Wheels & Tires Reviews on wheels & tires for G vehicles.

Michelin PS4S

Old 11-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Superjay

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Michelin PS4S

I bought my 08 coupe S last year, and it had the factory G-Force Comp Sports on it. They were brand new tires in stock size. I hated them. They were garbage tires that are too small for the car, and I did my best to burn through them quickly. In the wet they were unpredictable with no traction, and in the dry they were greasy in the Florida heat.

I increased tire size on the factory 19" rims to 245/40ZR19 front, 275/35ZR19 rear

I got new tires last week. The Pilot Sport 4S is the next iteration of PS, and I love them. I've been a Michelin guy (Michelin Man??) for over 20 years, with most of those being on some form of Pilot Sport. My CLS550 and my Dinan 435 have Super Sports on them, and I drive them to the very edge of traction. The 4S are better in every way.

The 4S are quieter, more comfortable, more predictable on turn in, more responsive on turn-in (requiring less input), and stickier. Tread wear is better (300 v 260), and they are similarly speed rated (Y 186+). All in all, the Pilot Sport 4S is a better tire than anything in it's class (Ultra High Performance Summer) in both wet and dry.

The following is my observed testing of the tires (yes, I do this with every set of tires I put on a car)
I have changed the brakes for both tests to Stop-Tech front rotors and Hawk Blue pads front and rear (factory Akibono calipers), and steel braided liness. No other mods
These were conducted at the Sebring International Raceway

test G-Force PS4S
60-0 117' 101'
0-60 5.6 5.4
Lateral G .87 .92 (250' skidpad)
Full course 2:49.25 2:31.02 (best of 6 laps)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:12 AM
gumi4680

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Superjay
I bought my 08 coupe S last year, and it had the factory G-Force Comp Sports on it. They were brand new tires in stock size. I hated them. They were garbage tires that are too small for the car, and I did my best to burn through them quickly. In the wet they were unpredictable with no traction, and in the dry they were greasy in the Florida heat.

I increased tire size on the factory 19" rims to 245/40ZR19 front, 275/35ZR19 rear

I got new tires last week. The Pilot Sport 4S is the next iteration of PS, and I love them. I've been a Michelin guy (Michelin Man??) for over 20 years, with most of those being on some form of Pilot Sport. My CLS550 and my Dinan 435 have Super Sports on them, and I drive them to the very edge of traction. The 4S are better in every way.

The 4S are quieter, more comfortable, more predictable on turn in, more responsive on turn-in (requiring less input), and stickier. Tread wear is better (300 v 260), and they are similarly speed rated (Y 186+). All in all, the Pilot Sport 4S is a better tire than anything in it's class (Ultra High Performance Summer) in both wet and dry.

The following is my observed testing of the tires (yes, I do this with every set of tires I put on a car)
I have changed the brakes for both tests to Stop-Tech front rotors and Hawk Blue pads front and rear (factory Akibono calipers), and steel braided liness. No other mods
These were conducted at the Sebring International Raceway

test G-Force PS4S
60-0 117' 101'
0-60 5.6 5.4
Lateral G .87 .92 (250' skidpad)
Full course 2:49.25 2:31.02 (best of 6 laps)
Very nice~ Currently own PSS and I heard about 4S tires. I do not track the car but I am thinking about getting 4S tires when I have to replace PSS. Thanks for the review, I love PSS but if it's better then I don't even have to think about it
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I have been on 4S' since May; love them. Went to these after I drove some PSS to the end of their life. Just wish it would get above 40° outside so I can drive on them again.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
I think the "velvet" sidewall is cool too. The tires were a huge upgrade over the Potenza RFTs that came stock on my car. Note: Car has been buffed since this photo, lol!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:14 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
What are two numbers about? Min/max for these tires or comparison with previous tires?

Too bad my PSS3 tires still have a lot of miles left.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Nice review.

I'm torn on these. I'm on my 3rd set of PSS and love them. When I got this most recent set I priced out the PS4S and they were a couple hundred more than the now discontinued PSS in the same sizes. Logically I'd get these next, but at some point, I pass the point of diminishing returns for a street driven car and have to look at the S04 and Continental offerings more closely. Everything I've heard is these are outstanding tires though.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Nice review.

I'm torn on these. I'm on my 3rd set of PSS and love them. When I got this most recent set I priced out the PS4S and they were a couple hundred more than the now discontinued PSS in the same sizes. Logically I'd get these next, but at some point, I pass the point of diminishing returns for a street driven car and have to look at the S04 and Continental offerings more closely. Everything I've heard is these are outstanding tires though.
It's more so a small improvement performance wise, but a larger improvement in tire noise and ride comfort.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:38 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I find the PSS3 to have a little more grip and better ride than S-04.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I find the PSS3 to have a little more grip and better ride than S-04.
Those seem to have limited size availability. Tire Rack doesn't list them in 245/40 275/35 sizes. S04s are indeed pretty rough riding.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:05 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I had the Pontenzas on the stock sedan S wheels. I put the Michelins on coupe wheels.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 AM
justint5387
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Continental Extreme Sport is decent as well at a lower price. the PS4s are pricey
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 AM
Superjay

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
What are two numbers about? Min/max for these tires or comparison with previous tires?

Too bad my PSS3 tires still have a lot of miles left.

The first number was with the stock tires, second with the PS4S
Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 AM
Superjay

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Nice review.

Originally Posted by Ryne
It's more so a small improvement performance wise, but a larger improvement in tire noise and ride comfort.
Ryne is correct. There is VERY little improvement over the PSS, and at the ragged edge of grip the PSS actually gives better feedback, but the noise and comfort were far more important to me. The PSS is not discontinued; they wanted to, but too much demand from OEMs. Most of us will only realize the difference through cabin noise and ride.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:14 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Superjay
Ryne is correct. There is VERY little improvement over the PSS, and at the ragged edge of grip the PSS actually gives better feedback, but the noise and comfort were far more important to me. The PSS is not discontinued; they wanted to, but too much demand from OEMs. Most of us will only realize the difference through cabin noise and ride.
Thanks for the update. Yeah, a year ago Tire Rack said the PSS was being discontinued (Discount Tire was already out of 275/35/19, and cancelled my order) but they appear readily available still.

I'll be replacing my rears again soon and sticking with the PSS.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:09 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
The Firestone Firehawks are supposed to be awesome at a lot lower price than the PS4S $580 after rebate. I recently went and got some AS3+ and they are pretty great. I know they don't have the ultimate grip of the PS4S but they have better stats then most of the Summer Tires.

The PS4S are the top dogs, but there are others that are less expensive and should be close to their performance.

There is a new General G-Max RS. I had some General Exclaims and loved them. These new G-Max RS are being sold for less then they will be later due to them being new to the market. The same thing happened with the G-Max AS05. Reviewers are saying they are better than the Hankook V12s which are pretty grippy when their new. They are $609 at tirerack.

Last edited by ezbme; 06-30-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Search this Thread