Service Engine Light/TPMS Light Came on

Old 10-26-2017, 06:46 PM
vq37_
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Service Engine Light/TPMS Light Came on

Hey all,

So a few months ago a lady hit the rear right side of my car, and I got it fixed; fast forward a few weeks later the engine light came on, is there any way to reset the service engine light? Also I recently changed my wheels, and tires from a 17x7.5 to 18x8 wheels and after a few days the TPMS light came on, now everytime I start it the light blinks for about a minute, and is solid. I'm not too sure what to do because I know that if I take it to the dealership they'd charge a ridiculous amount. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Unplugging the battery should reset the Service Engine Light as well as following this video:

I just following him and do it as he does it in the video.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:11 PM
vq37_
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SkyG37
Unplugging the battery should reset the Service Engine Light as well as following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95WszTnphPI

I just following him and do it as he does it in the video.
Unplugging both terminals? I tried that trick as well but didn't seem to work
Old 10-26-2017, 07:26 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by vq37_
Hey all,

So a few months ago a lady hit the rear right side of my car, and I got it fixed; fast forward a few weeks later the engine light came on, is there any way to reset the service engine light? Also I recently changed my wheels, and tires from a 17x7.5 to 18x8 wheels and after a few days the TPMS light came on, now everytime I start it the light blinks for about a minute, and is solid. I'm not too sure what to do because I know that if I take it to the dealership they'd charge a ridiculous amount. Let me know.

Thanks
Your check engine light is on because there is a problem. What good are you doing by just trying to turn the light off? You need to get the car checked out to see if it is something minor or major.

It doesn't matter if you disconnect the negative, positive or both terminals. If the light stays on than that means you have a electrical/circuit problem.

As for the TPMS light being on, does your new wheels have the correct TPMS sensors in them? The light blinking is a indication that 1 or more sensor is malfunctioning or can't be read.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Look into getting one of those wifi OBII scanners. They're like $15-20 on Amazon. I have one and I keep it in my car. Pretty handy device to keep around.
The following users liked this post:
vq37_ (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 PM
vq37_
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
Your check engine light is on because there is a problem. What good are you doing by just trying to turn the light off? You need to get the car checked out to see if it is something minor or major.

It doesn't matter if you disconnect the negative, positive or both terminals. If the light stays on than that means you have a electrical/circuit problem.

As for the TPMS light being on, does your new wheels have the correct TPMS sensors in them? The light blinking is a indication that 1 or more sensor is malfunctioning or can't be read.
I took it to the same place where I got it fixed, and they said that it just comes on when maintenance is due soon, and that I'd need to take it to the dealership to get the light removed.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

I took it to the same place where I got it fixed, and they said that it just comes on when maintenance is due soon, and that I'd need to take it to the dealership to get the light removed.
They could not be more wrong.

Service Engine Soon light is a Check engine light. A check engine light does not come on for routine maintenance.

Also when maintenance is due, you can easily reset it yourself on both the nav screen display and MID display on the cluster.

They are just telling you to take it to a dealership because they don't know anything. What's the name of this shop that you took it to?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:52 PM
vq37_
Registered Member

They could not be more wrong.

Service Engine Soon light is a Check engine light. A check engine light does not come on for routine maintenance.

Also when maintenance is due, you can easily reset it yourself on both the nav screen display and MID display on the cluster.

They are just telling you to take it to a dealership because they don't know anything. What's the name of this shop that you took it to?
I am aware that you can reset it on the display where the speedometer is, also the shop is called fix auto it was the collision repair shop that my insurance company recommended me to take it to.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:37 PM
solidsilver
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My check engine light came on a few months ago as well. I tried the usual gas cap thing, but to no avail. Took it to the dealer, and it was fixed with some kind of reflash to part of the transmission programming - sounds a little obscure to me, but it fixed the problem and it's never happened since.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:48 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
listen to qman and get the codes read. should be free from most auto parts shops. tell us what the codes are and we can point you in the right direction from there.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

I am aware that you can reset it on the display where the speedometer is, also the shop is called fix auto it was the collision repair shop that my insurance company recommended me to take it to.
Do you have a Android phone?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 AM
vq37_
Registered Member

Do you have a Android phone?
Nope, iPhone

Search this Thread