Help Shipping Wheels with Tires mounted

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shipping Wheels with Tires mounted

I've sold a lot of items, including wheels on here in the past, but I have never sold any wheels tires mounted. Can anyone with experience tell me how they packaged there wheels and tires, maybe even provide pics. Or if anyone has ideas, please provide.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
I use the cellophane wrap with cardboard covering the front and back of the wheel, works just fine. The only real danger to potential damage to the wheel is the face. Just cover that up really well, otherwise the tires take much of the abuse in transit.

The following 2 users liked this post by RaulGCustom:
Black Betty (05-07-2013), RaulMindsHisOwn (07-09-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^UPS/FEDEX will hit you with an $8 additional handling surcharge for not having the tangible in a square box. I shipped some snow wheels/tires back in 2011 via fedex ground. Cheapest I could find. Cost ~$160 (for 4) from here to NY (coastal city). Might of been cheaper to ship by uship.com or similar. I had 'em packaged like above, but no saran wrap, just cardboard protecting the face. Buyer was ok with the price, so who was I to complain.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^UPS/FEDEX will hit you with an $8 additional handling surcharge for not having the tangible in a square box. I shipped some snow wheels/tires back in 2011 via fedex ground. Cheapest I could find. Cost ~$160 (for 4) from here to NY (coastal city). Might of been cheaper to ship by uship.com or similar. I had 'em packaged like above, but no saran wrap, just cardboard protecting the face. Buyer was ok with the price, so who was I to complain.
^ This may be case-by-case. I typically ask for quotes over the phone or online, using a "boxed" dimension.

When i drop-off the set, the price quote is the price i pay. Sometimes lower since my scale isn't very accurate. No surcharge.

Although i wonder if it has to do with the fact that i apply poly strapping to the sets, to give the UPS handlers something to hold on to.

OP, Raul's photo is as good as you can get it and the face is well-protected. Just double up on the boxes covering the face. If you don't have cellophane, just keep winding clear packaging tape around. If you can get hold of poly straps, even better.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Raul's photo is exactly how this is to be done. Perfect.

If you are not in a hurry on the transit time and have a bus station near you, check into shipping them as freight on Greyhound. It might take longer depending on where you're shipping from and to, but they can be cheaper on heavy or bulky items than USPS/FedEx/UPS.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 PM
GotAir523

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
gonna agree with blackbetty, raul did it perfectly. when i shipped out my stock sport rims mounted on tires, i didnt have any of that (kinda wish i did though) and ran them straight to the UPS store by my house. had to angle the tires in the biggest boxes they had, and filled them with packing popcorn. wrote fragile all over the box, and insured them. granted i paid a good amount (it came to $82 per wheel) from orlando to NY, nothing happened to the rims in transit, but after seeing what raul did, i kinda wish i did the same as well for extra precaution
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Rikter

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a set of 20s shipped to me which used duct tape to hold the cardboard on the face/back of the wheel. The tires were exposed but there was no issue with the tires. They are still pkg'ed that way if you want a picture since they've yet to be mounted thanks to snow but its basically like Raul's picture without the saran wrap.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good stuff, thanks guys
Old 03-02-2013, 06:23 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rikter
I had a set of 20s shipped to me which used duct tape to hold the cardboard on the face/back of the wheel. The tires were exposed but there was no issue with the tires. They are still pkg'ed that way if you want a picture since they've yet to be mounted thanks to snow but its basically like Raul's picture without the saran wrap.
Yeah, nothing much to worry about with the tires uncovered.

Tires are shipped barebones like that from Tirerack, Discount, TreadDepot, etc. Not to mention, they see more abuse installed than they'll likely ever see in UPS/FedEx/USPS' hands.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Pale Ale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last time I shipped wheels and tires shipnex was about 30% cheaper than UPS & FedEx

I packaged the wheels like instructed on The Definitive Guide to Selling, Packaging & Shipping Your Wheels, Rims and Tires and wasn't charged any extra fees for irregular packages. I guess YMMV.