New tires for my baby

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Either get Potenza RE050As or Pilot Super Sports.. Don't waste your time on hankook.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Aismail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update: Michelin on our roads get bubbles and their side wall is too soft, we have ****ty roads and I have a lot of mountain trips so Toyo, hankook, and falken's not so good gripping is a problem for me! I've narrowed it down to 3 now:
1. Bridgstone potenza s001 (highly recommended by several tire places even over the RE050A)
2. Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric (an upgrade from my Eagles I have now)
3. Vredestein ultra sessenta
Yokohama S drive is still an option, because of good reviews and the fact that the infiniti company here uses them and suggested them...
We have a 3 day holiday now, I'm gonna compare the prices on wednesday and make up my mind by the weekend. Sizes i'm going with are either:
235/40 or 245/40 front
and
265/35 or 275/35 back
Any take on that?! thanks

Last edited by Aismail; 11-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Don't believe your local tire guy who says Michelin causes bubbles and not good for your roads etc, if it can handle the 50 degrees C weather here then it should be fine in Lebanon as well. It's the best out of all e tires you have listed, check out the reviews of it online.
Anyway it's your choice at the end of the day,we are just giving you suggestions.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Aismail

Originally Posted by Presto
Don't believe your local tire guy who says Michelin causes bubbles and not good for your roads etc, if it can handle the 50 degrees C weather here then it should be fine in Lebanon as well. It's the best out of all e tires you have listed, check out the reviews of it online.
Anyway it's your choice at the end of the day,we are just giving you suggestions.
I know Presto and I read all the reviews and you're right. Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I really appreciate it, that's why i posted my thread! But the thing is it's not the weather that's the problem, the UAE is worse, but here it never hits 50, at most 30 something and in the winter the worst i've experienced in the areas I frequent is a bit less than 10degrees. I don't know if you've been to Lebanon but have you seen our roads and potholes? it's the bad road conditions that will cause the bubbles not the weather, not to mention I drive on mountain roads on some days. And isn't the Pilot Super Sport a summer tire btw?! the rain hit us pretty hard last year and it seems this year it's worse...I need something to last me through the whole year.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Aismail
Update: Michelin on our roads get bubbles and their side wall is too soft,
I can tell you first hand the Michelin PSS have much stiffer sidewalls than the Bridgestone RE5050.

ANY 35 series tire will have issues with potholes, it's not specific to a brand.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Aismail

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
I can tell you first hand the Michelin PSS have much stiffer sidewalls than the Bridgestone RE5050.

ANY 35 series tire will have issues with potholes, it's not specific to a brand.
Oh ok, I didn't know that. They sure are more expensive here though, I think Michelin are the most expensive tires we have. Are they stiffer than the Potenza S001 and the Eagle F1 asymmetric too?

I'm on a budget that's all. I'm buying the tires this weekend. I think from the 4 I named last it'll come down to price vs value, wear and durability...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Aismail
Oh ok, I didn't know that. They sure are more expensive here though, I think Michelin are the most expensive tires we have. Are they stiffer than the Potenza S001 and the Eagle F1 asymmetric too?

I'm on a budget that's all. I'm buying the tires this weekend. I think from the 4 I named last it'll come down to price vs value, wear and durability...
Not sure, Im comparing my new Michelin PSS, to my old Bridgestone 5050.

Im never on a budget when it comes to tires and brakes.
Im sure the Michelins price are relative to the others when you compare durability.

My truck got 70K miles on its first set of Michelins, more than made up the price of another brand, and they stick.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM
FootLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The kuhmo ecsta 4x tirEs that were recommended to me because I wanted something that had nice performance in the wet and dry, but wanted something that was capable in the nasty mn winters. I was told that the sipes in the tires go all the way down. This isn't the case on a lot of tires, and after a little bit of ware, half the sipes are removed from the tire. That does not mean the tire is shot, but it won't be as effective through the whole life cycle of the tire. After those sipes are removed the tire basically becomes a wet/ dry tire, not a dry/wet/snow tire. Are these tires great for winter? No. But being that I have the awd, I think they will be sufficient enough. As someone has stated that the tread life is not very good, I have read multiple reviews on these and have seen less than a handful of those remarks.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
kmp

Your tire size choice is fine. I did it on mine with the stock 19's and I have the Hancooks.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Aismail

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Not sure, Im comparing my new Michelin PSS, to my old Bridgestone 5050.

Im never on a budget when it comes to tires and brakes.
Im sure the Michelins price are relative to the others when you compare durability.

