Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Tire question

Today I wanted to get a tire rotation and the people noticed that I have different set of tires.

I got my car a year ago and never even noticed it. I have OHTSU front tires and Hankook rear tires. They said that there was not point in rotating because of the tread wear on the front.

They also said that since I have different type of tread due to having different tires that it could cause transmission problems. They tried telling me that Hankook and OHTSU is a bad brand of tires for my G37x.

I was wondering if anyone can give me information on whether this is true or not.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan G37
Today I wanted to get a tire rotation and the people noticed that I have different set of tires.

I got my car a year ago and never even noticed it. I have OHTSU front tires and Hankook rear tires. They said that there was not point in rotating because of the tread wear on the front.

They also said that since I have different type of tread due to having different tires that it could cause transmission problems. They tried telling me that Hankook and OHTSU is a bad brand of tires for my G37x.

I was wondering if anyone can give me information on whether this is true or not.
Different tread won't cause transmission issues but different diameters on an AWD can cause issues w/ the AWD system. There may be enough diameter variance between the tire models and if the tread wear is significantly more on a tire that's already shorter than the other pair that could cause a problem.

I would get matching, and hopefully a full new set of tires as soon as your budget allows.
The following users liked this post:
Dan G37 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Different tread won't cause transmission issues but different diameters on an AWD can cause issues w/ the AWD system. There may be enough diameter variance between the tire models and if the tread wear is significantly more on a tire that's already shorter than the other pair that could cause a problem.

I would get matching, and hopefully a full new set of tires as soon as your budget allows.
Thanks as always! By causing issues with the AWD system is that only if the tires are that way, or does it become a permanent problem?

Also could you suggest some good all season tires? I'm not quite sure on the size some people say 245 and some 250. I have the 2010 G37X coupe model. Thanks as always <3
Old 04-12-2018, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan G37
Thanks as always! By causing issues with the AWD system is that only if the tires are that way, or does it become a permanent problem?

Also could you suggest some good all season tires? I'm not quite sure on the size some people say 245 and some 250. I have the 2010 G37X coupe model. Thanks as always <3
If you have your original 18x8 wheels I would run no wider than a 245/45/18 tire. Good A/S tires would be Michelin Pilot A/S, Continental DWS06, BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S are good choices.

Typically if there's an issue w/ your AWD, the AWD light will come on at higher speeds. If this hasn't happened then your diameter difference isn't excessive. If it does come don't continue driving at the higher speed, and get matched tires ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
Dan G37 (04-13-2018)