TPMS And Aftermarket Rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 04:36 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by steven92

These are the wheels I am 90% leaning to on purchasing. It comes with the TPMS sensors pre-programmed. What do you think of this fitment? I am unsure whether to get 19" or 20" I do not want to lower the car due to the roads in NY area are garage and I do not want to bend my rims.
If you are not going to lower the car then stick with the 19" wheels. 20s will make your car look like a truck on stock suspension (especially the AWD models like yours). 35mm offset is good for coupes. More flush with the fender without being too aggressive leading to rubbing. But you're not going to get the look you want with 225 tires. 245 tires are a common upgrade when doing a square setup and will look more aggressive. 245/40/19 is a good choice.

I will say though, I think you should spend a little more on tires. Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Continental DW, or Ventus V12 Evo tires are some popular choices. I have never heard of the tires you posted before. If you want All Season tires instead the Continental DWS are a popular choice.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 PM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
lol I havent heard of those tires as well. These will be my summer set (April-October).
Old 02-16-2016, 04:45 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Steven -

+1 on the 245/40s. I have 'em they are perfect for a square setup on the X sedan (I know you have a coupe...so there's that...).

And I suspect those wheels can only be rotated front-to-back. No cross-rotate there. Do consider one of the tire choices that Jumbo mentioned and the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position . You won't regret it.

Otherwise they look great and should serve you well.

Sean
Old 02-17-2016, 01:22 PM
steven92

thank you everyone for their advice an input. Of course I have a few more questions.

1. 245 vs 225. Can anyone source a picture? Even if the rims are designed for 225, 245 tires will still fit the rim?

2. If I were to drop the car with the Eibach springs, would the fenders clear the width of 245 tires? Will they clear diameter of 20" wheels?

3. Can anyone help source a pic of the G37 on aftermarket 19" wheels with OEM suspension? I feel it looks "off" and a drop to minimize the wheel gap will be needed to complete the look but I am unsure.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:09 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

thank you everyone for their advice an input. Of course I have a few more questions.

1. 245 vs 225. Can anyone source a picture? Even if the rims are designed for 225, 245 tires will still fit the rim?

2. If I were to drop the car with the Eibach springs, would the fenders clear the width of 245 tires? Will they clear diameter of 20" wheels?

3. Can anyone help source a pic of the G37 on aftermarket 19" wheels with OEM suspension? I feel it looks "off" and a drop to minimize the wheel gap will be needed to complete the look but I am unsure.
1) 8.5 wheels fall within the range of acceptable diameters for a 245 tire. I believe it's 8-9.5" for 245s. I have 19x9.5 wheels mounted on 245 tires in my garage right now.

2) Yes and Yes. 245/40/19 is a common setup for 19" wheels on lowered suspension. Ridiculously common. Search around the forum and you will find examples no problem. The 35mm offset is conservative enough that you should avoid rubbing. If you want to go 20s you should get a tire with a thinner sidewall to keep the overall diameter of the wheel the same as the 19" wheels. probably 245/35 but I am not sure on that one. I always thought 20s were too big so haven't read as much on those setups for our cars. Going with 20s would not make the wheel stick further out towards the fender unless you go to a 20/9 or 20/9.5 wheel

Note, the ride will be harsher with 20" wheels and thinner tires. That in combination with the springs might not be what you're looking for since you'll be doubling up on the harshness and you mentioned bad roads in your area. To get this answered by the experts post in the Official I have a wheel/tire fitment question thread in the wheel and tire forum. Blnewt or some other kind user will probably stop by and give advice. FWIW I live in NJ and am on Swift lowering springs. Comfy ride without going too low. Feels almost OEM.

3) It does look off, just less bad than 20" rims on stock suspension. The general rule is suspension first, wheels second. Bigger wheels on X oem suspension will NOT give you the tighter, more aggressive look you want.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM
steven92

Thank you for the advice. I guess I will be going with 245/40/19 setup and purchase lowering springs. How much was it to install the swift loweringsprings, ballpark?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:23 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Thank you for the advice. I guess I will be going with 245/40/19 setup and purchase lowering springs. How much was it to install the swift loweringsprings, ballpark?
For me springs + camber kits for front and rear + install came to about $1000.

Camber kit is to keep the alignment in spec after the lowering. Some people need it, others don't. I preferred to be safe. If you want to go that route your best bet is the SPC parts. I bought mine here.

Combo Packages 2 Rear Camber Arms w/ Toe Bolts + 2 Front Adjustable A-Arms (Complete set for whole car front and rear) INFINITI G37

There are some threads around the forum about the trimming of the toe bolt slots to allow for the full range of adjustability. Check that out to make sure you or your shop knows what to do.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:27 PM
steven92

I was just trying to do the drop, No coils or camber kits. I just want to minimize the wheel gap
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

I was just trying to do the drop, No coils or camber kits. I just want to minimize the wheel gap
I understand. I mention the camber kit because it is commonly paired with lowering springs, especially the eibachs, which are a deeper drop than the swifts. Your lowered suspension will throw your tires out of alignment eating up tread and maybe even putting you in a dangerous situation.

Up to you man, hope I helped. There's no cheap way to go about this if you want to do it right.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:37 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
No one wants to lower their car, it's just that no one wants the wheel gap. lol

You can either pay now or later when it comes to purchasing camber kits. Buy them now, or buy them later along a new set of tires that were detroyed from excessive toe and/or camber.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryne:
JUMBO PALACE (02-17-2016), VIVID (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
No one wants to lower their car, it's just that no one wants the wheel gap. lol
This is one of the most accurate statements I've ever read.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (02-17-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 08:15 AM
steven92

Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
I understand. I mention the camber kit because it is commonly paired with lowering springs, especially the eibachs, which are a deeper drop than the swifts. Your lowered suspension will throw your tires out of alignment eating up tread and maybe even putting you in a dangerous situation.

Up to you man, hope I helped. There's no cheap way to go about this if you want to do it right.
You have helped a lot lol. I didn't realize that Eibach was a deeper drop then the Swift springs. I can always just lower the car at a later date. Purchase the wheels first, determine how awful the wheel gap really is, and go on from there. I have many more mods I want to do to the vehicle, investing over $3000 at least in suspension and wheels is a lot of money.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
You have helped a lot lol. I didn't realize that Eibach was a deeper drop then the Swift springs. I can always just lower the car at a later date. Purchase the wheels first, determine how awful the wheel gap really is, and go on from there. I have many more mods I want to do to the vehicle, investing over $3000 at least in suspension and wheels is a lot of money.
I agree it is a lot of $$$!!!

But rarely in this hobby are you able to combine aesthetics and performance in one package to such a degree. It really is a lot of bang for the buck. Good looks and great handling.

And please don't forget the sways.

Sean
Old 02-18-2016, 09:44 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Gotta pay to play big homie lol
But really don't cheap out on wheels/tires, the one thing between you and the road is where you want to trust the product
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM
steven92

sounds like a plan lol. Plan to do this bye May or June the latest.

First thing I am getting done is a detail with Opticoat applied lol

Quick Reply: TPMS And Aftermarket Rims