Vendor Comments/Reviews/Feedback Comments, Reviews, and Feedback on MyG37 Vendors

Adam's Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Adam's Rotors

I don't usually post negative reviews, but this particular situation has especially upset me and I think that the rest of the G community should be aware of whats happened with this company.

To start off, I purchased Adams Rotors drilled front and rear rotors (Drilled was a big mistake, I know) and pads back in October 2013. Adam's Rotors from what I have read online has had nothing but positive reviews which is one of the main reasons I ordered from them. They arrived sometime in November and I installed them with no problem. They looked great, no noise and I was very happy with my purchase. The car is driven lightly (7k/yr) and garaged nightly, never tracked. Fast forward to mid may, about 5k miles later. I pull out of the garage on my way to work and I feel thud thud thud in the brake pedal the first time I step on it. I get out and check to find the right front rotor to be cracked.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  55.8 KB

Immediately I contacted Adam for a replacement since they are covered for one year from the time of purchase. Adam responded quickly and said that a new rotor would be sent out as soon as possible. 3.5 weeks later, he sent not one but two rotors. I go to the shop to get them installed and find out that he sent me the sport package rotors after he verified with me that they were the non sport ones. Ok great so I just waited almost a month for these and they're the wrong ones. Luckily I had a old set of front rotors that I had to get installed so I would have a vehicle to drive ($100 for installation) After I let Adam know that he sent me the wrong size, he sent me one proper sized rotor about 2 weeks later and told me to keep the bigger ones for my time and sell them for my time. As soon as it got here, I had both the new rotor and the one old "Adams rotor" that hadnt cracked installed (another $100 for install) and the car was great again. Two weeks goes by, and on my way to work again I felt something familiar in the pedal. Get out and check now the left one is cracked.

Name:  photo4444.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  59.7 KB

I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of Adam's Rotors. I know that getting drilled rotors was a mistake, but being that I never track the car or drive it at the limit I didnt think daily driving would lead to a cracked rotor regardless, let alone two. This quote is taken directly off Adamsrotors.com- "our rotors simply don't crack. all machining, dipping, coating, and packaging is done in-house at AR." Obviously there is a manufacturing defect in both the front rotors I ordered in October. I don't feel safe driving with them on, So I'm returning to the stock Infiniti rotors which I had to purchase new today and get installed (Close to $900 total with installation) I feel like the purchase was a waste, and the extra money I have had to pay because of the shoddy build quality of Adam's Rotors is totally unnecessary. Yes, he allowed me to keep and sell the front rotors, but that does not nearly make up for the time I have been without a car or the cost of installation three separate times, and finally replacing them entirely for fear of my own safety.

Some people may say that I have been abusing the car or tracking it or maybe water hit it when the rotor was hot. ABSOLUTELY NOT. The car has only been driven in good weather in those two weeks since the new rotor came, never abused, no panic stops, no water has touched the car at all.

I emailed Adam a picture of the second cracked rotor two days ago and he has not responded.

Last edited by fastlane45; 07-14-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Pics not showing up
Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sure we did...we responded within the hour. check your records please.
we said we'd make a replacement and are in the process now.
we pride ourself in top-notch service, just as we are replying to this very thread...

we're sorry for the mix-up in the original set of replacements.
we sent you a pair in good faith, just because, not just one as our policy covers.
they happened to be wrong yes...an honest mistake. and we let you keep them as well...
we rushed the correction out (1 to speed things along) and that was that.

now this...well we'll take care of it too.
...so what's so horrible?

cracked rotors simply don't happen with us...hence the claim we make.
we've had maybe 5 cases in the last 8 years of this ever growing, steady business. that's the honest truth...our great reviews vouch.
things happen, defects occur, and/or oddball specific issues are bound to happen out of our control. I'm sorry.

yes, there front pair of blanks must be defective. so what?
we're happy to replace them and are with a smile...
there is no safety concern...these cracks are not detrimental to the rotors integrity I assure you.

I'm not sure the point of this thread, but it only hurts us.
we have provided a killer service since day one along with a great set of custom rotors...2 cracked, well rotors do that unfortunately.
yes we claim ours do not and again they rarely EVER do, but when they do we take care of and stand behind them.

your new one iix in the works, feel free to email us if you have further questions.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:59 PM
fastlane45

You must be kidding, a cracked rotor is not safe to drive on and this is the second one that has cracked like I said had not been abused in any way, only daily driven lightly at that. They aren't tiny hairline cracks, they go entirely through one side of the rotor. The bottom line is that they are costing me money out of pocket that should not have in the first place due to the build quality of them. It's really great that you replace them, but it takes close to a month and for that month your customer is left with the decision to either drive unsafely on a cracked rotor or go purchase new ones for the time being. Neither option is welcoming. If they were made correctly to begin with, there wouldnt be an issue.

To respond to your claim that you responded within an hour, the last email I received from you was June 6th.

