D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Clean your Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:07 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Oh for crying out loud.
How people take a simple thing and turn it into a life or death struggle.

It's not rocket science folks.
Take it off, gently push it open ad wipe it clean.
It's really NBD.

Lose a finger?
LOLZ
The following users liked this post:
m3clubracer (09-16-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 12:33 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
Oh for crying out loud.

It's really NBD.

Lose a finger?
LOLZ
Right on bud! LOL
Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM
ukmastermind
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh for crying out loud.

It's really NBD.

Lose a finger?
LOLZ
It's just an FYI.

Previous posts are talking about using a stick or having someone floor the pedal in the "on" position. If either slips and your finger is in the path of the throttle butterfly, your finger will be in the way.

Ford electronic throttle body cleaning - Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

From the referenced site:
WARNING: Do not do this while the throttle body is on the vehicle. An electronic throttle body is built with a powerful motor and a gear reduction set that’s strong enough to cut off your fingers. If you force the throttle plate open while the unit is on the vehicle, it will try to close and may cause injury.

"LOLZ"
Old 09-13-2016, 01:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Oh for crying out loud.

It's really NBD.

Lose a finger?
LOLZ
Doing an oil change is a relatively simple process. Jack the car, drain old oil, replace filter, refill, done, right? Yet, oil plugs get over tightened or cross threaded (even when a professional does it), double gasketed filters, and over/underfilled oil level. Sometimes incorrect jacking points are used and body damage results. If there's a way to screw something up, someone will find a way.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:18 AM
ewuzh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the DIY write up. Just did this successfully yesterday. At 73k miles the inside of the TBs were absolutely filthy with black gunk. The primary reason I did this was because the engine RPMs were constantly dipping at idle. It was getting so bad the engine would almost completely cut out at stoplights.

Happy to say after cleaning the TBs and doing an both an ECU reset + idle air relearning procedure, I can report that the car (6MT sedan) now idles rock solid at ~650rpm. No engine check lights or anything.

- No, I did not disconnect the battery.
- No, I did not remove any hoses nor electrical harnesses going into the TB.
- Yes, I did move the butterfly valves. I gently nudged them open in order to spray TB cleaner and wipe the seam between the valve and the TB housing. For an effective cleaning, you have to move the valve. Pretty much no way around it. This is where most of the air passes through when the valve is at idle/closed position.

FYI I replaced both o-ring throttle body gaskets (part number is 16175JK21A) even though they still looked fine upon removal. I also tightened the throttle body bolts in X-pattern to seat it properly. An improper seal here may result in idle surging and/or lean ignition.

(Edit) Pic before cleaning:

Last edited by ewuzh; 10-10-2016 at 12:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bjmsam (01-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2016, 03:04 PM
bryang37

Just cleaned mine... thanks DIY!

So, just installed a new K&N CAI on my 2012 Coupe and decided I needed to clean my TB's at the same time. All went exactly to plan thanks to this nice DIY. I've had the car since 12/2015.. bought it with 30k miles, has 38.5k now. TB's were a little dirty but most noticeable is that the throttle feels a bit smoother. I don't think mine were a problem yet but likely that idle issues were coming. I reset the ECU (thanks to another DYI on this site) and car seems to be pulling VERY strong.

Pass side before

Pass side after

Driver's side before

K&N Cold Air Intake Install

Last edited by bryang37; 10-11-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Did this today. Had a moderate amount of oily junk at 22k miles.
Did not disconnect the battery. removed the intake hoses and the TB but did not disconnect any other hoses.
Pushed open the butterfly valve with my finger and cleaned it from both sides.
No idle relearn procedure was done and the car idles around 600rpm. Absolutely no issues faced, simple diy and a must do especially on the higher mileage cars
Old 11-18-2016, 11:49 PM
iStayOG37s

Cleaning throttle body

Hey everyone! I just bought a 2008g37s and I am having issues with the car starting up and shuts off right away. After 5 attempts to start the car the sixth time I gave the car a little gas and the car started right up. Will cleaning the the throttle body also help with this problem?
Old 11-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Hiryuu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just did this yesterday at 51k miles - the TBs were extremely gunked up and this made a huge difference in throttle response.

Appreciate the write up!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 PM
el_donks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Quick question...

I recently cleaned my throttle bodies and couldn't help but notice the spring sound coming from both the Left and Right TB, when moving them around or tapping on them. Is the spring noise/rattle supposed to be audible or am I dealing with something that needs to be addressed?
Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Chandlerdoom

Cleaned mine today, no battery disconnect and moved butterfly to clean. On initial start up it has a quick rpm jump (higher than normal) and settled back down without issue. Second start was normal.

Hopefully this fixes my start and die problem
Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Can someone confirm if the hose is push in all the way the next time you do a throttle body clean or remove the engine cover? if not, can you take pic of how yours is like?

it is the hose that goes from the back of the engine to the passenger side throttle.

thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Clean your Throttle Bodies-hose-throttle.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Anyone by any chance have a link where to buy new o-rings for the throttle body? I plan on doing this DIY this week and would like to change my current o-rings but can't seem to find them anywhere and would really like to refrain from going to the dealer for a set.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
I actually found the part number and part on a vendor website of ours. For those who had the same question as me the part # 16175-JK21A and you can purchase it off the czp website!

https://conceptzperformance.com/
Old 04-19-2017, 11:03 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Same price on ebay (261968838143), free shipping. Don't forget, you need 2.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your Throttle Bodies