Z1 Front Upper Control Arm (race) followup

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sorry to hear what you guys are going through but it's awesome that this is being brought to light before something truly tragic were to happen.

That's good that you're nearby zero99, maybe they can come up with a fix that will allow you to run these safely at the height you're running.

This reminds me of the SPC camber arm hitting aftermarket sways debacle, so many "enthusiasts" are going to run sways w/ a drop, just like almost 100% of people buying those FCAs are going to lower their car, and many lower than 26.25".

G/L guys.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:54 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Yep. We will see. I talked to them on the phone and emailed them some pics of my setup. We are trying to work out a time I can come in and they can address the issue properly. So that's a good sign. I will keep you guys updated as that unfold.
The following 2 users liked this post by zer099:
blnewt (08-17-2016), jfisher (08-17-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 02:08 PM
zer099
Premier Member

At Z1 now. The AWD cars apparently do sit different when lowered then everyone else. Pretty crazy but apparently true. We went over a bunch of options and it looks like we are leaning at looking at letting them use my car to get an AWD version made. Options are moving the outer hemi mount angle to a complete new joint that can have a better range of motion, or maybe both. No real clear cut answer yet. They are taking measurements and all that right now.

Very polite. Very much wanting to fix this problem. I will give them that they been very much wanting to make sure I am not put out by this or anything and that not only the problem be fixed but also that there are no hard feelings. I told them I was willing to drive back and forth and let them test with my car. End of the day all I want is solid mounting points (I have the race version), to keep the corner balance or get her re-balanced if things need to be changed, and a safe FUCA; and they respect that.
The following 3 users liked this post by zer099:
blnewt (08-24-2016), jfisher (08-25-2016), PNW_IPL (04-23-2020)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks for the update, and also Kudos for your diligence in trying to help them help you. Will benefit many in the long run.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:30 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by zer099
At Z1 now. The AWD cars apparently do sit different when lowered then everyone else. Pretty crazy but apparently true. We went over a bunch of options and it looks like we are leaning at looking at letting them use my car to get an AWD version made. Options are moving the outer hemi mount angle to a complete new joint that can have a better range of motion, or maybe both. No real clear cut answer yet. They are taking measurements and all that right now.

Very polite. Very much wanting to fix this problem. I will give them that they been very much wanting to make sure I am not put out by this or anything and that not only the problem be fixed but also that there are no hard feelings. I told them I was willing to drive back and forth and let them test with my car. End of the day all I want is solid mounting points (I have the race version), to keep the corner balance or get her re-balanced if things need to be changed, and a safe FUCA; and they respect that.
I'm glad to hear that! I have to agree with you. Through all of this the customer service and willingness to help has been awesome. Spencer has really been working with me on these arms. I'm looking forward to the results!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Spencer @z1 is to legit. I have had a couple extreme problems arise with my x also. He has fixed any issues thus far. Subd for the end result
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (04-23-2020)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:35 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Got the new version of these in the other day for testing. Looks like they lengthened the arms by half an inch at the ends and re-positioned the main rod-end to knuckle angle.

The added length to the arms allowed the two arm to chassis rod-ends to be better seated in the CAs. The new angle of the main rod-end to knuckle allows the lower insert to almost perfectly drop into the knuckle and sit in a neutral position when the car is at rest.

For the record again, my car is AWD and has about a 2.5 inch drop in the front. The drop is varied from side to side as my car is corner balanced. On the old arms to have -1.4 degrees of camber up front the rod-ends were adjusted out slightly past the recommended limits and the main rod-end was at maximum angle for the insert when the car was at rest, which resulted in a bent insert (similar to picture on previous page) and the suspension not getting a good travel amount.

Drove 400 miles directly after the install to visit my parents for the holiday: night and day difference in suspension geometry up front now that the tire can actually pivot. The build quality and components are the same as before, which I feel are more then acceptable, and I predict will hold up just fine. The two changes to the engineering however will much better suit cars with, I'm going to guess, more than a 1.5 inch drop and/or is AWD.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (11-27-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:01 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Sounds like they've listened to the feedback and made the correct changes. Did you have to buy the new arms?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:47 AM
zer099
Premier Member

I am inclined to agree. And no, but I am just testing the very not pretty beta models (not that it matters how pretty they are).