Last edited by fastlane45; 07-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:44 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

but it is...granted we're making a replacement, you have plenty of time and life on it.
you'd be surprised how many other brand machined rotors are cracked and remain cracked for the life of the rotor...but again we're replacing it, I'm not saying to "deal" with it.
I'm simply saying there is not a safety concern...it's hardly as deep as you think it is.

and let's get something straight...
we did nothing "wrong" and there was nothing to do differently "to begin with" here.
we use premium pre-manufactured blanks like ANY other machined rotor company out there. there is obviously an issue with the casting...it can happen.
but all machining, dipping, coating, and packaging is done in-house at AR. first, we chamfers each drill hole which adds a beveled edge to each thru hole. secondly we pay extreme attention to how the pattern is laid down when machining. taking meticulous measures to avoid each and every vent rib which are the internal cooling veins (on vented discs) in these rotors, avoids issue with cracking. AR will not drill a rotor we are unable to do so with and thus cracking isn't a concern and why we have such great luck with it not happen. this is another reason why unlike many, we also offer dimples and unique slot patterns, ways of avoiding this and offering better, longer lasting, quality products.
regardless as we've covered here, AR also backs them by a 1 year exchange warranty per rotor on manuf. defects, this being one of them...

with this all covered openly & honestly both here and on our website, I don't see what the point of a negative thread like this.
we've taken care of you and are currently are..I don't see our fault. you are misinformed to say we did something wrong or failed to do something the first time.
products have defects or unforeseen issues...this is clearly one of them.

as for not receiving the email, I'm not sure what's going on there, but I myself, Adam the owner replied same day.
as you know I have personally been in contact with you the entire process, why would I stop now...including here on this thread.

once more, it's a non-issue and we're on it...you'll have it very soon and I again apologize for the issue you're having.
let's stop the back and fourth about something any brands rotor could have happen to it...I guarantee our service and policy trumps ANY other big box brand, let alone out offering/custom options.

goodspeed,
-a
Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM
fastlane45

The purpose of this thread is to make other G owners aware of what has happened to me. One rotor, yea I get it, rotors crack. But two? This is my first experience with your company and 50% of what you sent me has broken within 6 months of use which I made very clear was never abusive. That is something I would want to know before making a purchase, therefore I am sharing it here.

It would be different if I would be without a car for a day or two, and installation cost was reimbursed for the defective products you sold. It's more like a month and your customer has to eat the cost of installation whether it be time installing themselves or money. 3 separate times I've had to pay to replace your rotors that have broken, and that cost has far exceeded the value of the two rotors you told me to keep and sell.

The bottom line is I'm frustrated at my purchase and the service afterwards. Like I said, I've never read anything but positive reviews on your rotors which is why I decided to go with yours in October. I don't like being told that driving on the broken rotors is fine, its not. It's extremely unsafe and I find it very unprofessional for you to suggest something like that where a rotor is fully cracked through one side and you say " these cracks are not detrimental to the rotors integrity I assure you", or "the front pair of blanks must be defective. so what?". The "so what" is that your end user is left with eating all that cost again and again as they break, and the integrity of that rotor is compromised, therefore my safety is compromised, not to mention the other people driving around me.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

you're taking it how you choose to...
it happened and that's a fact. that's all that was meant by that comment...crying over spilt milk is of no good to anyone.
but us taking care of it is the solution to it...period.

my service thereafter is nothing but stellar...why are continuing to you saying otherwise?
question is, why air what is clearly a defective pair of discs and post about an oddball occurrence in a negative light, despite the company taking care if it and making it right.
if you are expecting us to pay for you labor well that's just not how it works...no company does that, let alone replies and handles emails/post directly by the owner.
and our info page even explains to do a visual comparison before dissembling anything, just in case; it would have saved you said labor, you choose to have done.

mistakes happen. defects happen. lost emails happen.
with all that said, we still reply, keep in perfect contact, and replace what needs to be replaced.

the point is a post like this ONLY hurts us.
skim readers assume the worse and you are just putting negative feedback out there despite the fact we are warrantying it. we're not refusing you.
there is nothing but positive feedback out there, because we have killer products and better service...
this in itself proving this is of course a random rarity that doesn't need to be blown up and speared over the forum for a one time atypical occurrence.

it's like yelp...80% of the time people take the time to post negative things, not the positives. oh the joy's the of the internet.

Originally Posted by fastlane45
this particular situation has especially upset me and I think that the rest of the G community should be aware of whats happened with this company.
...really? you want the world to think our rotors crack? to warn people?
there is a reason that isn't what you found searching...but this comes of that way, taken out of context.
yes, yours did unfortunately, which is very odd, and we're fixing it...I feel it ends there.

your frustration is valid. we apologize...of course it's less than ideal.
pair that with an initial mistake in replacement, even more...but is this necessary? not at all. seems more like you never intended us to see this thread let alone reply.
we only wish you'd have some consideration for a small business who does it's sales online...you don't care and want to vent. well we do and we will defend.

for one who is not only in immediate reply, who it taking care of your problems, but is also a paid vendor here, who supports your community and keeps ths lights on, in these very boards you are posting.
...it just does't make sense to us. we hope everyone else can see things happen, we honor our warranty, and we are quick to do so. this is hardly the norm.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
From an outside perspective, I appreciate warnings like this. Sure, the rotors are being replaced, but install costs on something advertised as products that shouldn't break seem to be racking up (if my math is right, he's already at $1100 for 2 installs and replacement rotors to drive on while the unsafe, broken ones are being replaced). The cost of ownership of his purchase is worrisome.

