Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Track Day Brake Pad Swap Question. Thanks for your help =)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:08 PM
ems657

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Track Day Brake Pad Swap Question. Thanks for your help =)

Hey guys,

How's going? Like most of you guys, I am a proud owner of G37. It’s a 2012 RWD Journey sedan.

Long story short : On the track day, I plan to swap just the front brake pads (Carbontech X8), and keep the rest (rotors + rear pads) the same. Would this impact the brake balance? Also, what about the different pad material left on the front rotors? Will this diminish the brake force?

Thanks much.

>>Long story:

I took the car to the track 4 times this year, and really loved it. Here is the set up
Front:Stoptech street performance pad and slotted rotors
Rear: Same as front
BrakeFluid: ATE type 200
Rims: Stock 18” staggered set up
Tires: Bridgestone RE71R, stock size

On the track, I only push the car about 70%, and those pads hold up really well. However, in 2017, I plan to visit quite a few different tracks.
Ideal set up: Carbontech X8 for front and back, plus dedicated rotors
Truth:This is a lot of work before and after the lapping on the same day. I need tosave energy for the actual lapping + commute
Proposal:Only swap the front pads with Carbontech X8. Keep the rest the same.

Thanks so much, guys =)

Michael
Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
I swap both front and back before I head out to track the G. It takes some time but it allows you to have dedicated track pads when you need them and see how they are consumed vs. eating up your street rear pads.

I would swap both out. Better braking ability with dedicated track pads and you won't be running through your rear street pads. Just my two cents.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:59 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I believe Carbotech makes a street pad that utilizes the same transfer layer as the XP series of pads - you would bed them using the XP pads and then swap over to the street pad. That way, you'd only need one set of rotors. I'm not sure how good the non-sport brakes are for heavy track use but I'd start there.

As for the pads themselves, XP10/12 in the front and XP8/10 in the rear would probably be better. Our cars are heavy, and will heat soak immensely under stock calipers/rotors. You're fine now, but as you get faster you'll brake deeper and introduce more heat into the system where you'll want that overhead, especially on such a critical system on your car.

Last edited by bPChaos; 12-22-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
I believe Carbotech makes a street pad that utilizes the same transfer layer as the XP series of pads - you would bed them using the XP pads and then swap over to the street pad. That way, you'd only need one set of rotors. I'm not sure how good the non-sport brakes are for heavy track use but I'd start there.

As for the pads themselves, XP10/12 in the front and XP10/8 in the rear would probably be better. Our cars are heavy, and will heat soak immensely under stock calipers/rotors. You're fine now, but as you get faster you'll brake deeper and introduce more heat into the system where you'll want that overhead, especially on such a critical system on your car.

Great input. I may utilize the Carbotech street pads now!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:18 PM
LateApex

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I've not tracked my G37 and I won't... because it's an X and the "family" car. But... I've tracked a Miata, Cooper S and M Coupe, all of them, many times... and I've wrenched for a buddy who races (and has the class track record in his class at several tracks) and we've run stock or equivalent pads on the rears, all the time. Granted... All his actual "race" cars were FWD IT/PT class but... even under racing conditions, when he won... Pep Boys pads on the backs did perfectly well. If you're only pushing it as hard as you say you are... I think you're fine. But... my experience is with lighter, or fully prepped cars... My cars... I ran like HPS (I think) on the rears for both street and track.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:03 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by LateApex
I've not tracked my G37 and I won't... because it's an X and the "family" car. But... I've tracked a Miata, Cooper S and M Coupe, all of them, many times... and I've wrenched for a buddy who races (and has the class track record in his class at several tracks) and we've run stock or equivalent pads on the rears, all the time. Granted... All his actual "race" cars were FWD IT/PT class but... even under racing conditions, when he won... Pep Boys pads on the backs did perfectly well. If you're only pushing it as hard as you say you are... I think you're fine. But... my experience is with lighter, or fully prepped cars... My cars... I ran like HPS (I think) on the rears for both street and track.
While that's invariably true, that the rear pads will never see the same sort of stress that the fronts will, you have to keep in mind brake balance as well. Lighter cars can get away with those because they never see the same sort of heat levels that a heavier car will. My calipers are gold now because of heat lol.

Last edited by bPChaos; 12-24-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM
ems657

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you!

Hey guys,

I really appreciate the great advise. You guys have brilliant ideas. G37 is indeed a heavy car. By this summer, I plan to trade in for a Miata to enjoy the light weight. Meanwhile,

1. I looked into having the street pad and race pad from the same company. Stoptech and Hawks only has street (for G37 non-sport), while Carbontech seems to have both. Given I will only keep the car for another 6 month, I will just swap the front pads for my next track day.

2. We talked about the rear pads. I actually had new "rear" OEM pads in Jan-16, and this was down to 10-20% by Aug-16 with 3 track events plus normal (mild) street driving. OEM pads don't really last during repetitive hard braking. I just want to share this with you folks =)

Have a good one to all and thanks again. Any more ideas is still appreciated!