TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator

Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 PM
chinua

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator

APPLIED VEHICLE:
2008 G37 Coupe (CV36)

IF YOU CONFIRM:
A slight ticking / tapping / knocking noise coming from the bank 2 (driver side) VVEL (Variable Valve Event &
Lift) actuator
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ITB08-028.pdf (88.7 KB, 2499 views)
Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 PM
JonnyOzero3

Hmm, I thought my engine seemed a bit noisy. I wonder if this is the problem.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 AM
sahiwal007

does anyone know how the promblem sounds like?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
vINCe_Inc

hmm. interesting. but no idea.
btw, sometimes i hear a 'clicking' sound when my steering wheel turns.
also, a slight humming noise from the engine when i accelerate 'softly' , but cant hear the noice when i accelerate hard. and its not because its being masked.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 PM
JaySpeed
Banned

My car is in the shop right now for this repair. It has been going on for a while now and the dealer had no clue. They thought it was loose silicone in the heater core, so they flushed it several times.

It sounds kinda like a blow off valve releasing air, but more laments terms.

If you go outside get a big leaf, take your kids squirt gun and shoot it at the leaf as fast as you can you will reproduce the sound.

It only happens when you accel. in first up to 40 mph, then it goes away until about 55-57 and comes back until after 62 or 63.

I will know tomorrow if this is the problem or not. Nothing else could be my problem. Up until that my car has been flawless.

later,
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JaySpeed
My car is in the shop right now for this repair. It has been going on for a while now and the dealer had no clue. They thought it was loose silicone in the heater core, so they flushed it several times.

It sounds kinda like a blow off valve releasing air, but more laments terms.

If you go outside get a big leaf, take your kids squirt gun and shoot it at the leaf as fast as you can you will reproduce the sound.

It only happens when you accel. in first up to 40 mph, then it goes away until about 55-57 and comes back until after 62 or 63.

I will know tomorrow if this is the problem or not. Nothing else could be my problem. Up until that my car has been flawless.

later,

I'm a little confused on what you're mentioning. I've noticed a humming noise while driving when I'm slowly accelerating.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by vINCe_Inc
hmm. interesting. but no idea.
btw, sometimes i hear a 'clicking' sound when my steering wheel turns.
also, a slight humming noise from the engine when i accelerate 'softly' , but cant hear the noice when i accelerate hard. and its not because its being masked.
This is the same issue I was facing. At low speeds (reversing etc) if i turned my steering wheel a good amount (like to take a 90 deg turn or something) there would be this clicking noise coming from the front of the car. Brought it to the dealership and they said it has something to do with the steering column and they are replacing it.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
IP37

had this done on my car, but i'm hearing the noise again. it's not very loud, but it's there
Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM
JaySpeed
Banned

So far mine it good to go. They also fixed that lunging forward issue in manual mode and sport mode.

At first i did notice that it shifted weird and felt not as quick and the first tank of gas afterwards went extremly quick. But now it seems to be back to normal.

Probably the computer learning my driving habits again.

Hope it stays sound free.

thanks,
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the engine noise isloud and sounds really bad. after reprogramming, sounds smooth, like it should and runs much better.

I didnt know it was a service bulletin until they told me.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM
lingtsui

OMG I am having the same problem.
Everyone is making seem like I am hearing things but the noise is there.
And same here... I only hear it when I accelerate slowly during the initial 0-40 mph
Once I am at 50mph I do not hear it ...and when I am driving slow over bumpy roads I hear it even more!
I took it to the dealership twice now. They have no idea what it is. They claim they have checked everything and nothing is wrong.
It is a very dull muted roaring or humming noise ...don't know what is the best way to describe it. It is driving me nuts.
Should I bring it to another dealership and see if they can help me?
Has anyone here successfully got it fixed? If so what was done to fix the noise?
PLEASE HELP! For the time being I am just turning the music on real loud so I do not hear it

Last edited by lingtsui; 07-03-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM
JaySpeed
Banned

Yep, i have had it fixed. Just have any dealer check the latest TSB. They may not be able to fix it, because they have not received the computer upgrade software yet. All dealers should have by now. It has been about 3 weeks now and about 350 miles and it is perfect.

What they do is an ECM upgrade that has something to do with the way the left side of the variable vale time is done or something (VVEL).

My car ran a little rough right afterwards, shifted oddly (5at), felt like less power, but after it relearned my driving habits, it is perfect.

I have exhaust and intakes, so i definitely could tell it was a little less powerful.

thanks,
Old 07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
nogoodname
Banned

wow, the sound is super noticeable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 PM
lingtsui

^^ yes it is but apparently only to me. The service guys reprogrammed the ECM but nothing happened...sound still there ....they have no idea where it is coming from and they put a good 50 miles on my car I must be the fool to think that they can fix my car
Old 07-10-2008, 09:07 AM
IP37

^ does your sound sound like it's coming from the driver's side of the motor, or the rear of the motor? stick your head in there and try to see where it's coming from

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator