Wheels & Tires Reviews on wheels & tires for G vehicles.

Michelin PS4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ezbme
I recently went and got some AS3+ and they are pretty great. I know they don't have the ultimate grip of the PS4S but they have better stats then most of the Summer Tires.

Right, but in that case, you're comparing the best in class UHPAS tire to the second tier summer tires

I'd love to get AS3+ for my wifes Accord
Old 07-01-2018, 11:48 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Nobody should be running all-season tires in the southern half of California except the poor. Top-tier tires work better in the rain that A/S. Just check Tire Rack for fairly objective tests.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:51 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
What's rain? Funny, didn't know tires that run $740 a set were only for the poor. I guess I should have gotten some Nexen Summer tires, if they have those.

I went more for the treadwear and the reviews, not to get the highest grip while sacrificing wear.

The problem with Tire Racks tests are that they use different Chassis, not just different cars, esp if one test is two years from another. It makes it difficult to rely on one vs another.

I do agree that some summer tires do better in the rain just like some summer tires have better grip, but there aren't that many. I am hoping to have these for two years and then perhaps I will switch to the AS 4 or PS4s You know they will have an AS 4 by 2020. But my tesla will probably be built by then.

Well I don't get the privilege of driving every tire out there. I had some PSS on my last car. I don't even think I have driven in rain since getting my AS3+. The PSS I would say were the best tires I have had. The AS3+ are pretty great, but they aren't the PSS or the PS4S.

The firestones are basically bridgestones that they don't sell here. My tire guy says they are great. I was really impressed with the General Exclaims they came on a car that I used to own. And I have heard great things about the G-Max RS. They were picked by Steve Saleen for his cars, but what does that guy know about cars. I don't race my car, just some spirited driving from time to time.

Michelin MXV4 far better than I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting much.

Nitto NT505 were pretty decent, didn't kill me, didn't really push them too hard.

Hankook V12 Grip close to the top, but after 50% wear, scary. Would never buy Hankook again.

Hankook Ventus S1 Nobile Pretty good Grip until after 50% wear, scary. Would never buy Hankook again.

Kuhmo ASX, smooth and reliable not bad grip

Continental Pro Contacts wouldn't recommend

Continental Extreme Contact DWS, really soft sidewalls and slippery when new, my traction control was going crazy when I first had them. I raised the air pressure, got used to them. Wouldn't buy them again.

Bridgestone Turanza Revo Z not made anymore, they had great grip when I owned them, wore well, shame there gone.

General Exclaim UHP not made anymore, they had great grip when I owned them, wore well, shame there gone.

Bridgestone RE92, Bridgestone should be shot for selling these pos.

Goodyear, well I had some on a Civic once, they wore fast.

Nexen N3000, they were good tires, nice grip. I think if you are going to go cheap, skip the ling longs skip the sunfulls, buy Nexens. Nexen makes the Lexani tires which cost even less than regular Nexen, if you need to, buy them.

Sumitomo HTR III good tire for the $$ but there are a lot of tires that have eclipsed them for the price.

I have had other Sumitomo tires in the past and enjoyed them. Sumitomo should be more up to date with their tires, but they mostly let falken take the lead.

The worst tires I have had would be the Hankook and the RE92. The Hankooks are like Jekyll and Hyde, the RE92s were just a horrible tire that shouldn't have come out, totally pathetic.

Last edited by ezbme; 07-01-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Nobody should be running all-season tires in the southern half of California except the poor.

The PSS I would say were the best tires I have had.

+1
Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I have the PSS and really like them. I track my car occasionally, including in rain, and these are some awesome tires. From street use only, better ride and more grip than Potenza S-04 Pole Position and the RE050 or RE760 that came on the car.

I'd love to try Dunlop Direzza Star Spec on this car, they were fantastic on my Miata. Wet grip is a problem, though.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 07-02-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:01 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Dunlop used to be shared by Sumitomo and Goodyear. I believe Sumitomo made the tires and Goodyear owned half of the company. Now Goodyear owns them all and they are going to make all new tires for Dunlop.

I have heard good things about Coopers, but never owned them, a lot are made in China.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:45 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I'm not concerned with who owns the tire maker. It's all about traction. If a Chinese brand suddenly became the king of traction, that'll be my next tire choice.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I have heard good things about Coopers, but never owned them, a lot are made in China.
Are you sure about that? I thought they were made in Korea.

If a Chinese brand suddenly became the king of traction, that'll be my next tire choice.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I'd consider an AS3+ as the next tire too. For the type of driving I do and the level I do it at, PSS/PS4 is just overkill. I'd still run a dedicated winter tire but would get a bit more out of the summer/AS tire.

@ezbme How would you characterize the steering feel of the as3 compared to the PSS? One thing I can't stand is that mushy feel you get with soft sidewall tires when turning the wheel or setting up for a corner.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:02 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

The AS3+ haven't been known to be mushy, in fact they have been considered fairly hard. I would say they respond well to input probably equal or right below the PSS. The PS4S has some things that should make it even better.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:08 AM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
I'm thinking about trying these tires out. On my last car i ran a few sets of Toyo Proxes T1r, then the T1s (loved the T1s in dry or rain) . I was going to pull the Toyo trigger on this car but I'd like to give the Pilot Sport S4 a shot.

Question though, for a 2010 g37 S coupe (6mt) on the stock 19 inch enkeis. Id like to upsize the 225 fronts and 245 rears. Im game for 245s up front, I'm a little skeptical about 275 in the rear on a 9 inch rim though. Does your sidewall feel a abit.. how do i put it.. chubby or Squishy in this size?

Otherwise I'm thinking maybe 265/35/19 (i know the speedometer would be a tiny bit off but that doesn't bother me as its so minimal)

I ask because i know 370z sport runs a 375 but they also have a 10 inch rim Vs our 9 inch rim on the rear, Do correct me im wrong though please
Old 04-07-2020, 04:32 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I run 245/275 on coupe wheels and don't find the minor sidewall flex to be at all objectionable.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
I run 245/275 on coupe wheels and don't find the minor sidewall flex to be at all objectionable.
That's good news, thanks for the input !