D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Installing window trim vinyl wrap 07+ G Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by bat6wc
thanks for the writeup newt. I purchased some vinyl and Im going to give it a shot, and if not, the pros will do it. Im also doing the top and bottom chrome strips on the oem midnight grill.
Look forward to pics, I've got faith in you bro
The following users liked this post:
drizzy315 (09-27-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM
xceebeex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried to plasti-dip the trim pieces? Seems like it would be less work to me and hold up just as well if done right.

I know there are a lot of people who don't like plasti-dip on wheels and whatnot, but this seems like a good application for plasti-dip.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by xceebeex
Has anyone tried to plasti-dip the trim pieces? Seems like it would be less work to me and hold up just as well if done right.

I know there are a lot of people who don't like plasti-dip on wheels and whatnot, but this seems like a good application for plasti-dip.
My DIY takes about an hour and will match the factory side vinyl pillars perfectly. You'll have to mask off the car prior to spraying the PDip and then the time to spray 4-5 coats. Probably take about twice the time if you dip it. It won't look that good since it's not a gloss/smooth texture, a bit out of place on a $40k car IMO. It has been done, might google "plastidip trim G37" and see what comes up
Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM
xceebeex

Originally Posted by blnewt
My DIY takes about an hour and will match the factory side vinyl pillars perfectly. You'll have to mask off the car prior to spraying the PDip and then the time to spray 4-5 coats. Probably take about twice the time if you dip it. It won't look that good since it's not a gloss/smooth texture, a bit out of place on a $40k car IMO. It has been done, might google "plastidip trim G37" and see what comes up
Yea I guess I am not sure what it would end up looking like, but outlining and trimming the vinyl seems like it would take a while, but maybe I am wrong.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by xceebeex
Yea I guess I am not sure what it would end up looking like, but outlining and trimming the vinyl seems like it would take a while, but maybe I am wrong.
That is the main time drain, getting all the measurements on the sheet and cutting it out, the actual application goes pretty quick, and like I said it's the same as your gloss black door pillars so you'll get a perfect match
Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM
MyBoyBlue

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Decent writeup blnewt.

For cleaning I would run to Home Depot or Lowes and grab a small can of Denatured Alcohol. Grab a clean and dry towel. Spray it all down including the areas around the trim. The alcohol will clean everything well and it dries fast which will help with the adhesive. If you use anything else and it doesn't dry completely it will ruin the adhesive on the vinyl and that piece is ruined.
When removing the backing off the vinyl be careful where you do this. There is a lot of static between the vinyl and the backing. When you do this, the static will pull in any dirt/dust that is in the air. This is the reason to clean all around the trim as well as the trim itself. When laying it down there is a good chance the vinyl will touch the paint/windows so they need to be clean.

A credit card isn't the best idea. It is sharp and may rip the vinyl. Maybe I should start selling my used squeegees instead of throwing them out.

If the vinyl folds in on itself or if it wrinkles don't panic. Simply pull the vinyl off the vehicle to that point, heat it up, and watch it smooth out ... just don't stretch it unless you need to.
If there are bubbles just softly place your thumb on it and feel it vanish like magic. If its a big bubble (not much of an issue with trim) then divide and concur (thumb magic) unless you can pull the vinyl back to that point and get the air out.

I'm here if you have any other questions.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by MyBoyBlue
Decent writeup blnewt.

For cleaning I would run to Home Depot or Lowes and grab a small can of Denatured Alcohol. Grab a clean and dry towel. Spray it all down including the areas around the trim. The alcohol will clean everything well and it dries fast which will help with the adhesive. If you use anything else and it doesn't dry completely it will ruin the adhesive on the vinyl and that piece is ruined.
When removing the backing off the vinyl be careful where you do this. There is a lot of static between the vinyl and the backing. When you do this, the static will pull in any dirt/dust that is in the air. This is the reason to clean all around the trim as well as the trim itself. When laying it down there is a good chance the vinyl will touch the paint/windows so they need to be clean.

A credit card isn't the best idea. It is sharp and may rip the vinyl. Maybe I should start selling my used squeegees instead of throwing them out.

If the vinyl folds in on itself or if it wrinkles don't panic. Simply pull the vinyl off the vehicle to that point, heat it up, and watch it smooth out ... just don't stretch it unless you need to.
If there are bubbles just softly place your thumb on it and feel it vanish like magic. If its a big bubble (not much of an issue with trim) then divide and concur (thumb magic) unless you can pull the vinyl back to that point and get the air out.

I'm here if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the tips, I typically use the regular rubbing alcohol for cleaning, might have to look into the denatured product since I use it quite a bit, I just edited my DIY to include that, thanks! As far as a credit card, I don't use them, in my DIY I stated those fake cards you get in the mail made out of a flimsy plastic, those see thru fake American Express cards have worked very well for me, almost the same consistency as the wrap squeegies. Appreciated your bumper wrapping tips in your car thread, it's definitely something I want to try down the road
It's nice to have a guy in the industry that can give us the straight scoop

Last edited by blnewt; 07-23-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 PM
bjmsam
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent write-up. I just spent a few hours doing this to my 2010 G37xS sedan and it turned out great!

blnewt (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by bjmsam
Excellent write-up. I just spent a few hours doing this to my 2010 G37xS sedan and it turned out great!
Glad to see it went well, looks like you did a nice job It's amazing how $20 worth of vinyl can really change the look of your G
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
fivepointgo

subbed for later
Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM
bjmsam
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zuku26
subbing to this
Originally Posted by R3diK3r0u5
subscribed for future usage
Originally Posted by fivepointgo
subbed for later
Just a friendly reminder that the FAQ describes how to subscribe to a thread without posting in it:

To subscribe to a thread, click the 'Thread Tools' link at the top of the list of posts then click 'Subscribe to Thread'. You can then choose the subscription mode that you wish to use for that thread.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmsam
Just a friendly reminder that the FAQ describes how to subscribe to a thread without posting in it:
lol someone read the owner's manual
Old 09-27-2013, 04:33 PM
drizzy315
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey this is a good one but question on your instructions looks like you pre-cut? isnt easier do it like the vide jus throw vinyl over the borders and then cut?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by drizzy315
hey this is a good one but question on your instructions looks like you pre-cut? isnt easier do it like the vide jus throw vinyl over the borders and then cut?
You'll need about 3x the vinyl that way, w/ my DIY all you need is a 1ft. x 5 ft. piece, the rolls are sold in 5 ft widths so it's really economical. Laying out the cuts is a bit time consuming but since I did all the measurements the hard part is over, lol.
drizzy315 (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:29 PM
drizzy315
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ahhhhhhh makes sense! is it expensive? can i find it locally at a home depot or lowes maybe?

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing window trim vinyl wrap 07+ G Sedans