New tires for my baby

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Aismail
I'm looking into the Hankooks btw, are they all season or summer tires?!
They're summer but depending where you live, you can use them in all four seasons
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have Yokohama S-Drive tires and they are very good tires for the money.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM
FootLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have been researching alot of ultra high performance tires for my G37x, and these were highly recommended to me by not only a rep on tirerack.com, but 2 local tire shops. Motor trend and road and track give them a ton of praise, and the test results dont lie. The price is incredible right now because there is no long term reviews, but once the reviews come up, the tirerack rep told me they will go up substantially. also, if you buy 4 tires, you get a $50 mail in rebate.

Kumho Ecsta 4X
Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM
A_Palaroan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your looking for a good performance tire dont look into hankooks v12's. their is a thread on here about them and a bunch are complaining about the sidewall being too soft, breaks loose easy, and doesnt last that long.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
ricbel
Registered Member

Im running 245 and 275 bridgestone potenzas re 050 (stock brand). I plan to go yokohoma s-drive 245 and 275 when these are done
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
A_Palaroan

Originally Posted by myk1013
I have Yokohama S-Drive tires and they are very good tires for the money.
hows the sidewall on the s-drives and the treadlife?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:08 AM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by A_Palaroan
if your looking for a good performance tire dont look into hankooks v12's. their is a thread on here about them and a bunch are complaining about the sidewall being too soft, breaks loose easy, and doesnt last that long.
I'd be very interested to read into that. Care to the share the thread you're referring to?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM
3Pedals

my potenza's are great tires, but they dont last too long...going blizzak for this winter and then toyo for next spring/summer/fall
Old 11-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Swacer

Originally Posted by A_Palaroan
I second this. I had them on my Genesis Coupe when I had it, and it was eating through 1/32 about every 900 miles. And this was pretty conservative driving. The tires have a lot of sidewall roll, and unless you have TC on, those tires will slip on a second's notice.

The price was great, but boy did they die fast.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I wonder how well the michelin pilot supersport tires would work in stock sizes (245/45/18 and 225/50/18)...?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Swacer
I second this. I had them on my Genesis Coupe when I had it, and it was eating through 1/32 about every 900 miles. And this was pretty conservative driving. The tires have a lot of sidewall roll, and unless you have TC on, those tires will slip on a second's notice.

The price was great, but boy did they die fast.

I personally have the Hankook V12's on my G and I would highly recommend them. had them for about 5k miles now and not one complaint. Hold the road better than my stock size potenza's, no noticable wear so far and I am not easy on tires. More sidewall roll than the Potenza's but you arent going to run into an issue with that on the streets. Plus read the car and driver Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 Comparison Tests - Page 10 - Car and Driver. Hankook rated better than any tires besides the Michelin PS2's. As far as slipping at a seconds notice...they rated only second to Michelin PS2's in grip as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Aismail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's great guys. Thanks a lot for all your comments. I currently have Goodyear Eagle tires, those already came on the car when I bought it from Atlanta Georgia, stock size of 225/45/19 and 245/40/19. I'm looking for all season tires that can handle dry roads just as much as wet roads and grip very well, especially since my girlfriend's house is uphill in the mountains kind of and I live in the city, so driving up there every weekend can be really slippery. I live in Lebanon right now, it doesn't get too cold here and it doesn't rain as much u'd think, but I still prefer to use tires that can grip well and handle dry and wet roads. I've spoken to several friends who own the G and to several tire shops, here's the list of tires I was looking into and what they've said:

- Michelin Pilot Super Sport, too soft for our roads, and not really winter tires.
- Bridgestone Potenza RE760, although they're good, they're also summer tires.
- Toyo Proxes T1R, that was their number choice for me, they all told me I won't go wrong with these.
- Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, an upgrade from the normal Eagle that I currently have and that I personally loved.
- Hankook Ventus V12, as OB G said they are summer tires, but I might consider them, read good reviews...
- Yokohamas AVID 4VS or the ENVigor (W), no body told me about the S drive, I wonder which are better. I know at least the AVID are all season.
- Continental Extreme contact DWS, I kinda liked them but extremely expensive here for some reason!
- As for the Kumho's Footlong, they all told me to stay away because their thread gets burned out quickly and they're summer tires too...

It's really confusing. I wanna put 245/40 in the front, and 275/35 in the back. I might go with the Toyos, Hankooks, Goodyear, Yokohamas, or bridgestone :P 5 choices to narrow down from!

Have any of u tried or known someone that tried the Verdesteins and Falkens (452s or ZE912s) btw?!???

Last edited by Aismail; 11-03-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 PM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually bought the Toyo Proxes T1R like your first choice, but i went with 245/35 up front. I havent received the tires yet so i can't really do a review for them, but when i went ard checking on pictures and choices, narrowed them down to Bridgestone, Yokohama and Toyo, but i can't get hold of the other 2, so i went with Toyo. I think you should narrow them down more since you still have 5 choices haha.. maybe you should think about the cost and looks now so you can narrow them down more.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FootLong
i have been researching alot of ultra high performance tires for my G37x, and these were highly recommended to me by not only a rep on tirerack.com, but 2 local tire shops. Motor trend and road and track give them a ton of praise, and the test results dont lie. The price is incredible right now because there is no long term reviews, but once the reviews come up, the tirerack rep told me they will go up substantially. also, if you buy 4 tires, you get a $50 mail in rebate.

Kumho Ecsta 4X
I was sold on the General G-MAX but after looking their write-up over, I'm switching teams!

Are they quiet? I don't want a noisy tire. The Yoko AVID seems best for noise, but they don't corner as well.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 11-03-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Aismail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tWistedMissiOn
I actually bought the Toyo Proxes T1R like your first choice, but i went with 245/35 up front. I havent received the tires yet so i can't really do a review for them, but when i went ard checking on pictures and choices, narrowed them down to Bridgestone, Yokohama and Toyo, but i can't get hold of the other 2, so i went with Toyo. I think you should narrow them down more since you still have 5 choices haha.. maybe you should think about the cost and looks now so you can narrow them down more.
The Eagles I had didn't do well on corners, probably cuz i like to drift on every corner especially since traffic laws aren't very well respected here and cops don't really bother (a major problem for some drivers, but others take advantage of it obviously :P) u can speed drift do whatever u want, all u get is basically a slap on the wrist, and they just started putting radars on highways but it's a car parked on the side and u can see it from miles away! lol anyway the eagles are tricky on corners but if u're a good driver u can handle the car. I know I have to narrow it down. Hankook, Yokohama, or Toyos. Forget Michelin and Bridgestone. Might consider Falken or Verdestein, but for now I've narrowed it down to Hankooks, Yokohama, or Toyos. But among those 3, did I choose the right ones? Hankooks V12, Toyos T1R, and Yokohama S drive or ENVigor?

Quick Reply: New tires for my baby