mounting tires for high end wheels, help!!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mounting tires for high end wheels, help!!

There are plenty of members here with high end wheels and I just got my first set. My volk gt30's came in and now it's time to mount tires to them! So I must ask you guys, where did you take it to for mounting? I dont really want to take it to a chain store as most of them suck. Pepboys messed up my stock wheels and I will never go back. I am very concerned with getting a scratch free install!

Doing some research on google and calling around, it is apparently an art form to mount 20 inch tires, especially low profile. I am running 245/35 and 275/30. Couple chain stores I called said they have the latest and greatest machine to mount the tires(but i doubt they do wheels like volks) Couple performance shops admitted they dont have the latest machine but they have mounted lots of high end wheels with scratch free.

I have phantom black gt30's so any scratch would stick out like a sore thumb. It boils down to this: Do I go to a place like STS tire with new machines or a reputable performance shop with experience?

btw, I am located in Philly, PA if anyone can recommend a good place. I am willing to travel an hour for a guaranteed scratch free install. thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know of a specific business to direct you to but I do know that those wheels have to be reverse mounted (the wheel has to be placed face down on the machine and the tire installed from the back side due to the wide lip on the face). A tire machine that uses a spindle mount for the rim would be prefered over any style of "rim clamp" machine since it would most certainly mare the finish on your wheels.
I have the same rims and mounted the tires myself at my shop, I must have spent an hour on each wheel.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
beerme986

since my wheels have to be reverse mounted, I assume the front of the wheel will be untouched? Any specific things I should ask/look for when choosing a shop?

mike, i see your in the northeast, are you anywhere near PA? will gladly pay you since i know you have experience on these wheels.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I can't direct yo to a specific place, but be certain that you tell them that you are really picky about your brand new expensive wheels and want them mounted without a single scratch. Let them know that if they damage any one of your brand new wheels, they will be replacing it. This will weed out the poop butts right away. For those that can promise damage free work, let them know that yo will bring all your wheel/tire business to them and send your friends.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986
since my wheels have to be reverse mounted, I assume the front of the wheel will be untouched? Any specific things I should ask/look for when choosing a shop?

mike, i see your in the northeast, are you anywhere near PA? will gladly pay you since i know you have experience on these wheels.
I'm in NY about 30 min away from Milford PA, it would be a bit out of your way.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
beerme986

well there are a few very high end shops close to me so I will check them out. Fabspeed is minutes from me (for those of you that dont know, they do custom work for lambos', ferrari's and porsche) I figure if they can mount a lambo tire, they can do mine also a.w.e. tuning is minutes as well. Think I will be in good hands regardless.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Just look for reputable shop and give him the speech like BlackBetty said and tip him upfront $20.00 bucks and tell him your looking out for him so he should look out for you.

Trust me tipping upfront works! When I did my rims I tipped up front $40.00 dollars and the dude went and got gloves and carried and placed each rim in a plastic garbage bag and put them in my car.

ALSO IMOPRTANT!! Tell them not to over-torque your rims and to torque to 85-90lbs each bolt.

Ive had an issue in past where I could not get the frigin lugs of the car with a flat tire. Had to get a tow truck out with a breaker bar to get them off. Since then I've purchased my own breaker bar/torque wrench and I take rims off and hand torque on my car. I will not let anyone but dealership touch it.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
beerme986

I took it to a reputable place but they still ended up scratching one of the rims. They told me to drop it off for the day so I couldnt tip the guy working on the wheels as they were busy. ugh atleast its only a hair line scratch, but it sticks out on mattle black wheels. could have been worse i guess