MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires-307/)
-   -   Any downsides with 20" wheels? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/189374-any-downsides-with-20-wheels.html)

machinist 01-11-2009 10:28 PM

Any downsides with 20" wheels?

So I've gotta 2009 G37x coupe and thinking of selling my wheels & rims and replacing it with Vossen's, but do you guys think I should get:

1) 19" Vossen's or
2) 20" Vossen's

What are the pros vs cons with getting 20" vs 19" (in terms of appearance, driving comfort, etc)? Thanks!

NJlakeshoreG 01-11-2009 10:53 PM

20's!!!! thats not even a question!!! lol

the only down side is thinner side wall tires, be more careful...thats all...nuttin serious...also the looks yo will get will bost ur ego more, so be careful !!! haha

DrJones 01-11-2009 10:55 PM

Its funny because 10 years ago you'd never put 20's on a car and get away with it

aliiin 01-11-2009 10:57 PM

20 ftw...!

machinist 01-11-2009 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by NJlakeshoreG (Post 2518063)
20's!!!! thats not even a question!!! lol

the only down side is thinner side wall tires, be more careful...thats all...nuttin serious...also the looks yo will get will bost ur ego more, so be careful !!! haha

Keeping in mind that I'm fairly new to this so having thinner side wall tires...what are the disadvantages to this? You had mentioned to be more careful...so does that mean not driving too fast or breaking too hard? And are having 20"s going to wear the tires out much faster? And will I feel the bumps of the road too much with 20"s?

Thanks for the feedback!

aliiin 01-11-2009 11:03 PM

you don't want to hit a pothole or go over speed humps too fast, if you have thinner sidewalls, your rim is closer to the contact with the tire and ground, therefore going over something unexpectedly can damage your rim

machinist 01-11-2009 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by aliiin (Post 2518074)
you don't want to hit a pothole or go over speed humps too fast, if you have thinner sidewalls, your rim is closer to the contact with the tire and ground, therefore going over something unexpectedly can damage your rim

Oh Sh1t...really?! That makes sense. Toronto roads are horrible...lots of potholes and I've never been patient with going over speed bumps. I mean there's a pretty minor difference between 19"s & 20"s though, right? Hmm...I dunno...:confused2:

Black Betty 01-11-2009 11:21 PM

I wouldn't be so worried by going up to 20" about the shorter sidewall too much, if you drive carefully it's not much of an issue, at least not to me.

Other issues are: Wheels are more expensive (but tires are cheaper than 19's). Wheels are heavier and your rotational mass is further out from the hub which will hurt acceleration and mileage but not by a huge amount unless you get some really heavy wheels. With 20's you'll always have to be alert to being approached by hot women who only want to use your body for mindless sex only to get closer to your wheels. Be wary of them and you'll be OK. ;)

HamstersG 01-11-2009 11:41 PM

If you run what most are with 20's, which is 245/35 and 275/30, then the sidewall is larger than my GTI with stock 18" rims.

machinist 01-11-2009 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 2518087)
I wouldn't be so worried by going up to 20" about the shorter sidewall too much, if you drive carefully it's not much of an issue, at least not to me.

Other issues are: Wheels are more expensive (but tires are cheaper than 19's). Wheels are heavier and your rotational mass is further out from the hub which will hurt acceleration and mileage but not by a huge amount unless you get some really heavy wheels. With 20's you'll always have to be alert to being approached by hot women who only want to use your body for mindless sex only to get closer to your wheels. Be wary of them and you'll be OK. ;)

ROFL...you're hilarious! 20"s it is then! hah...good point. So all in all, considering I won't be dropping the car at all (for fear of bottoming out, etc), you're saying 20"s will def look hotter. I was told by the dealership that since I drive the '09 G37x (AWD), I may have to be particular about what wheels I order. So for anyone that can answer this question, when I call Vossen, what should I ask them for? Just to make sure I order the right specs of course. Thanks! :)

Black Betty 01-11-2009 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by machinist (Post 2518095)
ROFL...you're hilarious! 20"s it is then! hah...good point. So all in all, considering I won't be dropping the car at all (for fear of bottoming out, etc), you're saying 20"s will def look hotter. I was told by the dealership that since I drive the '09 G37x (AWD), I may have to be particular about what wheels I order. So for anyone that can answer this question, when I call Vossen, what should I ask them for? Just to make sure I order the right specs of course. Thanks! :)

Didn't realize you were in the X. You may have trouble finding 20s in the correct offset. I don't know what it is.

machinist 01-11-2009 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 2518096)
Didn't realize you were in the X. You may have trouble finding 20s in the correct offset. I don't know what it is.

Uh oh :eek: Just my luck...haha Thanks for the suggestions either way Black Betty! Guess I'll have to delve a bit deeper and find out by calling the dealership & Vossen tomorrow

Serbiasrt8 01-12-2009 02:32 AM

///

Originally Posted by machinist (Post 2518076)
Oh Sh1t...really?! That makes sense. Toronto roads are horrible...lots of potholes and I've never been patient with going over speed bumps. I mean there's a pretty minor difference between 19"s & 20"s though, right? Hmm...I dunno...:confused2:

Hmm well if you are not patient going over speed bumps,then maybe you should get a JEEP.
:D

chasemyaccord 01-12-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 2518087)

Really? 20" tires are cheaper than 19"? Did not know that!

Gamedog 01-12-2009 12:08 PM

^ Werd...