My truck got 70K miles on its first set of Michelins, more than made up the price of another brand, and they stick.

70k miles wow!! but i doubt u drive ur truck the same way u drive ur G, i'm sure u won't get the same mileage. And I know the the S001 are much better than the 050. The thing about the budget is that it depends on how much I earn and how much I spend a month, but maybe I'll put my 245s from the back in the front for now and buy the 275s michelin for the back, and next month I'll get the front ones. But how come no one replied about the Vredestein on the thread?! I thought they were great tires!!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM
patrick2
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Im going the V12 route soon too
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM
adroitcaptor
Registered Member

T1Rs have somewhat comparable dry+cold performance to the RE050s. Once they are all the way into a heat cycle they stick much better. Wet performance is also slightly better and will inspire more confidence as the breaking point is simple to read. Turn in is slower and less precise; the side walls are softer and there is more roll-over in the corners. Up to 50% of the tread the tires are much quieter but noise does progress quickly through the tire's life. The T1Rs come at a much higher price however, and half or less of the wear. I do not expect to get over 16-18kmi out of the T1R. I would not buy the T1Rs again.

If I get more time I will expand on other tires and general info. Until then keep in mind YOU WILL NOT get 70k out of a tire with a 40 side wall.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Aismail

Smile

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
T1Rs have somewhat comparable dry+cold performance to the RE050s. Once they are all the way into a heat cycle they stick much better. Wet performance is also slightly better and will inspire more confidence as the breaking point is simple to read. Turn in is slower and less precise; the side walls are softer and there is more roll-over in the corners. Up to 50% of the tread the tires are much quieter but noise does progress quickly through the tire's life. The T1Rs come at a much higher price however, and half or less of the wear. I do not expect to get over 16-18kmi out of the T1R. I would not buy the T1Rs again.

If I get more time I will expand on other tires and general info. Until then keep in mind YOU WILL NOT get 70k out of a tire with a 40 side wall.

Nicely said. Thanks for the tip. I heard and read the same so I removed the T1R from my list a while ago. Which size do u have?

I checked the availability and prices today, the goodyear f1 asymmetric aren't available, the potenza S001 will cost 1,350$ in total, and the Vredestein 1,450$ in total, sizes 245/40R19 and 275/35R19. The Michelin on the other hand, u guys don't wanna know how much they cost here :P I'll go with either the vreds or the bridgestone.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:11 AM
adroitcaptor
Registered Member

I have the stock sizes (225/45; 245/40)

I am looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DW, or Michelin PSS (245/40;265/40).
There are a few others that I am considering but I am not done doing my research. Even though I live in Oregon and it rains a lot I rather have good traction on dry and predictably safe on wet. (Rather than go with a purpose wet tire or winter.)

I made the moronic mistake of going to Schwab and having them put on the "best". $1400 later and approximately 16k mi, I am very unhappy with my T1Rs. That said I had no time to research as I was charging the dealer for 3 mistakes they made.

Now I am shooting for price/mi and good performance. I do not want garbage tires and I certainly did not buy a G37S coupe to drive a 'soft ride'. I could care less about noise and the ride (that is what the bose is for). I want wear and handling. I will let you know if I have any deviations.

GL
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Aismail

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
I have the stock sizes (225/45; 245/40)

I am looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DW, or Michelin PSS (245/40;265/40).
There are a few others that I am considering but I am not done doing my research. Even though I live in Oregon and it rains a lot I rather have good traction on dry and predictably safe on wet. (Rather than go with a purpose wet tire or winter.)

I made the moronic mistake of going to Schwab and having them put on the "best". $1400 later and approximately 16k mi, I am very unhappy with my T1Rs. That said I had no time to research as I was charging the dealer for 3 mistakes they made.

Now I am shooting for price/mi and good performance. I do not want garbage tires and I certainly did not buy a G37S coupe to drive a 'soft ride'. I could care less about noise and the ride (that is what the bose is for). I want wear and handling. I will let you know if I have any deviations.

GL
You're right about the T1Rs. The Michelin are too expensive for me, I'm gonna go with the bridgestone potenza S001 most probably. If you choose the 245/40 in the front, I suggest you go with 265/35 or 275/35 in the back not 40, their diameter is closer to the stock's and usually it's better if you have a lower profile on the back than the front.
Attached Thumbnails New tires for my baby-diameter-difference.jpg  

Quick Reply: New tires for my baby