When I buy something and have it installed, I expect that to be that. Sure, I expect to pay the initial install fees, but anything after that as a result of poor craftsmanship (yes, even accidentally poor craftsmanship) I would hope would be met with a willingness by the company providing the product to absorb some of that cost, especially when it happens multiple times.

All that said, OP, your pics aren't showing up. Image links are done in a forum by using [img]Picture address here[/img]

You can edit your posts by using the links I have below, just remove the *'s I added in before the IMG tags:

[IMG]*http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/gforc3/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg*[/IMG]

[IMG]*http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/gforc3/photo4444.jpg*[/IMG]

I could just post them for you, but I would rather show someone how to do stuff... better way to learn...
The following users liked this post:
fastlane45 (07-14-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

^ no rotor company does that...or with any product really.
that's like asking us to warranty a warped rotor...it can happen and does. but it's not our fault.
paid labor is a variable and an option...and on a wear item; thus the argument never ends.

age, miles driven, driving style...this goes for ANY part. who's to say...
we don't argue, we replaced them.

and ANY other company out there has rotors that are able to and are cracking FAR more often than ours. with warranty's I cannot speak for even.
again our in-house, made-to-order machine work avoids this well over 90% of the time...something very unique to us.
this is the blank's issue and we can do nothing more than swap.

again I remind you we initially did send 2 front replacements...
amongst the initial fitment error, we choose to do a single needed just satisfy the quickness for the added delay.
we then let him keep them for a resale in a local market or here in the classifieds...tho unconventional, that is a great opportunity for some recoop.

and to close...this didn't happen twice. it happened to 2 different rotors of the same front end, obviously part of the same batch of casting, hence the issue.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 PM
fastlane45

Quick to do so? 3.5 weeks to replace a single rotor is quick? Ok brah. These forums are exactly where I first read about your rotors, so of course I knew you would see this thread. How could I not "air this in a negative light"? This whole situation is negative.

I'm glad I got a reply here cuz I most definitely did not get one after my second rotor cracked.

I'm getting tired of saying the same thing over and over again, I've been paying out of pocket from YOUR company's mistakes, MY safety has been compromised not once, but twice and I'm supposed to be happy because your replacing the rotors 3-4 weeks from now, and then I can pay to install them again for the third time and hope these dont break like the last two have? Thats comical bro.

Why am I paying for your mistakes over and over? That money should be reimbursed at least for the installs due to your faulty rotors. Like I've said before, the cost of installation has far exceeded the value of the rotors you told me to keep and sell.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 PM
fastlane45

You've admitted yourself within this thread that it was obviously a manufacturing defect. Why should your customer be responsible monetarily for that and not the seller? Especially one as reputable as you claim to be
Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 PM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by adamsrotors
^ no rotor company does that...or with any product really.
that's like asking us to warranty a warped rotor...it can happen and does. but it's not our fault.
paid labor is a variable and an option...and on a wear item; thus the argument never ends.
Based on the OP's post, it seems like 1 rotor lasted 5 months and the other lasted 6.5 months. I understand these are "wear" parts, but that does seem like an awfully short period of time to total failure of the rotors. You stated that it "wasn't your fault", but previously stated that it was a manufacturing defect, which, if these are made in house, is the very definition of your fault.

That said, I don't know the OP, have never bought rotors from anyone and really don't have a horse in this race. If your track record is as good as you say it is (and I believe that it is... the fact that you jumped into the thread right away, didn't bash the OP, respectfully defended your product and were clear and concise in your previous and ongoing efforts towards resolution speaks volumes), I would think that in a one-off situation such as this where both rotors were obviously from a bad batch (which is, based on your track record, a very rare occurrence) would be handled in a one-off manner that wouldn't leave the buyer so far out of pocket.

I checked your site and looked at the price of rotors there... letting him keep the non-sport ones seems to be significant, so I understand what you are talking about when you say it was a great opportunity to recoup. However, the safety issues and inability to use the car for extended periods of time in addition to the cost are troubling.

I guess I can see both sides to this, but specifically as a consumer, I understand where the OP's frustration is.

Last edited by DBall; 07-03-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
fastlane45

Just wanted to update this thread... I still have not received a single email from Adam since the second rotor cracked, and the only communication we have had is through this thread. Finding it extremely unprofessional that nothing has been done besides defending themselves throughout this process
Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

we're obviously getting caught in your SPAM filter...
why would we be in contact here, publicly, and not in a private email to avoid more of this smearing?
we continue to reply to the ongoing thread we have with you, just as we request everyone do, which we have since replied to now, twice.

on thursday of last week we updated, letting you know it was leaving mid-this week. you should have by end of week...tracking will be sent, just as we have before, when they do.

feel free to PM us if you have any questions now or until then and we'll communicate that way...or try giving us a new message after you examine your settings or maybe a new address all together.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:59 PM
fastlane45

I work in IT believe me when I say there are no issues on my end, that's a joke. Besides that, no other issues brought up in this thread have been addressed