Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Arrogant

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
So, ported it is. However, what about cutting holes in the false wall and covering the holes with some sort of grill cover, would this help air movement at all? Is it something I should try?
Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Neddy_G37

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldnt, and since things like that can be done after the fact, see what it sounds like first. Then make a judgement call.

Also, for giggles, here is the 5th order bandpass I had in my S-10 many years ago. (8) 12" subs, (2) 5.25, (4) 6.5, (2) 1" tweeters and (2) 3.5 all running off an Orion 225 HCCA competition amp at .25 ohm. Doing the math, it was making 800W of pure clean power. Best meter reading was 148, box would play down to 10hz.
Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-basswaves.jpg   Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-img_0006.jpg   Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-img_0007.jpg   Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-10.jpg   Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-truck.jpg  

Last edited by Neddy_G37; 11-26-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:38 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Neddy_G37
Also, for giggles, here is the 5th order bandpass I had in my S-10 many years ago.
I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say "Holy $h*t!"
Old 11-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Neddy_G37

I like the boom.

That was my competition system. Ran it for a few months then bought a cap and converted to a sealed enclosure in the back window. Never hit as good as the bandpass box. Also sold my Orion amp and went with 2 amps that I was told were better, but that was a lie.

More images for you.
Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-stereo.jpg   Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-truck2.jpg   Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass-amps.jpg  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:14 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Why are you limiting yourself to just JL Audio subs? Unless you get them for 50% off. I'm a diehard fan of SPL/Bass..but man is it a costly hobby. I'd go with sealing off the trunk and firing directly into the cabin.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Neddy_G37

Costly is right, my bed mounted box cost me $2000, plus another $400 for the amp. Took them 2 weeks to finish the install, but he also added neon, carpeted the tonneau cover, etc. SPL competitions were $50 to enter as well. Plus, the cost of a blown speaker, fuses, windshields, etc. Having an SPL vehicle is quite costly. But damn was it fun!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Arrogant

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Why are you limiting yourself to just JL Audio subs? Unless you get them for 50% off. I'm a diehard fan of SPL/Bass..but man is it a costly hobby. I'd go with sealing off the trunk and firing directly into the cabin.
I wanted to seal it off but given the opinions of guys on here and the fact I will get rid of this in a year or so it was not worth the cost. Really because the place I was working with sold JL, RF, and Hertz. Besides that I did get the subs at least for 50% off. The 13W3's are on the JL website for 330 each, I got two of them for that price. I got the 1000W mono amp for 400, so the prices really were incredible. Also this is only the second time in my life I have ever had subs, and I am 34. I threw some 10" type r's into my gf's civic about 3 years ago but that was it (just a box in the trunk, nothing nice at all). I think some of it was me lusting over JL stuff in 1996 when I could not afford it, now that I can, I just want to try it. This is the first car I am doing anything to in my life and as I said I am 34. Never had a decent car before, never put rims, subs, tints, anything on a car. I will probably only have this car until next December (in all likelihood I will be moving to NYC and will not own a car unless I store it at parents in Long Island), but I am going to have fun for the next year.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Neddy_G37

Arrogant, you suck! Because of this conversation, it brought back all the memories I had of competing. From design, integration, creativity, and wiring all the way to component selection. Ever since this topic, I have been researching what others have done with these cars and, quite honestly, I have seen -0- creativity. Either its mounted on the side of the trunk, has speakers facing the trunk, or facing the back seat. I have yet to see anything intricate, involved, or complex. SO, I am working on a setup for my car. At first I thought about ripping the rear seat out, running 6 15s and 3 amps. However, thieves would see that and I would get ripped off in a hurry. So I am now considering a 6th order bandpass using a single 12" 2ohm DVC sub. I will be using plexiglass, neon, fans, distribution block, and vinyl.

And its all YOUR fault.

Thank you for changing my thoughts from drag racing back to car audio!

Bass head 4 life!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:56 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Can I vote for you to remove your entire rear seat and rear deck and wall off the vehicle? . For giggles as well lol one of my old setup.

Name:  RearTrunk2.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  52.3 KB

Now I my thoughts have changed like Neddy too..I hate you. <3 bass.

What type of music are you listening to?
The following users liked this post:
Neddy_G37 (11-28-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Neddy_G37

Me? Oh I have specific bass music I listen to, Bass Boy, Bass 305, Techmaster PEB, Bass Outlaws, Dynamix, etc. Typically I listen to R&B and Country. But with a system like I am designing, you gotta go to the hard stuff.

If theft wasnt an issue, believe it, I would have 6 15s where the seat goes, hidden under mesh panels, and it would be a windshield breaker! But, since I drive a truck all day and the car is unprotected in a back parking lot, need to keep it safe, hidden, and discrete.

Arrogant, congrats on choosing to modify your stereo system, we all are quite happy you are. I cant wait to see what yours ends up looking like when all is said and done.

Quaker, that looks like a bandpass box. 5th order? What was it tuned to? Based on that port size, I am gonna say about 26hz...
Old 11-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Arrogant

Ha, you're welcome, I guess, it can be expensive. Mine will not be all that exciting, just two 13 inch subs rear firing in a ported box with the 1000 watt amp mounted off to the side and probably covered with trim in factory carpet, still deciding whether to plexiglass the amp and have led's under there. You are right though not too many exciting installs, believe me I searched.

What I really need to figure out is where to mount the bass **** in a 12 sedan. I can't find the perfect place, thinking about just mounting it under where the trunk release button is. Anyone have any good idea for the bass ****?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Neddy_G37

To go fully stealth, I would suggest where the cigarette lighter goes, in front of the shifter. Have that taken out, put the **** in its place, perfectly hidden. Unless your not using the one in the center console, it could go there as well.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Arrogant

Requested they install the bass **** in the cigarette lighter, they said it should not be a problem.

Also, decided to get the viper smart start remote start installed, since my office is massive with 10,000 people in it and you park far as hell away just using dball2 with 3x would not work. Can't wait to be able to start my car from my desk this winter, going to be great.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Neddy_G37

so you take the car in tomorrow huh? How long for the install? Make sure you post pics once you get it home!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Arrogant

Tomorrow morning I drop it off and it should be ready weds night. That might change as I requested a few additional things today including remote start.

I will man, I just want some bass in the car, I haven't even had the bose sub in for about two weeks.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing custom trunk solution, Maximum bass