Help G37 sport wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 05:44 AM
Dug Dug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 sport wheels and tires

I have a 2013 g 37 sport and wold like to run the same size wheels and tire ? If any one has any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:29 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Do you want square OE wheels? Do you want 8.5" square? 9" square? Does weight make a difference to you? Cost? That's as far as I can go with your rather vague question. Well, except read through this forum and browse the Media Share/Wheels forum for ideas.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Dug Dug

What I would like to be able to do is run a set of stock wheels that are the same size. It is a sports model and has two different size wheels and tires. So when I went to the tire shop all the tires are performance tires. That are softer compound. So I can’t rotate front to back. Also was told that if you go a little bigger at smaller on the height of the tire. The computer will lock the transmission in a lower gear. To add to the mess I was told that there is some sort of spacer or pin that makes it unable to bolt different off sets to the car. Maybe the larger calipers. What I would like is to have a set that I can rotate that are the same size, factory rims. And a tire that is not a soft compound tire that will last. Now as far as which ones I will have to get back with you since I’m new to the terms you used. I will look at the stock wheels on z cars, and 37 etc... any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Doug
Old 08-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Sounds like you want to go from what is called a "staggered" set up (wider wheels on the rear than the front) to a square set up.

The cheapest and easiest option with the Gs is to just get 4 tires that match and mount them on the staggered wheels. On these cars the difference in width is only .5 inches. A popular tire size is 245/40/19 if you have the coupe sport wheels or 245/45/18 if you have the sedan wheels. This is the stock tire size on the rear and they will fit on the slightly narrower front rims. You can get these sizes of tires from almost any brand.

You can also buy two rear rims that match what you have used and mount them up front or vice versa.

The most expensive option is you can buy aftermarket wheels and match them with the tire sizes above. There is a wheel and tire diameter calculator on here you can use to assist you. For your sport model car you just need to keep the new diameter tires within 3% of the OEM tires to avoid issues with the computer.

The stuff about pins etc. I'm guessing you're not communicating what was told to you clearly, but if you get aftermarket wheels you need to contact the manufacturer to confirm they will clear your brakes as the sport model brakes require a minimum of 18" wheels with offsets that will clear the brakes as well as a spoke design that will clear them as well.

Last edited by Baadnewsburr; 08-02-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: terrible spelling
Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Sport models have a pin in the front hub so you can't put the rear wheels there. This pin can be removed with no consequence allowing you to run four rear wheels. While slightly heavier, the added width helps firm up the sidewall of a 245 for better turn-in.
The following 2 users liked this post by slartibartfast:
Baadnewsburr (08-02-2019), Dug Dug (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:14 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
On the sport sedans, front wheels are 7.5, rear at 8.5". Yes square sizes should fit both wheels, but not sure what will happen to the handling when running the wider wheels in the front.

The OP doesn't specify coupe or sedan, so I'll assume sedan as that's what I had.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:17 AM
Dug Dug

Yes it is a sports sedan 4 door car. So what you are saying is that, I can get two rear wheels and remove the pin. Does anybody body have experience with this? That will allow me to run same size tires and be able to rotate the tires the proper way. The way that I would prefer to go is a set of stock wheels. Thanks Doug
Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM
Dug Dug

Also will the front wheel fit the rear . If so what would I have to do. Will it clear the calipers? or do I have to add a spacer ?
Old 08-04-2019, 12:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
As I mentioned, while you can do that (pin removes with a 10 or 12mm IIRC), the question is what happens to handling when running wider wheels in front.

Another area of possible concern wheels offsets - according to https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-...reference.html , the 8.5" wheels have a 5mm greater offset, so they'll sit 'closer' into the car when mounted in the front by 5 mm. All of these are small numbers but what do they equate to terms of steering, safety, etc..
Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I have the coupe 19" staggered on my sedan, it was nothing but good. Well, except for the heavier weight... I wouldn't hesitate to put 19" x 9" all the way around. Now, you would need to install adjustable from upper control arms so as to get better alignment, a la almost zero toe and a bit more negative camber. Assuming your current tires don't have square shoulders; if so, you don't need wider tires.