Wheels & Tires Reviews on wheels & tires for G vehicles.

BF Goodrich GForce Comp 2 A/S Review

Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Victory,

That Consumer Report rating for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+, which speed rated tire did they test?

Our stock 18" tire size of 225/50/18 comes in either a V rated or W rated tire for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+, trying to see what speed rated version they used in their test.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
The pilot sports are w rated
Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Victory,

After a lot more researching and digging deeper in the professional comments between the two AND finally locating a person that has owned both the A/S3+ and the Comp 2 A/S on the same car. I have decided to keep the Comp 2 A/S.

To answer your two biggest questions. They seem slightly harder than my stock 18" Dunlop, but they are not bad and I kind of like it as it is firmer but in a sporty way. Yes they are louder than the Dunlop, but, if they do not increase in sound as they age. It is not horrible. They are louder but not terrible.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Thanks for the update. I'm coming from used car dealer special uniroyal tiger paws, so anything is going to be a big improvement.

as for the person who has owned both, what were his impressions?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:58 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

I had the BF Goodrich for close to 2,000 miles. I just got them exchanged under warranty because of the tramlining feeling that these tires gave. I replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ V rated and the tramlining is mostly gone, the car feels now feels like it wants to go straight instead of constant adjustment to go straight. Knock on wood, hopefully it lasts.

The BF Goodrich was a W rated tire, I picked the Michelin in V rated even though they also could come in W. The Michelin feels softer (might bump the PSI from the stock 33 to 35 psi). The BFG felt more rough, bouncy, etc going forward. However, it did feel more sporty as it felt to have a stiffer sidewall (could be the W rated vs the V in the Michelin). The Michelin feels more composed, also my steering wheel feels tighter with the Michelin. The day I put on the Michelin it was raining outside, the BFG stuck to the road like glue in the rain. The Michelin did not have that feeling. However, the lack of tramlining certainly makes up for that.

I believe the BFG will be better in the rain and the snow. More driving will need to verify that. The BFG felt rough, the Michelin feels smooth and I can actually drive straight without needing to make constant adjustments to the steering wheel, I sure hope that continues as they age.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:04 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Brand new tires still have mold-release compound on them (the shiny coating). Until that's worn off, you can't make a wet-grip comparison. Let us know your impression after the next rain.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Ariezg73

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the BF Goodrich on my last car , both the Supersport A/S and the Comp 2. IMO the complex 2's are garbage. Loud, terrible handling, and wore out quickly. The Supersport were phenomenal. The handling in both wet and dry conditions( I live in Phoenix, AZ where we get fast storms with lots of water quickly) was wonderful. Never felt like tires were going to slip. Lasted about 50K of harder driving.

My G came with Goodrides. Can't wait to get rid of them. Most likely going with thenBFG Supersport for this too.

My wife has Michelins on her 5 series. Don't remember which model but they ride very nice and feel very solid in all weather.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:07 PM
BigGrizzDipper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I now have 5-6k on my BFGs, still think they are the best bang for the buck regarding a sporty tire that doesn't compromise my all season requirements. Compared to $800-$1000 for Michelin's getting a comparable tire for nearly 1/2 of the price ($5-600 installed) was a no brainer for me, especially considering I'm still satisfied. Hardly any snow this past winter so no experience on that front. Rain control has been superb. I have 225/18", and also had conti DWS back in the day on a different vehicle. They were mushy in turns and rode like pillows, but seemed like a durable tire that would've given me 40k. Before the conti's on that car I had Pilot Sport A/S and they are a solid all season no question, just expensive. They did not have the same summer tire feel that the BFGs offer though, for that I'd have gotten the Pilot super sport if I was in a slighly warmer area.

Last edited by BigGrizzDipper; 05-11-2017 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rollo (04-15-2018)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 AM
heyeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been on the site in a while, but I wanted to give my .02 on the BFG's. I have an '09 G37 Journey with stock everything. I have 101K miles and had the BFG's put on @ 95K miles. I like the handling of them, they are leaps and bounds over the OEM Goodyear tires...BUT...

I don't do a lot of highway traveling but this last week, I had the occasion to be out on the interstate and I was having an incredibly annoying low frequency roar from the rearend between 55-80mph. Acceleration, deceleration, tranny though 5-6-7th gears (and neutral) all the same result. I had the differential fluid changed about 1K miles ago so I initially thought it was low fluid (and have had a diff lock up once before, so it sounded familiar).

I took it to the dealership and the tech went to a ride w/ me. He said that in the four years he's worked for Infiniti, he's never had a diff issue and said he thought it was the tires. Anyway, he checked the diff and all the wheel bearings and all looked/checked good...so it very well might be the tires. I am going to have them rotated in the next few days and see if the noise remains.

Just thought I would share my experiences/thoughts.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:04 PM
BigGrizzDipper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get a low pitched hum around 60mph that goes away by 65mph. I thought it was the bearings at first but it's definitely the tires.

After having them closer to 10k miles now, they are definitely noisy. I knew that going into them, I had a friend who had them on his early 00's mustang a while back. But for the price and what I was looking for, I'm still happy. I used to have hankook s1 noble 2s, which were soft as hell but quiet and comfortable.

Will I buy again? Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if the continental DWS fixed it's mushy feel in turns with their latest compound.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 PM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGrizzDipper
I get a low pitched hum around 60mph that goes away by 65mph. I thought it was the bearings at first but it's definitely the tires.

After having them closer to 10k miles now, they are definitely noisy. I knew that going into them, I had a friend who had them on his early 00's mustang a while back. But for the price and what I was looking for, I'm still happy. I used to have hankook s1 noble 2s, which were soft as hell but quiet and comfortable.

Will I buy again? Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if the continental DWS fixed it's mushy feel in turns with their latest compound.
Based on my experience the answer is YES regarding the DWS06. I bought the DWS for my 2007 G35S sedan several years ago and returned them immediately because it was like riding on balloons. I heard the dws06 was a much sportier compound and needed tires on my G37S coupe when I picked it up last year and they perform great. Dry handling not as good as Michelin AS/3 but is still acceptable, everything else is great.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:44 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I am trying to decide what to do. I have about 4-5/32 on the rears and about 2/32s on the front of my Hankook Nobile S2. I could just get fronts for now 260 for the Noble or:

$515 Kuhmo Ecsta 4x
$600 Firestone Indy 500
$660 Pirelli PZero A/S
$690 Michelin A/S 3+

Cooper Zeon RS3-G1, might be at a good price from Pepboys for Black Friday, don't know yet.

I have had a pair of Michelin A/S 3 before, got them used for $40 each installed. They had great grip, but had a imbalance in them, which showed itself when braking around 50mph and driving around 100. I thought my car had warped rotors until I replaced them with new tires. I expect to get them at Costco, which includes a hazard warranty. Never bought tires at Costco before, they are usually more $$.

Pepboys has buy 2 get two free on Black friday, but those would more than likely be only stuff in stock and they have to be the same size. I wouldn't mind going for a square size.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Superjay

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought these were garbage tires. The rear end wouldn't stay still, traction control kicks in all the time, and they lasted a whopping 20k for me. I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on last week. It's like night and day. Granted, they won't work under 35 degrees, since they are summer tires.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Superjay
I thought these were garbage tires. The rear end wouldn't stay still, traction control kicks in all the time, and they lasted a whopping 20k for me. I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on last week. It's like night and day. Granted, they won't work under 35 degrees, since they are summer tires.
In another thread, you said you had the gforce comp sports. That's a completely different tire
Old 11-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Superjay

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
In another thread, you said you had the gforce comp sports. That's a completely different tire
my mistake then

Search this Thread