MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires-307/)
-   -   Wheel repair: How much can they repair? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/228705-wheel-repair-how-much-can-they-repair.html)

ACoupe 11-13-2011 10:53 PM

Wheel repair: How much can they repair?

How much damage can those wheel repair shops handle?
I have a chunk about a half inch wide, and about 1/8th of an inch deep missing from the lip of one of my wheels (mishap in the rain). Could they fix something like that and how noticeable would the fix be?

sharkey 11-13-2011 11:18 PM

Every place is different, best bet is to call around locally..

Soliditude 11-13-2011 11:48 PM

Yes, that will be cake for them, provided it's a good place. Depending on where you live, Google some wheel repair places and look up the reviews. I curbed my stock rim badly last month and just had it repaired two days ago--it's now completely flawless and I can't even tell where the original damage was. They can definitely repair what you described, because mine was worse, it seems. It took them 20 minutes to repair it.

Here are the results of mine-

Before: WP_000285.jpg picture by Bodya97071 - Photobucket

After: WP_000288.jpg picture by Bodya97071 - Photobucket

ACoupe 11-14-2011 08:41 AM

WOW. Thank you for posting those results!
I really hope they can help me.

This has been eating away at me all weekend as I just noticed the damage on Saturday. I had hit a curb in a torrential downpour on Wed night (leaves obscuring the boundaries of the curb). Flew out of my car to look for damage, found none and was so incredibly happy...until Saturday.

I'm prepared to fix or replace it because it's too new a car for me to live with the damage. My OCD with the car is bad enough when it gets dirty, damage is unthinkable :P

nbast 11-14-2011 10:58 AM

The dealership had RIM Doctors come in and fix some curb rash much worse than Solitude's on my (new to me) 2009 x coupe. The results were amazing. it was $50/wheel, well worth it.

Soliditude 11-14-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by nbast (Post 3282426)
The dealership had RIM Doctors come in and fix some curb rash much worse than Solitude's on my (new to me) 2009 x coupe. The results were amazing. it was $50/wheel, well worth it.

Wow, you got a heck of a deal, man! For one wheel, it cost me $130. But I don't care. The results are so flawless that it feels like I just bought another wheel.

Yeah, OP, you're welcome. I'm sure you'll get it done sooner or later. My curbed wheel was eating at me, too, so I couldn't wait to get it fixed. Such a relief afterwards. The bottom line, it's completely fixable, so it's only a matter of "when" until you fix them. :biggthumpup:

Just don't end up replacing a new wheel for a scratch. A new wheel will run you around $700... So you'll be much better with a 25-minute repair.

Steve561 11-15-2011 05:59 AM

80 - 100 $ average per wheel