Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Midrange drivers that fit stock upper door mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:30 AM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Midrange drivers that fit stock upper door mounts?

Thinking about upgrading the Bose amp /front speakers, but don't want pods / external mounts / reconfigured door cards etc. I'm looking to replace the mids with some top-notch driver, but in the same upper door position. The Bose driver is a 3.5" but I don't know the available depth-probably not a heck of a lot.

Anyone found a 3" or 3.5" driver that both fits and SOUNDS GOOD?? Or that fits with only minor alterations to the mount behind the door card?

Focal 3W2? Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m? Dynaudio? Morel?

From what I've read and heard in people's cars, it seems that the Focal 3W2 is the best driver, I wonder if anyone has tried putting one in a G37 door in pace of the Bose driver? With a DSP crossover it might be made to work... if it fits.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Hdinh94092

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm also thinking about upgrading my front door speakers and would like some info on this too! I want to change the door speaker (woofer) and mids.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Eton, their speakers are so clear. I would have to know the dimensions other than 3 to 3.5 inches.

ETON PRW80; 8cm (4") Mid-range Car Speaker Speakers Loud Speaker Midrange | eBay
Old 12-13-2016, 06:52 PM
milosz
Registered Member

I have ordered a number of drivers - Infinity, Polk, Vifa and Dayton. I will be running some tests on them outside of the car - frequency response, distortion, sensitivity- and then based on those results I will try substituting them into the center dash position (because it is the easiest to get to) - the center dash has the same Bose 3.5 inch mid /high driver as the doors, and if a driver works in the center in terms of sound level, then it should work as a drop-in replacement in the doors. I think the issue is going to be trying to find a driver that has the same sensitivity (but sounds better) as the existing 3.5" drivers so that it can be simply substituted for the Bose driver without changing the overall balance of the sound. At this point I am not planning on replacing the Bose amplifier, or any other drivers, I am just looking for a drop-in replacement for the mids that will improve the sound- if one exists.

I think the 10" drivers in the doors are OK, I don't see how replacing them with 6.5" drivers would improve the sound. They lack deep bass punch, but to get that I added a 12" sealed sub in the trunk with 500 watt (rms) amp to drive it. Those Bose 10" drivers measure quite well except they lack the bottom octaves and have stored energy / group delay issues on the bottom end. The 12" sealed sub I added puts in all the well-textured, solid bottom octave low end I need. The 10 inch door woofers are pretty good from 60~80 Hz and up.

I'll report back on my tests and provide the graphs etc once I finish them up. Unfortunately it's too cold to work in my garage these days, so once the drivers all arrive I may have to wait for spring unless we get a warm spell here in Chicago (and by warm I mean something like 40° F. It's 13° F right now....)

Those Eton PRW80 drivers appear not to be efficient enough to be used as a direct drop-in, their sensitivity spec is 87 dB /1 W / 1 M

If you're going to change the woofers and the mids, you'd likely have to change the amplifiers also, and don't forget the center dash speaker should match the mids in the doors to preserve imaging / staging
Old 12-15-2016, 03:36 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
This site has the adapters you need

PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

I think the biggest Ive seen was 2" or so if you use these brackets
Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM
milosz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
This site has the adapters you need

PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

I think the biggest Ive seen was 2" or so if you use these brackets
I had a look at that site, they only have adapters for 6½" speakers for Infiniti cars, nothing specifically for the 3½" mids

Adapters are pretty easy to make if you know how to use a router.