintenance
items are regularly checked or replaced than
with the Premium Maintenance schedule. Use
Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your vehicle
under any of these conditions:
• Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in
normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in
freezing temperatures
• Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or lowspeed
driving for long distances
• Driving in dusty conditions or on rough,
muddy, or salt-spread roads
• Towing a trailer, or using a camper
or car-top carrier
SCHEDULE 2 (Every 7,500 miles or 6
months, whichever comes first)
Schedule 2 features 7,500-mile
service intervals; with Schedule 2
fewer maintenance items are regularly
checked or replaced than with
Schedule 1.
Generally, Schedule 2 applies only to
highway driving in temperate
conditions. Use Schedule 2 only if you
primarily operate your vehicle under
conditions other than those listed in
Schedule 1.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:52 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo
Change oil/oil filter per the your owner's manual schedule 1 or 2 and you will be fine....
SCHEDULE 1 (Every 3,750 miles or
3 months, whichever comes first)
Schedule 1 features the same 3,750-mile
service intervals as Premium Maintenance;
however, with Schedule 1 fewer maintenance
items are regularly checked or replaced than
with the Premium Maintenance schedule. Use
Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your vehicle
under any of these conditions:
• Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in
normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in
freezing temperatures
• Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or lowspeed
driving for long distances
• Driving in dusty conditions or on rough,
muddy, or salt-spread roads
• Towing a trailer, or using a camper
or car-top carrier
SCHEDULE 2 (Every 7,500 miles or 6
months, whichever comes first)
Schedule 2 features 7,500-mile
service intervals; with Schedule 2
fewer maintenance items are regularly
checked or replaced than with
Schedule 1.
A lot of people, regardless of the brand car they drive, misinterpret the difference between Schedule 1 (severe conditions) and Schedule 2 (normal conditions).

The key verbage which would apply to Schedule 1 is :
" Use Schedule 1 if you PRIMARILY operate your vehicle under any of these conditions.
"
Most vehicles, on the road, operate under conditions noted under Schedule 1, but quite a few are not operated PRIMARILY under these conditions.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
gooddeal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just change mine in every 5 months when I put about 3k miles.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM
BlkCoupe

You didn't mention if you would be doing it yourself or having it done. If you are a do it yourselfer the most important thing to do to maintain your warranty is keep receipts of your oil and filter purchase and make note of the mileage. If something goes wrong with the engine and infiniti suspects it's oil related they will want proof that you did the recommended oil changes. (example: the G35 revup engine oil consumption issue. Most dealers requested proof of oil changes by DIYers before replacing OC engines!)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 AM
briann510

I dont care how "special" Infiniti or owners manual says these engines are, I use synthetic oil and will go 6K min between oil changes. If you dont believe your oil can go this long then have an oil sample checked and the results will show you the same thing. I dont believe the crock of crap I have to use Nissan ester oil either...
BUT
Some people like peace of mind to sleep at night that they follow owners manual to a T.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
2009G37

"I dont care how "special" Infiniti or owners manual says these engines are, I use synthetic oil and will go 6K min between oil changes. If you dont believe your oil can go this long then have an oil sample checked and the results will show you the same thing. I dont believe the crock of crap I have to use Nissan ester oil either...
BUT
Some people like peace of mind to sleep at night that they follow owners manual to a T."

Well I don't think it's just that. I think many are concerned that if they don't follow what's in the manual, if they ever need warranty work, they're afraid it will be a point of contention. But otherwise, yes, I agree that going with an oil analysis is probably the best way. That way, you're not guess, you really are seeing what the oil is doing, and how it's holding up. There's a lot of controversy over that as well though. Some ppl think oil is oil, others think Mobil 1 is the best, others think Mobil 1 is horrible for our engines because we run hot and the oil gets sheared. I've read the threads...still don't know what to think.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
bamlorghini

Is it bad to change the oil every 3k miles?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by bamlorghini
Is it bad to change the oil every 3k miles?
No, but most of today's car's are designed to go further on a new oil/filter change. Mostly it;s the filter that gets dirty not much happens to the oil.

Make a schedule "for oil/filter change" what makes you comfortable based on your peace of mind , knowledge and just keep it.

Infiniti recommends oil/filter change every 3 months or 3750 miles which ever comes first.

Oil/Filter change is cheap insurance and the most important maintenance on any car.
I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil and change oil/filter every 5k miles or 6 months and I have over 250 miles combined on my Infiniti's and have had no issue.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM
briann510

Originally Posted by 2009G37
There's a lot of controversy over that as well though. Some ppl think oil is oil, others think Mobil 1 is the best, others think Mobil 1 is horrible for our engines because we run hot and the oil gets sheared. I've read the threads...still don't know what to think.
I run Castrol Edge in my 925 hp blown Z06. I used to run Mobil 1 until results came back from the lab and I never ran it again. Castrol Edge has been holding up fine on this very hard drivin car in with some pretty harsh oil temps at times.

Infinity cant deny warranty engine work because of what oil you used, what brand of oil filter used or how often they think you didnt change it. If they wanted to remain concrete on doing warranty work only under exactly what manual states service intervals are or oil brand to be used then they would state in writing all service could only be performed at an Infiniti dealer.
I threatened court action with Audi once for trying that and it never went to court and I got a new engine under warranty. Audi stated they felt oil wasnt changed often enough and factory filter wasnt used. You can sue them if they try to do that.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by briann510
I run Castrol Edge in my 925 hp blown Z06. I used to run Mobil 1 until results came back from the lab and I never ran it again. Castrol Edge has been holding up fine on this very hard drivin car in with some pretty harsh oil temps at times.

Infinity cant deny warranty engine work because of what oil you used, what brand of oil filter used or how often they think you didnt change it. If they wanted to remain concrete on doing warranty work only under exactly what manual states service intervals are or oil brand to be used then they would state in writing all service could only be performed at an Infiniti dealer.
I threatened court action with Audi once for trying that and it never went to court and I got a new engine under warranty. Audi stated they felt oil wasnt changed often enough and factory filter wasnt used. You can sue them if they try to do that.

You are right but what if you do all your oil change at the infiniti dealership? they have all your oil change records..
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 AM
terfer

I usually go by miles unless time exceeds a year
Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I change my oil every 5,000 miles. I've run it to 7,500 before on my first oil change with Redline 5W30. I use a K&N filter along with it. That whole "3,000 miles interval or 3 months" thing is ridiculous. Just a gimmick for dealers to make $$$. Do a UOA after 5,000 miles and base your intervals there on out.