G37S Coupe Front Rim Locating Spacer/Screw Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
G37S Coupe Front Rim Locating Spacer/Screw Q

I have the 19" Enkei rims on my '12 G37S coupe, and the silver paint/coating is flaking off, so I want to have them refinished. I don't want the car to be down for a long time, so was thinking of swapping the rims/tires from one of my Supras over. They're 18" instead of 19", but have the same bolt circle, offsets, etc. so they should fit if the fronts will clear the G37's calipers.

I was going to do a test fit today, however in pulling the fronts off the G37, I noticed what looked like a locating screw on both front hubs, that fits into a recess on the stock Enkei rims. This effectively prevents other rims from fitting onto the hubs, however it's easily removed, but I was just curious if anyone knows its purpose?

Sorry, pics below are in reverse order. The bottom pic shows the locater mounted in the hub, then removed, then a closeup of it in my hand.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:15 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
that threaded hole on the rotor is meant to be used to assist in removing the rotor when it gets siezed on the hub...the idea is you use an impact and screw in the screw until it breaks the rotor free from the hub...looks like someone retrofitted a spacer and a screw because they couldnt find a screw short enough and thought they needed it to keep the rotor in place on the hub, maybe during a rotor install or to keep the hub in place for some reason....I would chuck it...

with respect to the Supra rims make sure the center bore is the same as the G, IIRC the G's is 66.1 if its too small the supra rim wont fit and if its too large you will need an adapter
Old 02-20-2019, 03:16 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Purpose is so that incompetent tire shops/ dealers dont install the front wheels on rear and rears on the front
Old 02-20-2019, 03:17 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
that threaded hole on the rotor is meant to be used to assist in removing the rotor when it gets siezed on the hub...the idea is you use an impact and screw in the screw until it breaks the rotor free from the hub...looks like someone retrofitted a spacer and a screw because they couldnt find a screw short enough and thought they needed it to keep the rotor in place on the hub, maybe during a rotor install or to keep the hub in place for some reason....I would chuck it...

with respect to the Supra rims make sure the center bore is the same as the G, IIRC the G's is 66.1 if its too small the supra rim wont fit and if its too large you will need an adapter
it can be used for that purpose too but not its intended design
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Thanks Hashim, yes I'm accustomed to seeing that hole used for that purpose; it just threw me off when I saw these screws and spacers still in the holes......and only on the fronts. Supra's center bores are 60.1mm, but I have Volk Challenges on the Supra which have a 73.1 center bore and I use hubcentric reducing rings with them, so I'll need to pick up another set to reduce the 73.1 to the Infiniti's 66.1

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Purpose is so that incompetent tire shops/ dealers dont install the front wheels on rear and rears on the front
That makes sense; thanks!

BTW, is it common for the rims' finish to flake off? They look like they have a bad case of mange or something..... It began when I started using a drive-through car wash and it had very high pressure jets to clean the wheels.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

lol damn
Old 02-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cribbj
Thanks Hashim, yes I'm accustomed to seeing that hole used for that purpose; it just threw me off when I saw these screws and spacers still in the holes......and only on the fronts. Supra's center bores are 60.1mm, but I have Volk Challenges on the Supra which have a 73.1 center bore and I use hubcentric reducing rings with them, so I'll need to pick up another set to reduce the 73.1 to the Infiniti's 66.1

That makes sense; thanks!

BTW, is it common for the rims' finish to flake off? They look like they have a bad case of mange or something..... It began when I started using a drive-through car wash and it had very high pressure jets to clean the wheels.
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
it can be used for that purpose too but not its intended design

lol, well apparently it threw me off too...thanks to IPNW_IPL for shedding light on it...I would probably still chuck it though

I don't know about others but I have run the Coupe 19" for several years in the summer...haven't experienced any defects in paint myself (i'm not counting curbrash)..... is there a chance yours were refinished at some point maybe the refinish quality wasn't as good?

BTW those Volks are nice on the Z/G platform post up a pic when you get em on.
PNW_IPL (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:46 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Regarding finish i think it depends on how it was cared for. My ipl wheels finish was perfect but my sport wheels had clearly been mistreated and the finish is poor. I can see spots where the cleaner ate the finish.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

I suspect at one point these rims were refinished as I find it hard to believe a drive through car wash would cause the flaking. There appears to be some sort of black coating under the silver, so perhaps one of the PO's had done them up in black, and the dealership I purchased it from tried to do a cheapie silver refinsh. I'm the 3rd owner.

I'll post up some pics of the Volks as/when I get them on; they really look nice on the Supra, and I'm sure they'll look good on the G37 too.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:37 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Mine are also black under the silver finish
Old 02-21-2019, 06:44 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Interesting. Well, maybe as you say, perhaps the chemicals at this car wash damaged the coating and caused the flaking. It's to the point now where it can be scraped off with a finger nail.....
Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cribbj
It's to the point now where it can be scraped off with a finger nail.....
yoiks, that sounds bad I'm thinking the chemical damage may be the culprit in that case but it could also just be a bad touch ups from the dealer ...the black under the silver is OEM though, its part of the "Hypersilver" finish they use, its a multi stage paint and a giant PIA to colour match.... as bad as trying to colour match a pearl paint ... from what I can tell most people when they do a quick and dirty refinish skip it and just refinish their set together in regular silver or something close that most people can't tell the difference on
Old 02-22-2019, 09:36 AM
cribbj
Registered Member

Here's a pic of the RR, which probably is the worst of the bunch. Once I have them off the car, I'll have the tires dismounted and will take the wheels over to Wheels America here in Houston and will have them refinished from scratch (blast to bare metal & powdercoat). Hopefully that'll be more durable.

Baadnewsburr (02-22-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:36 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
The volks are probably gonna look small. I had volk gts I had to drop the car alot to make it look good
Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM
cribbj
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
The volks are probably gonna look small. I had volk gts I had to drop the car alotY to make it look good
You're right. Here's a pic with the 18" Volks. Tires are 255/40's in front and 285/35's in the rear and I was surprised how small the Volks looked, compared to the OEM 19" Enkei's. I've always preferred the look of 18" wheels and tall sidewalls, but I think the 19" Enkei's have changed my mind The overall height of the tire wheel combo is right at an inch shorter with the Volks than the Enkei's

These Volks are 9" wide up front with a 45mm negative offset and 10" wide in the rear with a 50mm negative offset, vs 8 1/2" x 43 and 9" x 45 for the stock Enkei's. The Volks with more negative offset than the Enkei's has helped with the wider rubber in the rear. I'm running 255/40's and 275/35's on the stock Enkei's rims and have seen just a bit of rubbing on the rear shock tubes. The Volk fronts have 2mm more offset and the rears have 5mm more, and there's no rubbing whatsoever from either the fronts or rears. I haven't bottomed out the suspension yet to check for rubbing there, but so far, so good, and it's a temporary situation only.

The car is filthy as we just started our pollen season here in Houston, but if anyone wants to see more pics, I'm happy to shoot them. Here's a sample pic:

Last edited by cribbj; 02-24-2019 at 06:56 PM.