Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 10:29 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagnala
Hi All,

First i wanted to thank you all for the great help. This thread has really made my life easier. I'm about 50% of the way done with the rework but it’s starting to look good so i thought i would share. I didn’t like switching between the screen on the nexus so i'm currently installing a small screen at the bottom of my console, either a 5 in (shown in the pic) or a 4.3 in. Also routed 2 usb connector to the front panel for easy access.

Has anyone moved the original display screen to another location as above poster? and if so, how difficult is that ?extending ribbon cables etc, but any chance someone out there sells pre -assembled ribbon cables? long shot, but worth asking...
Old 05-16-2020, 10:48 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sPhoton
Has anyone moved the original display screen to another location...
Ok, you piqued my curiosity: where would you want to put the display?

Relocating the existing display should be relatively easy. You would have to splice new wires to extend the existing harness. There are only eleven (11) wires. Easy.

The only limitation would be the GVIF cable which is 30" in length:

GVIF Display Cable
I'm sure there are connectors where you could connect two (or more) cables together. I'm not sure splicing that cable would be a good idea.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-16-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:22 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

It seems that the main intent was to consolidate all functions into one screen...and that's the crux of this mod, for many anyway; I'm however , not against two screens , I actually like blinky things lol...so, in my previous 09 g37 w/o nav, I had a 6 inch Garmin in the tray area and had modified with some abs plastic to add contour molding , never oem quality but looked good, especially after vinyl wrapped to match center console etc...so , I'm thinking that same area and remove the lower trim piece and place it there...still have your back up cam and other settings and then one can concentrate on just optimizing the tablet to fast charge and any other gadgets , but no constraints on setting up the OEM display and all of the other issues that arise with that combo....soooo, yeah, saw that post from some years ago and the poster is no longer active , but that's a worthwhile consideration ....and if it really is somewhat simple to extend the ribbons , I'm guessing some sodering , then this route may just be a good 2nd option for many, including me...so tell me how to extend the ribbons ?the other wires seem straightforward , like wiring speakers etc , but the ribbons ...I have no clue....
Old 05-16-2020, 08:13 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
...so tell me how to extend the ribbons ?the other wires seem straightforward , like wiring speakers etc , but the ribbons ...I have no clue....
I'm right up there with you. I have no objections to dual screens. However, this project would require two skills I absolutely do not have: soldering and patience.

That said, the only true "ribbon" cable is between the two switch assemblies (dial one and clock panel). Nothing to do with the display. As for the wires, it would take anyone with soldering skills less than 30-minutes to extend the loom. The only hiccup might be the GVIF cable, but that might have enough slack to work with.

I just wish there were more options for integration and such. Don't get me wrong, I'm "content" with OEM (for as much as I drive), but there's always a desire for updating. I even considered that Tesla knockoff thing but I have concerns about that thing.

Be interesting to see how this thread evolves...

Old 05-16-2020, 10:15 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I'm right up there with you. I have no objections to dual screens. However, this project would require two skills I absolutely do not have: soldering and patience.

That said, the only true "ribbon" cable is between the two switch assemblies (dial one and clock panel). Nothing to do with the display. As for the wires, it would take anyone with soldering skills less than 30-minutes to extend the loom. The only hiccup might be the GVIF cable, but that might have enough slack to work with.

I just wish there were more options for integration and such. Don't get me wrong, I'm "content" with OEM (for as much as I drive), but there's always a desire for updating. I even considered that Tesla knockoff thing but I have concerns about that thing.

Be interesting to see how this thread evolves...
Lol...yes I'm minimally modded...not for lack of patience mind you...just too ocd and rarely does something work out sufficiently right , so I used to leave mods alone, but time and age wins ...yeah , I'm content with set up , but I like the idea of more options from a tablet ...so yes , those would the the 2 to address ...I did some soldering way back but nothing too technical so maybe at some point if nothing pops up ...well..will see I guess ...there is ton of info on this thread on schem so will re read ...war and peace ....a few times again and see what nuggets were left there...but hey, if a braver soul wants to step up...please do...I don't mind following in sometimes lol...
Yes the Tesla or grom are interesting ....but I only drive weekends mostly now so not sure a worthwhile investment and the fact that some glitches still exist , at least in Tesla installs, so not my current route either
Old 05-17-2020, 07:54 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone moved the original display screen to another location as above poster? and if so, how difficult is that ?extending ribbon cables etc, but any chance someone out there sells pre -assembled ribbon cables? long shot, but worth asking...
I've contemplated moving the stock screen into the sunglass holder. I have the wire to make the run and all but havent gotten around to.

Last edited by puff2ice; 05-17-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

..Would you mind taking pics of the wires and any tips on how you ran the extra lenght ,the ribbon in particular...also, does that mean your sunglass holder will be down the whole time? Or do you plan on adding it flat and when it drops down somehow see screen...that would be a cool set up...