Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I may have found a solution to our problem. The cable adapter is called dockBoss, check out their site >>> dockBoss Audio Input Adapter for iPod, iPhone, and iPad Docking Stations or Cables

What do you think?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

I contacted CableJive about this cable and they indicated that it is compatible so I just placed an order for one. Hoping this works...

Here's there response:
Thank you for your interest in our products. We have not heard of any compatibility issues between the dockBoss and Infinity systems yet, so they should work together just fine.

Regardless, if you order anything from us and it does not work with your specific system, we would be happy to accept it back for a refund. You can return anything you order from us within 60-days of the original date of purchase if it doesn't work as you had hoped it would. If you do order from us, please let us know your results either way. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Zack
CableJive
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by tony_m_777
I think I may have found a solution to our problem. The cable adapter is called dockBoss, check out their site >>> dockBoss Audio Input Adapter for iPod, iPhone, and iPad Docking Stations or Cables

What do you think?
forgive my ignorance, but where does that plug into the car?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
tony_m_777
Registered Member

Hey Sniper27,

You will take your iPod cable, plug one end into the USB port in the car's console, and the other end will attach to this device.

So +

which the headphone end will plug into your device, which in this case is an Android phone.

Regards,
Tony

Originally Posted by sniper27
forgive my ignorance, but where does that plug into the car?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
ah...i see it now. i wasn't sure if the cable was for the docking end of the ipod cable. keep us posted on how it works. i am trying to do the same for my blackberry. thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 PM
KaptainObvious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I'll try... should work :D

I have read many threads including this one on streaming audio from my Droid HTC TBolt to my Non-Nav G37. First, I'd just like to say, that Infiniti & Nissan suck! It is absurd that I paid for the "Premium" Bose 10 speaker sound system only to find out that I have to use an iPhone. And there was NO way I was gonna pay $1800 for the NAV system. Anyway....

I like the idea of tying into the audio feeds of the XM module. And commend and thank you for the idea (aerospaced). I will go one step further and report back my results of the following...

I just purchased this BT receiver to 3.5MM output. From there I will tie into the XM module L&R. This way I won't have to have 2 connections to my Droid everytime I get in the car. As you all know the Droid sucks battery power so hard the only thing missing is a loud sucking sound coming out of it. So it must charge while driving. One less wire the better.

It is a bit steep at $41 plus shipping. But compared to the $1800 NAV raping from Infiniti, it's a steal. Hopefully it will sound OK.

This is what I bought. Read the review where the guy does an in-depth review compared to the Belkin.

Amazon.com: Miccus BluBridge mini-jack Rx: Portable, Bluetooth Music Receiver with Stereo Output (1/8-Inch) for Home and Auto systems: Electronics

Btw, I tried the AnyCom. Although it pairs like a charm, the radio doesn't detect it at all. And since I bought it off ebay, I guess I have to add the $29 I spent on that to the $41 on this one since I know I'm not going to get my money back from the ebay seller.

Be back with my results... Thanks again to aerospaced and all others who contributed.

KO
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
fluxemag

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KaptainObvious
I have read many threads including this one on streaming audio from my Droid HTC TBolt to my Non-Nav G37. First, I'd just like to say, that Infiniti & Nissan suck! It is absurd that I paid for the "Premium" Bose 10 speaker sound system only to find out that I have to use an iPhone. And there was NO way I was gonna pay $1800 for the NAV system. Anyway....

I like the idea of tying into the audio feeds of the XM module. And commend and thank you for the idea (aerospaced). I will go one step further and report back my results of the following...

I just purchased this BT receiver to 3.5MM output. From there I will tie into the XM module L&R. This way I won't have to have 2 connections to my Droid everytime I get in the car. As you all know the Droid sucks battery power so hard the only thing missing is a loud sucking sound coming out of it. So it must charge while driving. One less wire the better.

It is a bit steep at $41 plus shipping. But compared to the $1800 NAV raping from Infiniti, it's a steal. Hopefully it will sound OK.

This is what I bought. Read the review where the guy does an in-depth review compared to the Belkin.

Amazon.com: Miccus BluBridge mini-jack Rx: Portable, Bluetooth Music Receiver with Stereo Output (1/8-Inch) for Home and Auto systems: Electronics

Btw, I tried the AnyCom. Although it pairs like a charm, the radio doesn't detect it at all. And since I bought it off ebay, I guess I have to add the $29 I spent on that to the $41 on this one since I know I'm not going to get my money back from the ebay seller.

Be back with my results... Thanks again to aerospaced and all others who contributed.

KO
If this works I'm buying one. That's awesome. Let us know how well it pairs with your phone, or if you have to manually pair it every time. I have a coupe with no Bose, but I have XM. I'm hoping I can fine the RCA out as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
KaptainObvious

Update....
Got the receiver yesterday. It's pretty cool, paired it easily. It doesn't autoconnect after pairing, but connecting is simple though. Pressing the button twice on the receiver forces the Droid to connect. So no big deal.

Slight variation from aerospaced's recommendation about connecting up to the XM tuner in the trunk. I decided to venture into the dash so I ripped apart the center console last night, found the connector coming from the XM tuner in the trunk on the back of the AV control unit and I will tie into it there. Ran out of time so I had to reassemble without connecting into it. I'll finish this up on Friday or Saturday with my son.

