Wheels & Tires Reviews on wheels & tires for G vehicles.

Review Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+

So for my yearly tire replacement this time I decided to try the Michelin AS/3+ because I was able to get Discount Tire to honor the mileage warranty on the Bridgestone 980AS, which made my cost for the Michelins around 600 dollars. See my review of the Bridgestone tires for details about them.

I run a square set up on my coupe so that I an rotate them. 245/40-19

I've had the Michelins on for a couple thousand miles now and their performance is excellent in all ways. I would rate them at slightly better than the 980 in cornering and turn-in feel, equal in wet traction while new, and better at hydroplane resistance while new. These are definitely the best tires I have had on this car while they are new.

They are virtually silent and the ride is very similar to the bridgestones, which is to say excellent. I live in an area with mostly great roads so I can't speak to the ride quality for those of you who have to drive in the northeast.

Cornering is awesome. I do quite a bit of spirited driving and these feel rock solid in hard turns and the limits of adhesion in dry are above any safe speed on the street. The car feels just a little more eager to turn, almost as if the car is leaning into the turn. I have these same tires on my son's old BMW 328i coupe and that feeling is even more pronounced.

I have had a couple of brief opportunities to drive in heavy rain and the hydroplane resistance when new is very good. It feels on par with the DWS06 when it was new, slightly better than the 980AS.

The traction in wet is similar to the 980AS which was amazing. I will be doubly amazed if it is as good when worn but while new it is excellent--I don't have to work hard at all not to spin the rear tires on wet pavement and traction limits in curves are very high and you can feel when you are getting close to breaking loose.

I will update this review again when the tires have some real miles on them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rollo:
cydrive (04-29-2019), G37XS13 (07-22-2019), slartibartfast (04-27-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Boatfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollo
So for my yearly tire replacement this time I decided to try the Michelin AS/3+ because I was able to get Discount Tire to honor the mileage warranty on the Bridgestone 980AS, which made my cost for the Michelins around 600 dollars. See my review of the Bridgestone tires for details about them.

I run a square set up on my coupe so that I an rotate them. 245/40-19....

I will update this review again when the tires have some real miles on them.
Been a few months. Still feel like pressing the go pedal will result in smiles?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatfox
Been a few months. Still feel like pressing the go pedal will result in smiles?

I haven't quite gotten 6k miles on them yet and the performance is outstanding. Definitely a step below the bridgestones in wet traction but a step above in hydroplane resistance and dry handling...I never get either set of tires to traction limits but the michelins make the car feel easier to turn.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:16 PM
candytheiplvert
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and ironically similar miles. I bought mine in January 2019 and have about 5,500 miles on them. Almost time for first rotation. I too went with 245/40/19 all the way around so I can rotate. I feel it's much quieter and smoother than the Bridgestone and we'll see about mileage/duration. I also got mine at Discount tire and for the money I can definitely say that these are well worth it. I tried to give Bridgestone a chance again and it was tempting with the sale they had, but the extra money is worth it to quiet down our cars as well as smoother performance and better traction.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Currently have the S04, car came with it so I replaced with same. Good performance but noisy...Currently tirerack has the AS3+ with a $100 rebate, so went with those. After rebate, price was same as the pirelli all season plus so kind of a no brainer. Hoping to keep similar performance with less noise AND these obviously have tread warranty so that's a plus!
The following users liked this post:
candytheiplvert (09-19-2019)
Old 05-22-2020, 02:30 PM
ATHENSG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My stock wheels have these tires on them and I can also agree that they are a damn good tire. My car handles like a go cart and the steering is super responsive with these. I bought aftermarket wheels and just got some Lexani LX-Twenty tires on them and they are super sloppy compared to the A/S 3+. They arent an aggressive looking tire and you wouldnt expect the performance you get from them but ill be replacing my cheapo tires with the A/S 3+ when they wear out.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:43 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Had these also but now have Goodyear Exhilarates. The Michelins are good for about 2 inches of snow. But I did notice that my steering got lighter when I went to the Goodyears as they weigh about 2 pounds lighter and aren't as sticky. I really didn't like how heavy the steering felt with the Michelins. And because the sidewalls are so stiff the ride is a little rougher and you notice more when they are out of balance. But the Goodyears handle better and have better wet traction though. But can't say I recommended the Goodyears to aggressive drivers because the dry traction isn't the best. I'm surprised by how often traction control kicks in in my car.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:22 AM
Sulaiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ is one of the best high performance tires on the market. It offers excellent grip and handling, and is very durable. The only downside is that it is quite expensive.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:27 AM
Vlad Orlov
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice review, im gona have to grab a pair now
Old 06-24-2023, 01:42 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlad Orlov
nice review, im gona have to grab a pair now
Don't know if they still make them. Looks like they have been replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
The following users liked this post:
joe32288 (08-02-2023)