I plan to locate the BT receiver in the armrest compartment of the center console.

My only issue is, the factory connector wires are tiny, so unsure how to easily and safely tie in.

Aerospaced, how did you tie in, quick-tap connectors, solder, etc?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM
shifter2600

Pictures of the XM Unit Wire harness

Here is where you will tap into the wires for the XM feed.
Based on previous posting from aerospaced.
See attachments
Attached Thumbnails Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-imag0101.jpg   Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-imag0100.jpg   Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-imag0099.jpg   Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-imag0098.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
aerospaced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Update....
Got the receiver yesterday. It's pretty cool, paired it easily. It doesn't autoconnect after pairing, but connecting is simple though. Pressing the button twice on the receiver forces the Droid to connect. So no big deal.

Slight variation from aerospaced's recommendation about connecting up to the XM tuner in the trunk. I decided to venture into the dash so I ripped apart the center console last night, found the connector coming from the XM tuner in the trunk on the back of the AV control unit and I will tie into it there. Ran out of time so I had to reassemble without connecting into it. I'll finish this up on Friday or Saturday with my son.

I plan to locate the BT receiver in the armrest compartment of the center console.

My only issue is, the factory connector wires are tiny, so unsure how to easily and safely tie in.

Aerospaced, how did you tie in, quick-tap connectors, solder, etc?

That is the one part of my installation that I'm not happy about. I have not had any luck finding mating connectors which would be the best solution. I basically used a 3 foot length of 4 conductor solid stranded wire (approx 26 - 28 ga) - dont need a heavier gauge wire as its only signal level (low) power. One end I soldered to a pair of RCA jacks for L + R channels which I plugged my 20 foot 1/8 extension into. The other end I stripped back 1/8" to 3/16" of insulation and inserted the wire into the connector along side the existing wire. I used a pair needle nose pliers to fully seat and ensure electrical contact. Leaving the insulation on provided a surprisingly tight fit. After all 4 wires were connected I carefully tie-wrapped. Of course all of this work was done with the XM connector unplugged and hanging down inside the trunk providing easy access. I have to admit I was somewhat surprised that after all the bending and twisting I needed to do to reconnect to the XM tuner my newly installed aux-in wires stayed put. I have been using it like this for a couple weeks now without any issues. One note - make sure you observe the polarity of the connections - if you have them mis-connected you will lose low frequency response. You know you have it wrong if during playback you hear more bass when only listening to Right or Left channel and less bass with the balance in the middle.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM
KaptainObvious

Success!

I can now stream my Droid over my Bose Infiniti sound system. One problem though, I accidentally turned on the car when everything was disconnected and the SRS did not like that. Now my SRS warning light is flashing so I'll have to visit the dealer for a reset.

Also, despite the fact that the removal and reassembly is pretty simple, the actual wiring tie-in is a bit tedious even for myself who comes from an electronic background with extensive soldering experience. Tedious because of the tiny gauge wire that is used behind the radio.

Anyway, here ya go...

1. Drop the car into drive, apply the emergency brake and shut off the car. Go under the hood and disconnect the ground side of the battery. You do this for 2 reasons, 1st you don't want to accidentally trip an SRS sensor and get 2 black eyes. 2nd, you can probably avoid the SRS light flash I now have.

For the rest, just refer to the attached photos with annotations. Like I said it's pretty simple to remove everything.

The connector you need to mess with is the lower right rear corner of the AV control unit. This location is while viewing from the top down the back of the unit while it is still loose but connected. Once you find it, remove AV Control unit completely.

This is the tedious part:
You now need to release and partially slide out the pins for the black, green, white and red wires. See the attached pinout photo.

You can slide each one out at a time, solder to it and then slide and lock it back into the connector. be careful not to break the plastic locking tabs.

** again, if you have never done this before, it is probably best to have an experienced tech do it for you.

I carefully tucked the wire, riding the side of the console on top of the plastic venting into the storage compartment.

Not too good at writing instructions. Hopefully the photos will be a big help. If you have any questions, just ask here.

All in all it sounds pretty good. I have to raise the volume on my phone and the car but it is still loud enough with good quality.

Have fun and good luck.
KO
Attached Thumbnails Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-panel_components.jpg   Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-wiring_pinout.jpg   Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-tuck.jpg   Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-compartment.jpg   Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)-imag0519.jpg  

Last edited by KaptainObvious; 04-27-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM
KaptainObvious

Thanks for the additional info.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM
KaptainObvious

thanks for the additional info Aerospacecd
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 PM
aerospaced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

thanks for the additional info Aerospacecd
Great Job! I like the idea of soldering the leads to the connector pins. I will probably end up doing the same at some point in time.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 PM
KaptainObvious

Originally Posted by aerospaced
Great Job! I like the idea of soldering the leads to the connector pins. I will probably end up doing the same at some point in time.
@Aero, did you keep the L and R grounds separate? I joined mine since I only had a 3 wire 3.5mm jack.

Also, are your L & R channels equal in volume? my left is slightly lower than right. I think it might be because I joined the grounds.

KO

Quick Reply: Help Non-navigation streaming audio (I know...)